PSX - Undo deleted save file?

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
locarno
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

PSX - Undo deleted save file?

Post by locarno » May 3rd, 2021, 4:54 am

Hello
I'm looking for more informations about undo deleted save from memory card. How exacly it works and on which models it works? It is related to bios or model version?
I'm talking about this function https://newsbeezer.com/argentinaeng/pla ... -function/

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 26th, 2021, 2:44 pm

How it works is the Memory Cards use a basic FAT filesystem which includes an un-delete option to recover the previously sector marked as free. If you format the card, then you can't un-delete obviously. Sony has some example Psy-Q programs which can demonstrate this.

As for which models have it, that will depend on the BIOS revision and if the BIOS programmer took it out or not. I don't think there is a list at the moment of which BIOS' have it or not so someone will have to manually test each revision manually and make note of it.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.