UniROM 8.0.K - GDB Debugging, install/backup to/from memory card, homebrew from memcard, etc

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
mistamontiel
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
Motto: ..!!

Post by mistamontiel » March 29th, 2020, 3:06 am

Burnt a trio today all Redump of course

Doom perfect but I don't know how to return to frontmenu if there is a way?

Final Doom strange for being so similar.. that only stays in UniROM does not proceed when finds SLUS-00331

Duke Nukem 3D plays just fine! Laggy sumbitch ain't it!!

mistamontiel
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by mistamontiel » April 6th, 2020, 8:05 am

Ah dear; I see ImportPlayer doesn't have screen positioning

If the game doesn't have it you would manually adjust display

EDIT: Don't think that draws everything.. Mickey's Wild Adventure I've played with positioning+size size just stretching I don't see health counter nothing :crying

EDIT 2: Saw a YT of it seems like no health indication but there is water and shit that I can't make see-able! Durn blasted PAL boosted res

EDIT 3!: I see, display can't make magic, it is up to the game to have positioning built-in to see all of it

EDIT 4: X.Racing SLPS-01063 (shame that it's still all English) once it needs to draw graphics it hangs.. I tried its PAL counter-part Explosive Racing that variant runs but alas does not support screen positioning

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » April 10th, 2020, 7:30 am

Hah yeah, sucks about the screen positioning.

I've had a look at how IPLight does it - works quite well, but games like Croc 2 (multiple .exe files) don't work so well!

I did have a *lot* of luck with PAL4U (which you apply to the actual ROMs but does a fantastic job) on real hardware...
There's the possibility (possibility mind, not a sure thing) of patching each .exe as it finishes loading as that does.

As for general progress, it's more or less done now - just tidying up and tweaking. Hopefully I can get a bunch of time over easter weekend! I'll give you a prod when there's something to test! cheers :)

mistamontiel
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by mistamontiel » April 11th, 2020, 10:31 am

I finished burning my PAL bucket list!

Firebugs SCES-03884 refuses to leave its native 50hz ={

Max Power Racing does not budge only hangs IPLight, so I tried C3 Racing also a no-go

Wipeout 3 Special (PAL exclusive) plays very fucking great!!

mistamontiel
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by mistamontiel » April 12th, 2020, 2:59 am

Thanks for PAL4U!! More re-burns unfortunately I first did Explosive Racing and does not bump the image position up like it says ={

And.. I don't know what IPL does but it stops like interrupts UniROM glitching, Explosive Racing now that I 60hz'd it just like its X-Racing counter-part hangs when game engine runs

Editing back with reports on my few PAL games going to PAL4U and straight from UniROM and the ones could not make play even out of IPL

FIREBUGS WORKS NOW!! Take that IPL! Screen positioned in options checked out splitscreen and perfect ^.^

EDIT: Same for Max Power/C3 Racing! YEY!! Well I think if can't Y -16 not get everything.. not see everything in this actually that's menus, ingame very minor cut

Just curiously I tried on Silent Hill 1 and PAL4U freezes on it because of the 480/576i mode the inventory screen uses I assume?

EDIT 2: Oh dear! Team Buddies SCES-01923 music stutters and Wip3out Special SCES-02845 confetti glitched graphics

No such bugs when IPL boot-disc

Ha! I tried Ape Escape PAL since the voice-acting is supposed to be better and got the copy protection no input.. ooo I see crack even NTSC selector in one from GameCopyWorld, didn't see graphic garbage unlike my own NTSC-U copy

grrrr!! Not like to re-visit DOSBox if that would even make patcher work :oops:

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » April 17th, 2020, 10:31 am

mistamontiel wrote: April 12th, 2020, 2:59 am Thanks for PAL4U!! More re-burns unfortunately I first did Explosive Racing and does not bump the image position up like it says ={

And.. I don't know what IPL does but it stops like interrupts UniROM glitching, Explosive Racing now that I 60hz'd it just like its X-Racing counter-part hangs when game engine runs

Editing back with reports on my few PAL games going to PAL4U and straight from UniROM and the ones could not make play even out of IPL

FIREBUGS WORKS NOW!! Take that IPL! Screen positioned in options checked out splitscreen and perfect ^.^

EDIT: Same for Max Power/C3 Racing! YEY!! Well I think if can't Y -16 not get everything.. not see everything in this actually that's menus, ingame very minor cut

Just curiously I tried on Silent Hill 1 and PAL4U freezes on it because of the 480/576i mode the inventory screen uses I assume?

