SCPH-5903 PSX VCD Main/Sub-board Images

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » March 11th, 2015, 9:06 pm

nocash wrote:At the moment, I wouldn't know of any software tests that would be interesting to run on a real 5903. But it would be nice if you could test it with a normal VCD, for confiming if it does accepts CDRs, and if it does have an OSD layer.
Yeah, it has an OSD - it's the typical crude "primary and secondary colors only" VCD OSD.

SCPH-5903_OSD.jpg
You can also see the video jump when it switches over to the VCD board, as you would expect. It also seems that entering VCD mode is a one-way deal. If you play a VCD and then put a PSX disc into the console then you just get a blue screen saying "PUSH RESET BUTTON ON YOUR CONSOLE"

If you put a VCD into a normal PSX, it identifies as an unlicensed mode 2 disc - 0x08, 0x80, 0x20, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 returned from command 0x1A.

One other thing to note is that if you have a modchip in the SCPH-5903 then it will try to boot a VCD as a Playstation disc, which obviously doesn't work very well.

Oh, and I just tried copying one of my VCDs to a CDR, and it worked with no problem - I didn't use anything fancy to copy it, either - just ripped it to .bin/.cue with ImgBurn and then burnt it to a CDR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 11th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Thanks for the GetID values & screenshot & confirming the video jump.

Hmmm, the video jump is ugly, I would have hoped that they had shared same vsync for both video sources.
If there is no GPU vsync, then the OSD cannot be generated by the GPU either.
That doesn't look so clever, using the GPU should have been cheapest and easiest way to get OSD.

Then OSD must be generated by the CXP10224 chip, right? Does it also connect to the same HC05 Port F serial bus?
That might work when using invalid CXD1852 commands (or CXD1852 data-READ commands) for WRITING to the CXP10224 chip.

I'll try the unlicensed Mode 2 GetID values in no$psx later. Makes sense that the detection will fail when a modchip changes GetID from unlicensed to licensed Mode 2. It's probably done unintentionally, but the No-VCD-with-modchip effect should be serving as very good anti-piracy protection, which may be hard to get around (other by manually switching the modchip on and off).

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 11th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Been searching for Sony+CXP+OSD, and found this:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/CXP8522 ... sheet.html
The part number is roughly similar, it's 64pin, too.
And it's using I2C bus (but it might also communicate via other pins).
Best would be checking if its R,G,B outputs do connect to the CXD's R,G,B inputs.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude

Post by TriMesh » March 12th, 2015, 12:15 am

nocash wrote:Thanks for the GetID values & screenshot & confirming the video jump.

Hmmm, the video jump is ugly, I would have hoped that they had shared same vsync for both video sources.
If there is no GPU vsync, then the OSD cannot be generated by the GPU either.
That doesn't look so clever, using the GPU should have been cheapest and easiest way to get OSD.

Then OSD must be generated by the CXP10224 chip, right? Does it also connect to the same HC05 Port F serial bus?
That might work when using invalid CXD1852 commands (or CXD1852 data-READ commands) for WRITING to the CXP10224 chip.

I'll try the unlicensed Mode 2 GetID values in no$psx later. Makes sense that the detection will fail when a modchip changes GetID from unlicensed to licensed Mode 2. It's probably done unintentionally, but the No-VCD-with-modchip effect should be serving as very good anti-piracy protection, which may be hard to get around (other by manually switching the modchip on and off).
The video jump isn't bad, to be honest - it happens at the point the console normally changes from the white boot screen to the black one, and it's really only noticeable at all because the screen switches to blue at this point.

I've also traced out a few more connections, and the '6230' is almost certainly an OSD generator - it's connected to OSD inputs on the MPEG chip and H+V sync, and has a 3-wire bus going back to the CXP10224 - the 8 bit data bus and 4 bit address bus from the CXD1852 are also wired to the CXP.

It looks like the only thing that the PSX can talk to is the CXP. There is also another serial link going to the CD DSP that I haven't quite figured out yet, but it's possible that the MCU on the VCD board is directly sending commands to the CD DSP and bypassing the host controller in the PSX entirely.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 12th, 2015, 10:04 am

Whoops, okay, no OSD in the CXP chip. But now I've found it!
http://www.shema.ru/cd/audio/1/data/hcdv5500.pdf service manual with schematics for Dual Cassette Deck with CD Player and CXD1852AQ MPEG decoder chip.
Its OSD chip is 20pin "BU6257AFV-E2", supply pins seem to be same as on the 6230FV, and the R,G,B pins appear to connect to a group of 3 vias on PSX daughterboard photo. Does that look good?

