Diablo PSX archive and graphics formats

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
savagesteel
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Diablo PSX archive and graphics formats

Post by savagesteel » January 30th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the Diablo 1 archive format and also the graphics included in the archives.

The archives come as .DIR + .BIN files (e.g. LUMP.DIR and LUMP.BIN).
The .DIR file contains file names, the file offsets in .BIN file and the file size.
I'm still missing some details, but basically I'm able to extract the files from the archives.

Then I end up with graphics in the form of .DAT + .HDR files (e.g. CUTPORTL.DAT, CUTPORTL.HDR).
I know how some of those graphics should look because the PC version has graphics with similar names.
However I don't know how to decode the format. It looks compressed but that's all I know so far.

Is there any tool that can be used to view/convert those graphics?

savagesteel
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by savagesteel » March 14th, 2020, 9:20 pm

In case someone is interested I made some progress in specifying the Diablo 1 archive format:
https://github.com/savagesteel/d1-file- ... /DIRBIN.md

godardrehak
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by godardrehak » October 9th, 2022, 3:21 am

As far as I know, there is a special program that can read old formats, but I can't be entirely sure if it works with this type of file. But I can't understand why you need graphics files from the first Diablo? Yes, I'm a fan of the series too, but it never occurred to me to take the game apart. I'm the fan that will play any game in the series, even if it's total crap like Diablo II: Resurrected. I was in a lot of pain to play this game. For example, I needed a unique primal helmet in my d2r inventory in the middle of the game. Still, the game just forgot to leave it in one of the chests in the level. And without it, I couldn't go any further. I had to give up another rare item in exchange for a unique primitive helmet in d2r on a certain website.