SMXTOOL - SMX and RSD model data editor

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

SMXTOOL - SMX and RSD model data editor

Post by LameGuy64 » August 23rd, 2018, 7:07 pm

Because development of Project Scarlet (not to be confused with the next-gen Xbox, the naming is coincidental) is lagging behind due to having to rewrite the SMD data format and rendering routines with more features and faster logic, I decided to release this tool as it's own thing to make up for this delay.

SMXTOOL is basically a much better RSDTOOL that supports both RSD model files and SMX model files which are Scarlet's equivalent to RSD. The tool features GLSL shaders to accurately display textured polygons with vertex colors exceeding 128 which brightens the texture as it would on real hardware. It also supports displaying all 4 blending operations of transparent polygons correctly (50% blend, 100% add, 50% add and 100% subtract).

Download it here or browse the Github repository.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » August 24th, 2018, 6:14 pm

this is awesome to get some updated tools with a nice interface like this, very good job !
I hope I find the time and motivation to try some 3D on the PS1 someday
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Game Designer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by NITROYUASH » August 26th, 2018, 12:42 am

:P

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 26th, 2018, 7:05 pm

We just need a proper 3D Studio MAX plugin now. Blender is good and it works, but I find it a real pain to use :P
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by NITROYUASH » August 26th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Just use this plugin for Blender if you need to create some levels for PS1 game.

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by NITROYUASH » April 4th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Found a glitch in SMX Tool.

When you select the object faces and if your selection contains triangles and quadrangles, the SMX Tool will work with only one type of face. I mean, when you need to change the colors of some faces in SMX Tool and you select multiple faces, the program will set color only for last selected type of face, not both.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 28th, 2019, 6:31 am

NITROYUASH wrote: August 26th, 2018, 7:49 pm Just use this plugin for Blender if you need to create some levels for PS1 game.
That's a pretty neat plugin!

NITROYUASH wrote: April 4th, 2019, 9:47 pm Found a glitch in SMX Tool.

When you select the object faces and if your selection contains triangles and quadrangles, the SMX Tool will work with only one type of face. I mean, when you need to change the colors of some faces in SMX Tool and you select multiple faces, the program will set color only for last selected type of face, not both.
Edit the fixes in the repo and commit your changes or open an issue for LameGuy if you can :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by NITROYUASH » April 28th, 2019, 7:50 am

Shadow wrote: April 28th, 2019, 6:31 am
NITROYUASH wrote: August 26th, 2018, 7:49 pm Just use this plugin for Blender if you need to create some levels for PS1 game.
That's a pretty neat plugin!

NITROYUASH wrote: April 4th, 2019, 9:47 pm Found a glitch in SMX Tool.

Edit the fixes in the repo and commit your changes or open an issue for LameGuy if you can :)
I don't use SMXTOOL and this glitch i found during experiments with TMD models (thanks to you guys, i prefer to use my own format instead of TMD). Sorry, but I think he (LameGuy) follows this topic too, so he know about this small glitch. :>

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » April 28th, 2019, 10:38 am

Yeah, I've encountering a bunch of annoying issues with SMXTOOL that involves selection and painting attributes to faces. I just haven't found the time to squish them as of late as Scarlet Engine is in a bit of a hiatus at the moment. The source code is up on Github if anyone ants to fix it themselves.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

Abelliqueux
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: wannabee PSX dev
Motto: nope, bicycle
PlayStation Model: 7502/5502

Post by Abelliqueux » June 28th, 2020, 12:09 am

Hi, Can It be compiled in Linux ? If so, could you tell me how ? I clonde the git repo, and have everything ready to compile, but when trying 'make', I get :

Code: Select all

"make" -f nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk QMAKE= SUBPROJECTS= .build-conf
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/$USER/build/smxtool'
"make"  -f nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk dist/Debug/MinGW-Windows/smxtool.exe
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/$USER/build/smxtool'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'ColorPreview.cpp', needed by 'build/Debug/MinGW-Windows/ColorPreview.o'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/$USER/build/smxtool'
make[1]: *** [nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk:73: .build-conf] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/$USER/build/smxtool'
make: *** [nbproject/Makefile-impl.mk:40: .build-impl] Error 2

I tried to open it with Netbeans 8 but it says the same thing.

Any hint ?

Thanks !
Hardware : 5552 + Xstation, 7502 + Psnee Attiny85, 9002, 102, ftdi cable + unirom carts
https://wiki.arthus.net - https://psx.arthus.net

Abelliqueux
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: wannabee PSX dev
Motto: nope, bicycle
PlayStation Model: 7502/5502

Post by Abelliqueux » July 23rd, 2020, 12:24 am

Quick follow up,

I had to do a few corrections to the #include paths, and rename 'colorpreview.cpp' to 'ColorPreview.cpp' for it to build. The corrections and a pre-built 64bit linux binary are available here :

https://github.com/ABelliqueux/smxtool
Hardware : 5552 + Xstation, 7502 + Psnee Attiny85, 9002, 102, ftdi cable + unirom carts
https://wiki.arthus.net - https://psx.arthus.net