PS.
After changing the GetID to unlicensed mode 2 values in no$psx, the BIOS is now sending these commands to HC05:
CDROM Command: 1F 01 7F FF 02 01 00 (once)
CDROM Command: 1F 01 7F FF 02 FF 00 (repeated infinitely)
Apparently it's hanging because no$psx doesn't reply with the correct response bytes through HC05 Port F.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude

Post by TriMesh » March 12th, 2015, 12:37 pm

nocash wrote:Whoops, okay, no OSD in the CXP chip. But now I've found it!
http://www.shema.ru/cd/audio/1/data/hcdv5500.pdf service manual with schematics for Dual Cassette Deck with CD Player and CXD1852AQ MPEG decoder chip.
Its OSD chip is 20pin "BU6257AFV-E2", supply pins seem to be same as on the 6230FV, and the R,G,B pins appear to connect to a group of 3 vias on PSX daughterboard photo. Does that look good?

PS.
After changing the GetID to unlicensed mode 2 values in no$psx, the BIOS is now sending these commands to HC05:
Apparently it's hanging because no$psx doesn't reply with the correct response bytes through HC05 Port F.
I can't say it's 100% the same, but all the important signals are on the same pins. That schematic also makes it clear what IC113 is (which i had put down as a power switch IC) - it's a single D-type flip-flop used to divide the clock for the OSD, and is connected just like the one in that VCD player schematic.

Yuri^Cybdyn
Verified
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Embedded Developer (MCU & FPGA)
PlayStation Model: 5502

Post by Yuri^Cybdyn » March 12th, 2015, 5:48 pm

no$: can you explain a little?))

to where bios sends this set, afik cmd register hold only 1 byte, and 8(16) for params.
or you mean cmd [ 1f ] , with prams [ 01 7F FF 02 01 00 ]
afik: 1f is extended cmd, which is not supported by normal bios?

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 12th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Yes, command 1Fh, followed by parameters. Details are here: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... =703#p5772 ie. the "01" is the sub-function number, and the next 5 bytes are sent to the daughterboard serially, to the CXP chip supposedly, which may then interprete them somehow, and eventually forward some parameters to the MPEG or OSD chip.

Glad that the OSD pinout in the schematic seems to match, and that it helped on identifying IC113, too.

Even better might be finding a service manual that combines the CXD1852AQ chip with a CXPxxxxxx chip. But google doesn't find that combination. I don't know if I did the search right though. Is there some proper way to use wildcards like "CXP*" for finding any documents with CXPxxxxxx part numbers on google, or on other search engines?

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 15th, 2015, 10:28 am

Shadow wrote:Any particular ripping software you would like me to use?
Any (common) software/formats should be fine... unless there's any nonstandard stuff on VCDs (like extra subchannels, or something that won't work with all image formats).

Btw. I've looked for more info on the OSD chip mentioned in cassette deck service manual. The only thing I've found is some webpage telling that it would be a Rohm chip. And you mentioned something about Rohm, too. But I can't see any manufactuer logo on the photo? Is there anything in the chip/package design hinting at Rohm?

For CXPxxxx chips, there are several ones on datasheetarchive.org,
- CXP1xxx & CXP5xxx = Sony 4bit processor with SPC500 instruction set
- CXP7xxx & CXP8xxx = Sony 8bit processor with SPC700 instruction set
Going by that part numbers, CXP10224-603R 732A02E would decode as
- 10 = 4bit SPC500 (although a 4bit processor in the PSX looks odd)
- 2 = RAM size (in case of a CXP85xxx chip, the "2" would mean 448 bytes)
- 24 = ROM size (24Kbytes)
- -603R = just guessing: maybe that indicates the PSX VCD firmware
- 732A02E = guessing, too: maybe a date code or other manufacturing info
there are various packages with 64pin, 80pin, 100pin... whatever. The 64pin packages seem to be all 'rectangular' (whilst the PSX VCD chip should be 'square').
After all, none of the datasheets seems to match well. Dunno if it would be also possible that Sony used 3rd party chips with whatever instruction set, and just labelled them "Sony CXP".

