UniROM 8.0.K - GDB Debugging, install/backup to/from memory card, homebrew from memcard, etc

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 3rd, 2016, 2:35 pm

sicklebrick wrote:@Shadow
Wasn't it me who last fixed that? >.< haha Failing that, I've rewritten a few chunks of the fastboot to be a little clearer. Possibly usefull, possibly just for reference.
Nah, a CRC checker was implemented in order to find the right table to use for each BIOS :P
You'll need to use the same logic in UniROM in order to achieve perfect boot compatibility.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Kukuruzo
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Kukuruzo » December 3rd, 2016, 9:31 pm

Hi everyone. I got Xplorer FX cartridge, burned the CD but unfortunately flashing UNIROM stucked and now my cartridge is not working at all. The white PS1 boot screen doesn't show up if the cartridge is plugged into parallel port of the console. I get only black screen. How can I bring this cartridge back to life? Please advice something

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 4th, 2016, 2:23 am

Burn the good old X-Flash CD and it will re-flash your Xplorers EEPROM to whatever binary you'd like (a few are already included in the image to get you off the ground).

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=135
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

danny19901
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by danny19901 » December 6th, 2016, 1:16 pm

@sicklebrick sure I will donate it to you just pm me address etc.. I will post it out to you
Also one last question hopefully someone has answer I done a xplorer cheat CD and chosen cheats for crash bandicoot 1 however game booted after the swap but no cheats have been activated or seem to be working in game I will try again. As I may of done something wrong lol as it asked for memory card access but to grant it said O but I pressed X as X is normally the accept button

danny19901
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by danny19901 » December 9th, 2016, 1:39 am

I tried other methods I can't get xplorer, action replay codes etc... To work properly however level select on crash bandicoot worked fine but causes major lagging and graphical glitches etc... Anyone have a way to get cheat codes to work fine?

ploder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5552

Post by ploder » December 10th, 2016, 9:09 pm

Issue: Unirom + Caetla combo on a standard xplorer with switch set to 'on' position = Caetla does not recognise the cdr as a game so you cannot start it at all. It just hangs on the loading screen when you try.

Explanation: With some testing i found that for some reason from cold boot caetla will detect the game cdr as a music cdr (e.g hogs of war ntsc USA). This is verified because when I try to force the game executable (slus/sles/sces etc.) from the inbuilt cd viewer it comes up with a music player. Pressing x to back out and re enter the cd viewer doesn't change anything. However, when caetla does recognise the cdr as a game disc entering the cd explorer in caetla brings up the game directory and you can start the game from the executable. I can also start the game with/wo cheats as expected in this second situation.

Btw - when I had switch set to off position then the same thing was happening and sometimes unirom wasn't intercepting the boot sequence and the ps1 internal music player was launching (e.g castlevania sotn ntsc j)

Sometimes when I cold boot I just get a black screen (ie no unirom/caetla no normal playstation boot either)

radracer256
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by radracer256 » February 14th, 2017, 10:41 am

Hi All, unfortunately im seeing the behavior that Kukuruzo is seeing due to a bad flash. I dont have a chipped console but i do have a blue debugger unit but im seeing the black screen if the (in my case gameshark) is plugged into the console at all. i've also tried booting the x-flash cd and then connecting the cart after the fact, but the screen goes black as soon as the cart is connected. is the cart bricked?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 14th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Have you tried changing the switch position on the cartridge? All-in-all, you should be able to boot X-Flash without the cartridge in on your debugger, plug in the cartridge and press R1 and then R2 enable comms and force a detection of the cartridge. From there you can flash CAETLA 0.34 and then retry again afterwards flashing UniROM.

