PSOne development kit

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
locarno
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

PSOne development kit

Post by locarno » October 5th, 2014, 3:21 am

It is possible to convert stock PSone to PSone dev-kit (yaroze). Flash memory (bios etc) from Yaroze, to PSone. One person from Polish scene did it (in 4 years). But he didn't want talk about it. So it is possible ?

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » October 5th, 2014, 4:52 am

when I see the psone from the no$cash guy: http://problemkaputt.de/psx-xboo.jpg
I guess, everything is possible, you just need the electronic skills to do it :)
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » October 5th, 2014, 5:02 am

It's possible since it's basically the same machine (with a few subtle differences) in a smaller form factor.

Yaroze has a different mechacon then retail units which allows you to boot software from all region plus yaroze discs.
That can be solved by installing a modchip, either MM3 for SCPH-101 or OneChip for SCPH-102.

Yaroze uses serial cable to communicate with PC. That can be done with the PSone too.
There are test points on the board where you can solder a TTL adapter and connect it to your PC via USB.
More info can be found here and here.

As for BIOS, it's nothing special so you actually don't have to change it and in case of
SCPH-102 OneChip removes the european licence check.

Yaroze boot disc has been patched and Access Card is not needed anymore, which means you are good to go.

--
Also, there is a utility called PSXSERIAL which you can use to upload EXEs to your (retail) PS1 without the
Yaroze boot disc and it also allows you to upload bigger executables.
You can also use official PsyQ sdk or open source PSXSDK (the one I use ;) ) with it.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

locarno
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by locarno » January 4th, 2019, 9:17 am

Shendo wrote: October 5th, 2014, 5:02 am Yaroze boot disc has been patched and Access Card is not needed anymore, which means you are good to go.
Can you share more info about this Access Card ?

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Student

Post by CodeAsm » January 23rd, 2019, 1:43 am

locarno wrote: January 4th, 2019, 9:17 am Can you share more info about this Access Card ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Yaroze
"The Access Card, a dongle which must be placed in memory card port 1 in order to boot programs which were loaded from a PC."
It was a memorycard without the storage IC and the program on the controller IC was running a diferent program than normal memorycards where. probably replying wich region it was and that it allowed netyaroze homebrew. the whole card is needed was removed from the startup disk if you burn a cracked netyaroze disk.

I cant find the topics on this forum about this accesscard but this is wat I remember reading about it. cool and smart idea from Sony to have a "dongle"... sad their copyprotection was so "easily" broken and the software be patched. (I dont know if that was done back in the day aswell) anyway, you only need the cracked disk instead of a original accesscard. everyone with a modded PS1 can do netyaroze stuff now :D
Development Console: SCPH-102, unkown clone Modchip, PAL , FTDI board build into the case (microUSB) for Serial I/O.
Development Computer: GNU/Linux, Arch x86_64 Linux 4.20.3, i7-3632QM [8x3.2GHz], 11,8GiB, 1366x768 GeForce GT 630M (Optimus tech), lots of gig of storage

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » January 23rd, 2019, 5:11 am

The cracked disc or the AR codes to patch it have been around since 1998, the details were on a site that was hosted on Geocities back in the day. The site had the rest of the tools on there, as well as a patched iso. Only problem was that the licence info was missing from it so it rarely booted correctly.

It might be on way back machine or something..

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 3rd, 2019, 4:06 pm

danhans42 wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 5:11 am The cracked disc or the AR codes to patch it have been around since 1998, the details were on a site that was hosted on Geocities back in the day. The site had the rest of the tools on there, as well as a patched iso. Only problem was that the licence info was missing from it so it rarely booted correctly.

It might be on way back machine or something..
I patched it with the correct license sector data in 2013. It's available here.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.