----

For command 1Fh with subfunction 01h, I was expecting that it would be used for various purposes, like initializing whatever MDEC registers, and writing ASCII or Non-ASCII characters to the OSD chip. But it turned out that it doesn't do any such things.

It's barely transferring joypad button state and some cdrom status bits to the daughterboard, and, in opposite direction, it's receiving some confirmations, detection status, and play/seek/stop/pause requests from the daughterboard:

Code: Select all

VideoCdSio - Cmd 1Fh,01h,JoyL,JoyH,State,Task,0 --> INT3(stat,req,mm,ss,ff,x)
The JoyL/JoyH bytes contain 16bit button (and drive door) bits:
  0  Drive Door  (0=Open)    (from CDROM stat bit4)
  1  Button /\   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit12)
  2  Button []   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit15)
  3  Button ()   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit13)
  4  Button ><   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit14)
  5  Start       (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit3)
  6  Select      (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit0)
  7  Always 0    (0)         (fixed)
  8  DPAD Up     (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit4)
  9  DPAD Right  (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit5)
  10 DPAD Down   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit6)
  11 DPAD Left   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit7)
  12 Button R1   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit11)
  13 Button R2   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit9)
  14 Button L1   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit10)
  15 Button L2   (0=Pressed) (from PSX pad bit8)
The State byte can be:
  00h  Motor Off     (when stat.bit1=0)
  01h  Playing       (when stat.bit7=1)
  02h  Not Seeking?  (when stat.bit6=0)
The Task byte can be:
  00h = "tocread"
  01h = detect (used on power-up, and also on tocread?)
  02h = handshake (request ack response)
  0Ah = int5 error occured during seek?
  80h = no disc (this value occurs only in RAM, it's NOT sent to daughterboard)
  FFh = no change
The req byte in the INT3 response can be:
  00h  Normal (no special event occured and no action requested)
  01h  Request CD to Seek_and_play (using aa:mm:ff response parameter bytes)
  02h  Request CD to Pause
  03h  Request CD to Stop
  04h  Request CD to Tocread (setsession 1)
  05h  Handshake Command was processed, and this is the "ack" response
  06h  Request CD to Fast Forward
  07h  Request CD to Fast Fackward
  80h  Detect Command was processed, and disc was detected as VCD
  81h  Detect Command was processed, and disc was detected as Non-VCD
So the VCD stuff is really very-self-contained, all the joypad button input and OSD video output is handled in the CXP chip. That's also making it fairly impossible to emulate the thing (unless the CXP firmware (and OSD character set) were dumped, too). But well, emulating a VCD player would be quite ridiculous & useless anyways. Still it's interesting to see how it works.

Btw. the buttons... are there any special functions assigned to them? Like certain buttons used for volume+/-, play, stop, pause, forward, etc.?

PS. Is that just me with tired eyes (or my browser?), or is it somewhat hard separate "0" and "8" digits in the CODE section with green text? I guess the digit "0" was intended to be separated form letter "O", which is fine. But to me, it looks like an "8" (which is worse than an "O").

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude

Post by TriMesh » March 16th, 2015, 3:27 am

nocash wrote:Btw. I've looked for more info on the OSD chip mentioned in cassette deck service manual. The only thing I've found is some webpage telling that it would be a Rohm chip. And you mentioned something about Rohm, too. But I can't see any manufactuer logo on the photo? Is there anything in the chip/package design hinting at Rohm?
Yeah, sort of - the thing is that I can't really single out any specific feature that made me think so, but when I looked at that chip "Rohm" was the first thing that came to mind.
nocash wrote:After all, none of the datasheets seems to match well. Dunno if it would be also possible that Sony used 3rd party chips with whatever instruction set, and just labelled them "Sony CXP".
It's certainly possible - Sony have produced CXA and CXD chips that were just renumbered versions of other companies devices made under license, so there is no reason to assume they wouldn't do the same thing with a CPU.
nocash wrote:It's barely transferring joypad button state and some cdrom status bits to the daughterboard, and, in opposite direction, it's receiving some confirmations, detection status, and play/seek/stop/pause requests from the daughterboard:
I have to admit that once I saw how it completely took over the video and audio output, that was pretty much what I was expecting. I have to say that the implementation is a lot less interesting than I thought initially.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 13th, 2017, 9:13 am

Today is one of those days where I've spent 5-10 hours on trying to download some VCD disc image for free. And as usually, I've failed - I would be glad about promo discs, trailers, shortfilms, music video clips, or homemade holiday movies in VCD format - but I really can't find any VCD images in the internet.

