UniROM 8.0.7bx - Added CD file browser for ROMs + .EXE

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
Pippy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 3
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by Pippy » May 6th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Does this work correctly with the SCPH-1001 model and GameShark 2.2? Tried using v6 a few months back and got nowhere. Would boot the disc fine and flash without error but would simply boot to black screen. Flashing with GameShark bios would give an error but would boot that bios just fine. Don't feel like using another disc to find again it doesn't work.

User avatar
Squaresoft74
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
Posts: 173
Joined: January 7th, 2016, 2:55 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Location: France
Contact:

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by Squaresoft74 » May 6th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Proper Action Replay/GameShark V2 flashing support isn't implemented atm.
Trying to flash anything bigger than 128k will fail.
You could at least flash unirom_standalone.rom but currently wouldn't be unable to use unirom to recover your cartridge's original rom if you wanted to.

User avatar
sickle
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Posts: 232
Joined: July 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.
Location: Scotland

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by sickle » May 7th, 2020, 12:52 am

@pippy
Heyhey, like @squaresoft says, the first 128kb should be fine (unirom_standalone.rom).
Unirom8 also addresses the black screen on boot issue from the 100x models so you should be good.

Would love to support the second chip/(128k-256k) carts carts, but obvs you're never quite sure what you're buying and I've never come across one in the wild yet!

User avatar
Apache Thunder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
Posts: 22
Joined: April 18th, 2020, 11:26 am

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by Apache Thunder » May 14th, 2020, 4:08 am

Finally found an old CD burner at a reasonable price. A Mitsumi CR-4802TE. It can burn 1x, 2x, and 4x. Time to find out if burning at 1x really has any benefit for PS1. That aside, I can now compile UnitROM8 AND burn the CD from this machine. So I can't wait to tinker with it once the source code is released. :D
IMG_20200513_114617.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
Posts: 2393
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by Shadow » May 14th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Apache Thunder wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:08 am
Time to find out if burning at 1x really has any benefit for PS1
► Show Spoiler
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

User avatar
sickle
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Posts: 232
Joined: July 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.
Location: Scotland

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by sickle » May 14th, 2020, 10:21 pm

@apache thunder
Oh man, that machine.. so 90's. That's beautiful man!

@shadow
Site's back!

User avatar
Apache Thunder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
Posts: 22
Joined: April 18th, 2020, 11:26 am

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by Apache Thunder » May 15th, 2020, 3:00 am

Shadow wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 9:26 pm
Apache Thunder wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:08 am
Time to find out if burning at 1x really has any benefit for PS1
► Show Spoiler
lol sadly you are correct. My 1x burned CD-Rs perform worse then the 8x ones I burn from the newer 2000s era LG CD burner in my modern machine. But at least I can compile Unirom and burn it to CD on the same machine. :D

User avatar
mistamontiel
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
Posts: 22
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:05 am
Motto: ..!!
Location: Miami, FL, CUBA
Contact:

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by mistamontiel » May 17th, 2020, 1:58 am

Another bug (sorry still beta1 since mentioned Bug's Life overwrite function restored), WCW VS The World SLUS-00455 the attract mode plays but I picked a tournament and loading hangs!

Interesting how it's made by Japanese studio and never released there!

EDIT: Hum seems to be it's only when I pick other than WCW the top league?

Pippy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 3
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by Pippy » May 20th, 2020, 6:12 pm

sickle wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 12:52 am
@pippy
Heyhey, like @squaresoft says, the first 128kb should be fine (unirom_standalone.rom).
Unirom8 also addresses the black screen on boot issue from the 100x models so you should be good.

Would love to support the second chip/(128k-256k) carts carts, but obvs you're never quite sure what you're buying and I've never come across one in the wild yet!
Got it installed and working great so far on my 2.2 cart and 1001 system. Thanks.