It's very strange. It shouldn't make the screen go blank, and if it is, it's throwing junk on the bus when it's plugged in (unless somehow it's shorted and holding the PSX in 'reset', or the reset line is being held low since there is a reset line on the parallel port). I'd try taking the Game Shark apart and lifting the chip select pin and shorting it to ground (or VCC depending on the EEPROM's specifications). That way, the cartridge is on the bus, but the chip is disabled. Then, when X-Flash has booted, re-enable chip select. Otherwise, the EEPROM will need to be manually reset using an EEPROM programmer.

radracer256
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by radracer256 » February 15th, 2017, 12:27 am

@Shadow, ive tried on the device on both switch positions with no luck there. I'm not sure its a hardware short because pre-flash it was working fine as a standard cheat device. I'm not exactly handy when it comes to manipulating connections at that level (lifting pins, etc). but ive tried your first option:
-boot xflash on debugger
-plug cart into debugger
-screen immediately goes black when plugged in (appears softlock)
-console stays in softlock even after cart is removed. remains until full reboot

btw if it makes a difference i was trying to flash unirom+catelantsc onto a 256kb chip

kiel367
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by kiel367 » February 21st, 2017, 7:03 am

hey guys, after a little help if possible, iv got a game hunter lite cd version card v8.0 uk version (no parallel port)

for my non chipped ps1-SCPH-5502. The card boots up works fine for cheats, but will not play backups, which was why i originally bought it, spotted this software, but im struggling with how to get it to boot the unirom image from a cd, burned the bin/cue to a cd at slowest speeds, and iv tried multiple things to get it to boot the disc, tried with the instructions provided by someone on the previous page, but this didnt help me unfortunately.

This is the menu i get when its booted to the card if it helps

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 21st, 2017, 8:27 am

To boot UniROM, you'll have to do the disc swap trick.

brunolloko
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by brunolloko » February 21st, 2017, 2:44 pm

hey guys, i need some help.
i have a 5500 ps1 and a pro action replay cartridge. when i push R2 to recognize the cart the system tells the cart is unknow.
Is my cart not compatible with the unirom or is my playstation version?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 21st, 2017, 2:58 pm

It'd be the cartridge. You can try flashing it anyway, but it might fail and brick it. Your choice.

brunolloko
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by brunolloko » February 22nd, 2017, 2:25 am

the system don't allow bcs the cart is undetected...

here some pic of my stuff, maybe can be a help...

kiel367
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by kiel367 » March 9th, 2017, 4:03 am

is it normal for the unirom burnt disc to spin the opposite way to the original game disc?

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » March 9th, 2017, 5:26 am

Uhhhhh the what now? Sounds like the polarity is messed up on the motor that spins the disc for some reason. So you're regular games are working just fine? If so, I'm dumbfounded as to why the polarity would flip the other way with only that disc.... never heard of such a thing

kiel367
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by kiel367 » March 9th, 2017, 5:35 am

yeah, been trying the swap disc method to boot it, and it genuinely spins backwards as soon as i put that cdr in, tried with a game burnt cdr and that spins fine, just doesnt boot as its a non modded console

sucker
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by sucker » March 11th, 2017, 11:33 am

All i get is "loading, hang on," for any disk... for hours... disc spinning. Ugh, I only had one Gold Finger cart; I can't believe I fell for this. PLEASE, can anyone tell me if it's possible to revert my cart to the original state, so I can play backups again??

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 11th, 2017, 3:26 pm

sucker wrote:All i get is "loading, hang on," for any disk... for hours... disc spinning. Ugh, I only had one Gold Finger cart; I can't believe I fell for this. PLEASE, can anyone tell me if it's possible to revert my cart to the original state, so I can play backups again??
Boot X-Flash: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=135
You'll have to burn to the disc though a dump of the Gold Finger ROM you had.

If not, I have about 100 brand new Gold Finger cartridges, so if you'd like one, just let me know :P

Tgames
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Tgames » March 13th, 2017, 9:34 am

Hi,

I have a SPCH-7502 PAL PS1.

It's possible to boot the Bios with NoCash Patched ? And How ?

Thanks.