Or well, there are some dubious looking torrent sites offering "vcd.cue" and "vcd.bin" files, though they are supposedly illegal. And there are millions of tools for converting various video formats to VCD format, but I've no idea if they are really producing properly mastered standard VCD disc images.

Does anybody have a VCD disc image (in cue/bin format or the like) that is known to work on SCPH-5903? Best would be some short 5-10 minute clip, preferably with free/legal content.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 13th, 2017, 7:03 pm

I've got some VCD's. I've never played them nor have I ever never ripped a VCD before to say the least. I have no way of testing them, apart from my SEGA Saturn development kit. So I guess I could rip them, burn them and then try them on the development kit (since it can boot copied discs), but I'll have to do it in my spare time because the kit isn't hooked up at the moment.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » March 13th, 2017, 8:31 pm

can the saturn development kits even boot VCD's without an MPEG/VCD card? I know the retail units can if you have one of those cards, but I don't know much about the dev kits...

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 13th, 2017, 8:59 pm

The development kit has it built in. There is a switch on the front to switch between CD and VCD mode.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » March 13th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Nice! That's pretty neat

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 14th, 2017, 2:20 am

As far as I know, VCD's are multi-track mode2/form2 discs (ie. not too different from PSX discs).

So any tools that can rip PSX discs should be (hopefully) also working for VCD discs (though in practice nobody seems to have ever tried to rip VCDs, at least not in the english speaking part of the world).

Well, best just upload some VCD image... and then maybe somebody else could try to burn it to CDR, and test if it's actually working on SCPH-5903 consoles.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 18th, 2017, 8:48 am

I've asked for VCD sample images at videohelp forum: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382 ... disc-image I guess the forum members have been a bit surprised seeing somebody asking for VCDs in 2017. But then, they've actually found/created some VCD samples:

http://web.archive.org/web/200612312006 ... s/demovcd/ - old vcdimager samples in .cue/.bin format, v0.1 and v0.3, each in pal & ntsc format. The 43Mbyte .zip's are lost, but the alternate/equivalent .rar packages are still online (each disc image stored in a of about 29 small 1.44MByte .rxx files).

https://www.mediafire.com/?7yerwds2br1ec72 - newly created VCD of the 2017 Super Bowl Halftime in Nero's .nrg format, around 150Mbyte.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » March 19th, 2017, 12:42 am

Im not so sure you can legally post the link to that halftime show vcd lol. If you'd like people are more than welcom to download videos from my youtube channel for whatever purpose (I really don't care as long as credit is given, but for testing purposes that's not needed) and convert them to vcd, and play around with them. I can post a link to my channel if people are interested, just don't want to seem spammy

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » May 28th, 2017, 1:19 am

TriMesh has given the SCPH-5903 console and four VCD movies on pressed discs to me. Here's my hardware review: The picture quality looks quite okay to me, of course, if you've grown up in 21st century and have never seen a VHS tape or a CRT display, then you might get the shock of your life when watching a VCD movie ; )

The SCPH-5903 movie decoding part works fine, and as long as you just want to "watch a movie" it's okay. However, the GUI and firmware are a bit disappointing...

First of, Sony didn't defeat their own SCEX detection for the VCD mode. So it will blow up several seconds on trying to find a SCEX string whenever you insert a VCD disc (then, after detection timeout, it will realize that the disc isn't a PSX game, and then successfully detects it as VCD disc). The console would boot up ways faster when installing a modchip in it (that would avoid the detection timeout - but would also screw up the PSX-vs-VCD detection, so you would additionally need to install a kernel patch together with the modchip).