User avatar
sickle
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Posts: 232
Joined: July 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.
Location: Scotland

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by sickle » May 22nd, 2020, 6:38 am

@montiel
Cheers again dude, so much stuff to go in the next build but that's on the list!

@pippy
Good to hear, thanks!
Doing a wee trade with DanHans to get that 2nd chip supported soonish!

User avatar
DoubleD
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
Posts: 5
Joined: May 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by DoubleD » May 26th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Hey so I just recently found out about this unirom mod for the ps1 and I actually do have a ps1 and so I went looking for a cheat cartridge that works and I did find one but not sure if it would work for it. Has anyone tried the gold finger brand? I want to make sure if it would work before buying one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Finger-Ch ... 4287582230

User avatar
Apache Thunder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
Posts: 22
Joined: April 18th, 2020, 11:26 am

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by Apache Thunder » May 27th, 2020, 6:28 am

if your lucky it will be the same as mine. Mine has a Code Card sticker but the firmware had Gold Finger at the bottom in the original UI. So it probably uses same eeprom that mine did and Unirom 8 recently added support for mine. if not you can see if he can add support for it if you take a photo of the chips on the PCB and give him the chip id that the unirom flasher reports so he can identify what eeprom it's using.

User avatar
TimbleThimble
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 2
Joined: June 1st, 2020, 3:44 am

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by TimbleThimble » June 1st, 2020, 3:50 am

Hi! Had to make an account to ask this, relatively new to this stuff. I have a Smart Cartridge and I was able to flash
'Release 8.0.2B' UniROM standalone just fine onto it, however I cannot flash the new release 8.0.B4 as on the disc it says unidentified eeprom chip with an ID of 18, 3, is there a way to force the flash cause I know Unirom works just fine? The cartridge doesn't have the traditional parallel on the back so I have no way to connect it to my computer for instance. Have I screwed myself here by flashing without a backup? Regardless, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

rama3
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
Posts: 510
Joined: April 16th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by rama3 » June 1st, 2020, 3:05 pm

I have the same cart ("Pro Power Replay" here).
You can use the override function to flash it: Press and hold L1 + L2 while sending the command to flash.
It may soft brick the cart if the flash chip doesn't work with the override though.

User avatar
TimbleThimble
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 2
Joined: June 1st, 2020, 3:44 am

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by TimbleThimble » June 2nd, 2020, 7:27 am

@rama3

Took me a few tries at first it did soft-brick, using X-Flash Overburn (through disc-swap) to flash v6 then trying to flash this new version didn't work, so instead I tried flashing a GameBuster ROM on the ROM list(still with X-Flash Overburn) and then override flashing UniROM with the UniROM disc and it worked! I now also can use this as a method for when new versions come out and I potentially soft-brick myself again...

Thank you so much!

tomexplodes
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 4
Joined: June 2nd, 2020, 8:27 am

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by tomexplodes » June 2nd, 2020, 8:31 am

So I have just received a Gameshark 2.3 today, I burned the latest Unirom from yesterday, and I've done the swap trick. Disc boots no problem. Reads eeprom no problem. I go to flash the standalone from the CD and the screen just says

LOAD "\UNIROM S.ROM",8
PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

and nothing ever happens. What have I done wrong? I've tried the gameshark both on and off, and nothing ever happens, if I let it go forever and start the Playstation over with the gameshark turned on, it boots up as a gameshark. I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT I'm doing wrong it's maddening. Thank you.

User avatar
sickle
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Posts: 232
Joined: July 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.
Location: Scotland

Re: UniROM 8 (2nd beta's released!)

Post by sickle » June 2nd, 2020, 11:28 am

TimbleThimble wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 7:27 am
@rama3

Took me a few tries at first it did soft-brick, using X-Flash Overburn (through disc-swap) to flash v6 then trying to flash this new version didn't work, so instead I tried flashing a GameBuster ROM on the ROM list(still with X-Flash Overburn) and then override flashing UniROM with the UniROM disc and it worked! I now also can use this as a method for when new versions come out and I potentially soft-brick myself again...