EDIT 2: Oh dear! Team Buddies SCES-01923 music stutters and Wip3out Special SCES-02845 confetti glitched graphics

No such bugs when IPL boot-disc

Ha! I tried Ape Escape PAL since the voice-acting is supposed to be better and got the copy protection no input.. ooo I see crack even NTSC selector in one from GameCopyWorld, didn't see graphic garbage unlike my own NTSC-U copy

grrrr!! Not like to re-visit DOSBox if that would even make patcher work :oops:

LMAO thanks so much for all this testing - I've discovered so many new games and burned through 2 stacks of CDRs yesterday :p Given you a credit for that 'cause I really appreciate the effort!
Good news is everything I've tried so far works fine (including with the NPAL) - Except Tomb Raider 3. Working on it!

No magical weirdness in Mission Impossible either.

Here's the Unirom 8 Teaser btw

Aiming to release this week and opensource the week after.

Apache Thunder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Apache Thunder » April 18th, 2020, 11:38 am

Really cool to see UniRom getting an update/open source variation. I've recently acquired a PS1 (a 7501 NTSC unit to be specific). I was hoping this would be flashable on one of those Code Card devices. But it seems not. So might have to get a Action Replay or GameShark. Anyways the UniRom flasher detects my cards as unknown. Any chance this card will ever be flashable? Here's a close up images of the chips. It doesn't look like it has an EEPROM, But I don't know much about this sorta thing:
snapshot20200417192000.jpg
Fun story on this one. I have two of these things now. The first one came damaged in shipping. I guess the connector got pushed on a little bit. Two of the pins got bent when I first inserted it into the parallel port. One broke when I was trying to bend it back. I ended up getting a refund on that one though. Didn't have to send it back so I tried to repair it further. The connector plastic piece came off relatively easily and I replaced the bad pins by desoldering a few unnused ones (ones that had no traces going to them) in place of the damage ones. I eventually got the thing to work again.

Anyways the thing I noticed is, they are both identical except for the plastic housing. Same menu, same "version" string in the menu" But the one that came damaged was missing that tiny chip near the transistor in that photo while the good one I got later has it. Any idea what that chip is used for and why it would be missing on one and not the other?

Gonna be keeping a close eye on this thread. The Bios boot option I'm gonna use most often. I'd like to preserve the original boot sequence where possible. Might even try and compile a version that just auto boots the patched bios thing when it goes open source. :P

I have fond memories of the boot splash and it would be sad the see them go if I only used the UniRom or cheat card menus all the time.

I think the last version of UniRom that could auto boot was v44 but that one had issues with some games and v6 was preferred. If I end up using UniRom, it will end up being this one though. That BIOS Boot option sounds like what I want to use. (You said it didn't work on old BIOSes. I assume 7501 doesn't have old BIOS. It's the last model to have a parallel port after all. :P )

Oh and hey mistamontiel. Cool to see you active around here. I recall you used to be around battlefield 1942 modding forums. Not sure if your still active around there or not. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mistamontiel
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by mistamontiel » April 18th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Apache!! The goat why of course I live for BF1942 =}

SCPH 7501 here too yip got me two Gameshark v2.4s to check out genius UniROM

Kailen
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Kailen » April 20th, 2020, 12:34 am

Does anyone know if the unknown issue has been fixed for this card?

or is it just one of those un-flashables, and i should look for another one?
Is there also a list of compatibles?

Apache Thunder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Apache Thunder » April 20th, 2020, 2:55 am

What "version" is that GameShark? The version 2.0's are known to work I think. Mistamontiel has a 2.4. I'm planning on getting a 2.x version. Though the ones I've found at reasonable prices are either 2.0 or 2.1 which I think also should still work. Your version seems to have an eeproom but I guess UniRom doesn't have an entry for it.

kHn
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kHn » April 20th, 2020, 3:00 am

That's not a genuine GameShark.