After booting, the thing stops the drive motor an goes to the "Stop Menu" (maybe the opposite of what you want when wanting to play a disc). The Stop Menu displays the total playtime of all tracks (including the ISO track which isn't actually playable), and comes up with Play and ResumePlay options (with ResumePlay being some defunct fake feature: It doesn't work on power-up or after door-open. It does more or less work if you've formerly stopped during playback, but skips 1-2 seconds instead of resuming at the exact point where you had stopped, apparently it doesn't rewind to the most recent GOP and/or doesn't recurse having discarded yet undisplayed read-ahead buffer data).

Now, after selecting Play, the GUI unfolds it's whole complexity: Instead of using 3-4 control buttons for Plus/Minus/Okay, Sony has used about all buttons on the joypad - with the three most important functions (Play/Pause, Fwd, Rev) mapped to Start, R2, L2 - which is about as uncomfortable as possible; especially if you use an analog joypad laying on a table. Fwd/Rev are using the PSX's "fast" forward/reverse commands, which are barely working for navigating through a 3-minute audio track, using them for a 65-minute video track means that one would need to hold R2 for several minutes until reaching the end of the disc.

Finally, there's the OSD feature and PBC. The current HH:MM:SS time is shown only if you've enabled the OSD Display. But even then, it isn't shown while holding the Fwd/Rev buttons. And, most discs are having Playback Control (PBC) data on them. For such discs, the SCPH can't display the HH:MM:SS at all (instead it's only showing a "PBC" logo).
PBC is intended to support extra menues, though most of my discs don't have any such menues, instead they do just contain dummy PBC data (that, corrupted in some cases: a large PSD_X file (with extended commands in it) being cropped to the same size as the unextended PSD file, or PSD/PSD_X files being improperly programmed to override the default functionality of the Prev/Next track buttons). As last resort, it's possible to disable PBC from within the Stop Menu.

For the tech stuff...
I've spent some days on tracing the pinout for the daughterboard chips, daughterboard connector, and extra multiplexors on mainboard.

I think I've also identified the "CXP10224-603R" microprocessor: The pinout is same as for "CXP811P24" so it appears to be using SPC700 instruction set (better known as SNES APU instruction set) (finding the correct datasheet has been surprisingly simple: I just searched for 12MHz and LQFP64, and found the datasheet with matching XTAL, Reset, Supply, IRQ, and SIO0/SIO1 pins, and matching port bit-numbers for HAx and HDx busses). I don't know if it's possible to dump the firmware; the datasheet refers to some other document about "writing the PROM", maybe that doc also contains some hints about reading.

Anyways, here's the whole SCPH-5903 pinout:

Code: Select all

SCPH-5903 VCD Video CD PlayStation

VCD Mainboard "PU-16, 1-655-191-11" Component List
The overall design is very close to LATE-PU-8 boards (1-658-467-2x). Changed
components are IC102/IC304 (different kernel and cdrom firmware),
C318/C325/C327 (height reduced capacitors for mounting the daughterboard above
of them). Plus some extra components: Three triple multiplexors (for switching
between PSX and VCD audio/video), and the daughterboard connector.
  IC102 44pin SONY, M538032E-02, JAPAN 6465401 (uncommonly big BIOS, 1Mx8)
  IC304 52pin C 4021 SC430924PB (HC05 sub-cpu, with extra Video CD command 1Fh)
  C318   2pin S5        ;\tantalum capacitors with lower height (instead
  C325   2pin CA7       ; of the electrolytic capacitors on PU-8 boards)
  C327   2pin CA7       ;/
  ICnnn 16pin 4053C (Triple multiplexor, for Audio LRCK,BCLK,DATA) (PCB top)
  ICnnn 16pin 4053C (Triple multiplexor, for Video FSC,CSYNC)      (PCB bottom)
  ICnnn 16pin 2283  (Triple multiplexor, for Video R,G,B)          (PCB bottom)
  CNnnn 30pin Connector to daughterboard                           (PCB top)

