Both XA & STR files in a single Multi Channel XA file. Is it possible to replicate?

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
Extreme0
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Both XA & STR files in a single Multi Channel XA file. Is it possible to replicate?

Post by Extreme0 » April 16th, 2021, 3:50 pm

When I was extracting and checking the contents of a PS1 Game called 'Spider: The Video Game" using Isodump. I found only two unique files belonging to the game aside from the usual files you get from dumping PS1 which was just an storage file for all the contents in the game and a XA file.

Checking the XA file with jPSXdec, It appears that it not only has separate Audio Tracks but also the Video Tracks with audio as well. I kinda assumed that XA files were pretty much just for the audio alone and that STR files can Interleave with XA audio, including multiple audio tracks into one video stream if needed. But I didn't realise it's possible to also store STRs in a multi channel XA file too.

I've tried replicating through MC32/Movie Converter using it's Multi Channel tool to no avail. All I seem to be getting is one second audio files. Tried STR files with and without audio no result. Tried as many options as I could with the multi-channel and MDEC Parameters but it still ends up as a mess.

Anyone through out the years know how this was possibly accomplished? It's mostly out of curiosity but I haven't found any information relating to this. No idea what tools or methods were used.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 26th, 2021, 3:05 pm

It's called interleaving. The XA audio is interleaved with the STR data. MC32 can do this for you but it's very picky about the type of format you use to convert.

I use FFMPEG to convert it to the right format. Make sure you match the framerate and dimensions.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i INPUT.AVI -vcodec rawvideo -s 960x540 -r 30 -an OUTPUT.AVI
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.