Kailen
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Kailen » April 20th, 2020, 4:09 am

Due to it not being genuine, assuming the genuine ones say InterAct on it. There's probably not going to be support for it. Any advice on where to start looking for one other then ebay, or if there may be a means of force flashing it?

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » April 20th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Hi, that's 8.0.b1 out!

I'll put the details on the first post instead of duplicating them!
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75

@Apache Thunder
Looks like the middle chip is the rom - AM29F010
A lot of clones will say they're one chip while being another, so I'm not sure right now, but if you can run the Unirom8 boot disc and give me the chip ID from there we can look at supporting it. (possibly, some really aren't writable!)

Hah sorry though, I've removed the BIOS boot option!
It was super convoluted (required a sequence of 4 hooks and changed per system!)

Cool that you know montiel from elsewehre lol.

@mistamontiel
Sweet, let me know how it goes!

@kailen, Khn
Yeah that doesn't look right!
Run the bootisc and give me the ID (or the xx, xx from xflash, same thing)
A bigger picture might also help and I'll see what I can do.

All in all I've found a bunch of carts - sometimes with identical exteriors, with all kinds of random chips... genuine, licensed, 100% non-flashable, etc... I've added some new ones for Unirom8 so there's a decent chance it could work or be made to work.

Cheers.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » April 20th, 2020, 7:20 pm

sickle wrote: April 20th, 2020, 5:44 pm Looks like the middle chip is the rom - AM29F010
A lot of clones will say they're one chip while being another, so I'm not sure right now, but if you can run the Unirom8 boot disc and give me the chip ID from there we can look at supporting it. (possibly, some really aren't writable!)
Should be 01 20 for this one.
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet ... 9F010.html
Having such eeprom in one of my bootleg cartridges.

Oh and congratz with the release, i'll give it a try in a few. :)

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » April 20th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Awesome, I'm already testing it :)
First odd thing that I haven't seen before, is having the first sectors like this legal?
I suppose it works on real hardware.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » April 20th, 2020, 10:31 pm

@squaresoft74
Cheers bud, will get that into the next build.
I have an Intel-licensed "1 Megabit (128 K x 8-bit)" from a password cart that works, so chances are good!
You know offhand if there's any extra drama or fuckery to get these ones written to?

@rama3
Lol not a clue!
I just used some old tools I've been using forever. CD-Gen, export, DiscPatcher.
(Seems more stable than loser's patcher and I've never gotten around to using the posix based ones)
Attached them if you'd like a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » April 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Yep, it's the CD-Gen 1.54 tool. It simply empties the first 16 sectors, unlike other XA2 CDs I've seen.
It does work fine on hardware, as I've just flashed UniROM 8 to my Xploder V1 256kB.
Love the UI! :D

Edit:
My guess is that they didn't want to include the license data stuff, and hence zero'ed all that data.
The license tool then applies the needed license data, but doesn't touch the XA2 sync bytes, so they stay empty.
At least that's my guess.
This CD may not work on NTSC-J systems, depending on how thoroughly they check the license data.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » April 20th, 2020, 11:03 pm

sickle wrote: April 20th, 2020, 10:31 pm You know offhand if there's any extra drama or fuckery to get these ones written to?
Couldn't tell/help with technical aspect but Xflash/Nxflash fail with the AM29F010.
Still i have a patched EXPAND (nocash flasher) version kHn gave me a while back that will handle it if you want.

@Apache Thunder
Get the attached file and burn it to a disc.
It will allow to flash Unirom on your AM29F010 based cartridge.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » April 21st, 2020, 12:42 am

@rama3
Lmao you use the hex editor like a real psychopath... 58 columns.
Glad you like it tho!

My understanding is the -J systems have different CD firmware (rather than something at the bios level)... is that where the sync bytes check would happen? I don't have a machine to test, but thanks for the heads up!

@squaresoft74
That was super cool of you!

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » April 21st, 2020, 1:01 am

The hex editor is set for one CD sector per line. Everything else would be insane for working with CD images ;p
There are many differences between the J systems and the rest of the world, but this stuff would be in the BIOS shell code.
It just checks whether the license data and the PS symbol (geometry data and such) are exactly what they should be.