VCD Daughterboard "MP-45, 1-665-192-11" Component List
  IC102   3pin  TA78M05F voltage regulator (7.5V to 5V) (Toshiba)
  IC104 120pin  CXD1852AQ Video CD decoder (Sony)
  IC106  40pin  MB814260-70 (256Kx16 DRAM) (Fujitsu) ;see also: IC114
  IC107  20pin  6230FV 649 115 (OSD, similar to BU6257AFV-E2) (PCB back)
  IC109  14pin  Y2932 (TLC2932 PLL) (TI) (for RGB.DAC.CLK)
  IC110  44pin  TDA8771AH Triple Video DAC for RGB (Philips) (PCB back)
  IC111  64pin  CXP10224-603R 732A02E (MCU) (Sony)
  IC112  14pin  HCT32A (74HCT32 Quad OR gate) (TI) (PCB back) (for RGB.DAC.CLK)
  IC113   8pin  H74 7H (single D-type flip-flop; OSD clock divider) (PCB back)
  IC114  40pin  MB814260-70 (256Kx16 DRAM) (Fujitsu) ;see also: IC106
  CN101  30pin  Male Connector (to female 30pin socket on PU-16 mainboard)
  X103    2pin  45.00MHz (for VCD decoder chip)
  X104    4pin  12.000MHz (for MCU chip)
  X105    2pin  28.636MHz (for VCD decoder chip) (8*3.579545 NTSC clock)

VCD Daughterboard Connector
                               .--.---.
                         GND  / 1   2 | GND
    (CXD1815Q.86)    CD.BCLK |  3   4 | CD.LRCK    (CXD1815Q.84)
    (CXD1815Q.87)    CD.C2PO |  5   6 | CD.DATA    (CXD1815Q.85)
                         GND |  7   8 | CD.SQCK    (CXD2510Q.67) CXP.31
         (TDA.44) VIDEO.OUTR |  9  10 | CD.SQSO    (CXD2510Q.66) CXP.29
                         GND | 11  12 | SIO.OUT    (HC05.51.PORTF1 to CXP.47)
         (TDA.40) VIDEO.OUTG | 13  14 | SIO.IN     (HC05.50.PORTF0 from CXP.48)
                         GND | 15  16 | SIO.CLK    (HC05.52.PORTF2 to CXP.49)
         (TDA.36) VIDEO.OUTB | 17  18 | VIDEO.FSC  (CXD1852AQ.95)
                         GND | 19  20 | VIDEO.CSYNC(CXD1852AQ.96)
          (PSU.3)       3.5V | 21  22 | 3.5V       (PSU.3)
          (PSU.1)       7.5V | 23  24 | AUDIO.FSXI (CXD1852AQ.103 to VCD)
          (PSU.7)       /RES | 25  26 | AUDIO.DATA (CXD1852AQ.100)
  (CXD1852AQ.102) AUDIO.BCLK | 27  28 | AUDIO.LRCK (CXD1852AQ.101)
                         GND | 29  30 | GND
                             '--------'

IC104 "Sony CXD1852AQ" (MPEG-1 Decoder for Video CD) (120 pin)
   1-GND   16-HD7   31-GND   46-MD4   61-GND   76-G/Y3  91-GND       106-XTL2O
   2-XTL0O 17-MA3   32-MA7   47-MD11  62-/VOE  77-G/Y4  92-HSYNC     107-XTL2I
   3-XTL0I 18-MA4   33-MA8   48-MD3   63-R/Cr0 78-G/Y5  93-VSYNC     108-VDD
   4-VDD   19-MA2   34-/RAS  49-MD12  64-R/Cr1 79-G/Y6  94-FID/FHREF 109-C2PO
   5-HA2   20-MA5   35-/MWE  50-MD2   65-R/Cr2 80-G/Y7  95-CBLNK/FSC 110-LRCI
   6-HA3   21-MA1   36-/CAS2 51-MD13  66-R/Cr3 81-B/Cb0 96-CSYNC     111-DATI
   7-HD0   22-GND   37-/CAS0 52-MD1   67-R/Cr4 82-B/Cb1 97-/SGRST    112-BCKI
   8-HD1   23-MA6   38-MD7   53-MD14  68-R/Cr5 83-B/Cb2 98-CLK0O     113-DOIN
   9-HD2   24-MA0   39-MD8   54-MD0   69-R/Cr6 84-B/Cb3 99-DOUT      114-/HCS
  10-HD3   25-BC    40-MD6   55-MD15  70-R/Cr7 85-B/Cb4 100-DATO     115-/HDT
  11-HD4   26-TCKI  41-MD9   56-OSDEN 71-G/Y0  86-B/Cb5 101-LRCO     116-HRW
  12-HD5   27-TDI   42-MD5   57-OSDB  72-G/Y1  87-B/Cb6 102-BCKO     117-/HIRQ
  13-HD6   28-TENA1 43-MD10  58-OSDG  73-G/Y2  88-B/Cb7 103-FSXI     118-/RST
  14-VDD   29-TDO   44-VDD   59-OSDR  74-VDD   89-DCLK  104-VDD      119-HA0
  15-GND   30-VST   45-GND   60-VDD   75-GND   90-VDD   105-GND      120-HA1
The Hxxx pins are for the Host (the 8bit CXP CPU), the Mxxx for the RAM chips,
the R/G/B pins are 24bit RGB video. Pin36 can be /CAS2 or MA9 (and, the VCD
daughterboard has alternate solderpads for one large RAM instead of two small
RAMs).