Thank you so much!
tomexplodes wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 8:31 am
So I have just received a Gameshark 2.3 today, I burned the latest Unirom from yesterday, and I've done the swap trick. Disc boots no problem. Reads eeprom no problem. I go to flash the standalone from the CD and the screen just says

LOAD "\UNIROM S.ROM",8
PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

and nothing ever happens. What have I done wrong? I've tried the gameshark both on and off, and nothing ever happens, if I let it go forever and start the Playstation over with the gameshark turned on, it boots up as a gameshark. I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT I'm doing wrong it's maddening. Thank you.

Hi guys, sorry about the wasted CDs!
8.0.b4 shipped with a bug, but I've just released the CD fixes in 8.0.b5!

TimbleThimble. Hmmm, lucky Rama had that cart - seems to be a weird one which randomly reports different IDs, which is why the L1+L2 / R1+R2 override came about!

Please let me know if you run into any more issues, and thanks for getting in touch.




Image
https://github.com/JonathanDotCel/uniro ... re_for_ps1




DoubleD wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 1:04 pm
Hey so I just recently found out about this unirom mod for the ps1 and I actually do have a ps1 and so I went looking for a cheat cartridge that works and I did find one but not sure if it would work for it. Has anyone tried the gold finger brand? I want to make sure if it would work before buying one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Finger-Ch ... 4287582230
Like 95% of those carts are fine, yeah.
Very rarely do you get one that can't be written to *at all*, but if it's not supported we can look at getting it supported!

tomexplodes
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 4
Joined: June 2nd, 2020, 8:27 am

Re: UniROM 8.0.5 released with fast SIO, SIO redirect, NPAL fixes, etc.

Post by tomexplodes » June 2nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

Well I tried the new release but I'm still getting the PRESS PLAY ON TAPE and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

aaaand I just realized I'm incapable of burning at 1x speed no matter what I tell ImgBurn. Is this my problem? I mean, the disc loads up fine and everything. Also, if that is my problem, what is my solution? I WANTS UNIROM ARGH ok thanks.

EDIT: I was screwing up during the swap trick. It's flashed now. Now good luck getting these CD-Rs to work worth a damn I guess

User avatar
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
Posts: 2393
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: UniROM 8.0.5 released with fast SIO, SIO redirect, NPAL fixes, etc.

Post by Shadow » June 2nd, 2020, 4:13 pm

Burning at 1x or 24x doesn't make a difference. The ATIP contains the disc's min and max write speeds and no manufactures use 1x anymore because CD-ROM drives are so stable nowadays (and have been for over 2 decades). 1x was only used in the very early days of CD-R burning.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

User avatar
sickle
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Posts: 232
Joined: July 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.
Location: Scotland

Re: UniROM 8.0.5 released with fast SIO, SIO redirect, NPAL fixes, etc.

Post by sickle » June 2nd, 2020, 10:07 pm

tomexplodes wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 12:24 pm
Well I tried the new release but I'm still getting the PRESS PLAY ON TAPE and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

aaaand I just realized I'm incapable of burning at 1x speed no matter what I tell ImgBurn. Is this my problem? I mean, the disc loads up fine and everything. Also, if that is my problem, what is my solution? I WANTS UNIROM ARGH ok thanks.

EDIT: I was screwing up during the swap trick. It's flashed now. Now good luck getting these CD-Rs to work worth a damn I guess
Just replied via PM, not sure what order we're in here. All good? :D
Shadow wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 4:13 pm
Burning at 1x or 24x doesn't make a difference. The ATIP contains the disc's min and max write speeds and no manufactures use 1x anymore because CD-ROM drives are so stable nowadays (and have been for over 2 decades). 1x was only used in the very early days of CD-R burning.
Lol I thought it was a fun throwback to the bad old days, but I maybe should reword that bit :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest