Caetla/Ahoy from CD?

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
kruuth
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Caetla/Ahoy from CD?

Post by kruuth » November 12th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Is it possible to run Caetla/Ahoy from CD? I have a PSIO board plugged into my PSX and was hoping to use the cheats for it.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » November 12th, 2016, 11:39 pm

I highly doubt that's possible as those were made solely for flash cartridges such as Action Replays and XPlorers. You're better off using the CD versions of Action Replay or Gameshark with a multi-disc configuration so you can swap from the cheat CD to the game CD.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » November 13th, 2016, 7:33 am

Im know expert on psx dev (pretty far from it, I'm a total noon lol) but it may be possible with a total rewrite or some sort of "sorcery" with cart emulation. I agree with the poster above me though, you're better off getting a CD based cheat program like gameshark lite or something. Why beat your head against a wall, when its already done for you (pretty much).

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » November 14th, 2016, 5:42 pm

From a technical point of view, the cart runs from an external ROM starting at address 1f000000. This chunk of memory doesn't exist when the cart isn't plugged in... so an awful lot of the code would have to be patched by hand to account for it being shifted to run elsewhere (e.g. main memory @ 8000000h). On top of that, caetla already uses bits of the main memory to work with, so that'd have to be carefully planned to avoid clashes, and some hardware is mapped to memory (parallel ports, the switch, etc) - that'd have to be patched out. As for emulation (as far as I know!) you can only hook read/write access to one memory address at a time, so you probably can't (slowly) redirect all reads/writes/execution from the missing port :(

kruuth
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kruuth » November 15th, 2016, 6:20 am

Ugh ok. That's what I was afraid of.

Is there a way to run joker codes or something like that from the gameshark CD? I haven't ever seen an action replay disc here in the states for the PS.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » November 15th, 2016, 6:20 am

I love you (no homo lol). One of our resident cart experts. Shadow being the other of course :p

kruuth
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kruuth » December 9th, 2016, 3:21 am

So like what do I do here?