IC107 "6230FV" (OSD chip, similar to BU6257AFV-E2) (20 pin)
   1-SIO.CLK   5-VDD      9-TEST  13-BLK2   17-OSDG
   2-SIO./CS   6-/CKOUT  10-GND   14-VC2    18-OSDB
   3-SIO.DTA   7-OSCOUT  11-BLK1  15-OSDEN  19-/VSYNC
   4-/RESET    8-OSCIN   12-VC1   16-OSDR   20-/HSYNC
SIO pin1/2/3 are wired to CXP pin38/37/36. OSCIN is the RGB DAC CLK divided by
two (from H74 chip pin5). OSD/SYNC on pin15-20 connect to the MPEG1 decoder
chip.
No datasheet (but pinouts are same/similar as for BU6257AFV, documented in
several service manuals for tape decks with vcd player: HCD-V5500,
HCD-V8900/V8900AV, HCD-V909AV).

IC111 "Sony CXP10224-603R" (8bit SPC700 CPU) (64pin LQFP)
   1-PB5=TP    17-PD5=/HCS       33-AVREF=VDD             49-PG5/SCK1=HC05.PF2
   2-PB4=TP    18-PD4=TP         34-AVDD=VDD              50-PG4=/RST.OUT
   3-PB3=HA3   19-PD3=TP         35-PF7/AN7=TP            51-PG3/TO=TP
   4-PB2=HA2   20-PD2=TP         36-PF6/AN6=OSD.DTA       52-PA7=TP
   5-PB1=HA1   21-PD1=TP         37-PF5/AN5=OSD./CS       53-PA6=TP
   6-PB0=HA0   22-PD0=TP         38-PF4/AN4=OSD.CLK       54-PA5=TP
   7-PC7=HD7   23-MP/TEST=GND    39-PF3/AN3=GND           55-PA4=TP
   8-PC6=HD6   24-XTAL=12MHZ     40-PF2/AN2=GND           56-VPP=VDD
   9-PC5=HD5   25-EXTAL=12MHZ    41-PF1/AN1=GND           57-VDD=VDD
  10-PC4=HD4   26-VSS=GND        42-PF0/AN0=10KtoGND      58-VSS=GND
  11-PC3=HD3   27-/RST=/RES      43-PE3/PWM1=TP           59-PA3=TP
  12-PC2=HD2   28-/CS0=VDD       44-PE2/PWM0=TP           60-PA2=TP
  13-PC1=HD1   29-SI0=CD.SQSO    45-PE1/INT2/EC=/VSYNC    61-PA1=TP
  14-PC0=HD0   30-SO0=TP         46-PE0/INT0=/HIRQ        62-PA0=TP
  15-PD7=HRW   31-/SCK0=CD.SQCK  47-PG7/SI1/INT1=HC05.PF1 63-PB7=TP
  16-PD6=/HDT  32-AVSS=GND       48-PG6/SO1=HC05.PF0      64-PB6=TP
Pin 3-15,45,46,50 connect to MPEG1 decoder. Pin 36-38 to OSD. Pin 47-49 to
HC05.PortF. Pin 27 is /RESET from PSU. Pin 29,31 are SUBQ from CXD2510Q. The
"TP" pins connect to test points (but seem to be NC otherwise).
Pinouts are same as in CXP811P24 datasheet (which uses SPC700 instruction set;
that instruction set is also used by SNES sound CPU).

IC109 "TLC2932" (PLL) (14pin)
  1-LOGIC_VDD=5V            5-FIN-B=HSYNC.PLL 9-PFD_INHIBIT=GND  13-BIAS
  2-SELECT=5V               6-PFD_OUT         10-VCO_INHIBIT=GND 14-VCO_VDD=5V
  3-VCO_OUT=RGB.DAC.CLK.PLL 7-LOGIC_GND=GND   11-VCO_GND=GND
  4-FIN-A=FID/FHREF.PLL     8-NC              12-VCO_IN
Used to generate the CLK for the TDA chip (that is, the dotclk, paused during
VSYNC, or so?). The same CLK, divided by two, is also used as OSD.OSCIN.

IC112 "74HCT32" (Quad OR gate) (14pin)
   1-FID/FHREF.MPEG  4-HSYNC.MPEG   8-(low)  11-RGB.DAC.CLK.TDA  7-GND
   2-FID/FHREF.MPEG  5-HSYNC.MPEG   9-GNDed  12-RGB.DAC.CLK.PLL  14-VCC/5V
   3-FID/FHREF.PLL   6-HSYNC.PLL   10-GNDed  13-RGB.DAC.CLK.PLL
Used to sharpen the output from the PLL chip, and to level-shift signals for
the two PLL inputs from 3.5V to 5V. The input-pairs for the OR gates are
shortcut with each other, so the chip isn't actually ORing anything.

IC113 "H74 7H" (single D-type flip-flop; OSD clock divider) (8 pin)
  1-CLK   2-D   3-/Q   4-GND   5-Q   6-/RES   7-/SET   8-VCC
Used to divide the RGB DAC CLK by two. CLK comes from TDA.pin31, D and /Q are
shortcut with each other, /RES and /SET are wired to VDD, and Q goes to
OSD.OSCIN.

ICnnn "4053C" (Triple multiplexor, for Audio LRCK,BCLK,DATA) (16pin)
  1-IN2B=DATA.VCD   5-IN3A=LRCK.SPU    9-SEL3=LRCK.SEL   13-IN1B=BCLK.VCD
  2-IN2A=DATA.SPU   6-/OE=GNDed       10-SEL2=DATA.SEL   14-OUT1=BCLK.OUT
  3-IN3B=LRCK.VCD   7-VEE=GNDed       11-SEL1=BCLK.SEL   15-OUT2=DATA.OUT
  4-OUT3=LRCK.OUT   8-GND=GND         12-IN1A=BCLK.SPU   16-VDD=VDD/3.5V
The three SEL pins are wired to HC05.PortF3, the three SPU pins are wired via
10Kohm.

ICnnn "4053C" (Triple multiplexor, for Video FSC,CSYNC) (16pin)
  1-IN2B=FSC.VCD    5-IN3A=CSYNC.PSX   9-SEL3=CSYNC.SEL  13-IN1B=GNDed
  2-IN2A=FSC.PSX    6-/OE=GNDed       10-SEL2=FSC.SEL    14-OUT1=NCed
  3-IN3B=CSYNC.VCD  7-VEE=GNDed       11-SEL1=DUMMY.SEL  15-OUT2=FSC.OUT
  4-OUT3=CSYNC.OUT  8-GND=GND         12-IN1A=GNDed      16-VDD=VCC/5V
The three SEL pins are wired to HC05.PortF3, the two OUTx pins are wired via
2.2Kohm.

ICnnn "NJM2283" (Triple multiplexor, for Video R,G,B) (16pin)
  1-IN1B=R.VCD      5-OUT2=G.OUT       9-IN3B=B.VCD      13-V=VCC/5V
  2-SEL1=R.SEL      6-OUT3=B.OUT      10-GND3=81ohm/GND  14-IN2B=G.VCD
  3-OUT1=R.OUT      7-SEL3=B.SEL      11-IN2A=G.PSX      15-GND1=GND
  4-GND2=GND        8-IN3A=B.PSX      12-SEL2=G.SEL      16-IN1A=R.PSX
The three SEL pins are wired to HC05.PortF3, the six INxx pins wired through
resistors and capacitors, the three OUTx pins are wired through capacitors.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude

Post by TriMesh » May 28th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Nice analysis - I thought you would find that console more useful (or at least more interesting) than I did :)