PSX standby voltage

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

PSX standby voltage

Post by nocash » April 10th, 2013, 12:02 am

The PU-8 mainboards (SCPH-1000) have a 7pin power supply connector (unlike later boards with 5pin connectors). One of the extra pins is just another GND pin. The other one is +3.5V standby, ie. that pin is powered even when the console is switched off. What is THAT for?

From what I can see (when gazing at the PCB), the standby voltage seems to be left unused (on the PU-8 board, it seems to be connected to GND via a SMD capacitor, but doesn't appear to be connected anywhere else).
Maybe older PU-7 boards did use it... to power something on the mainboard... or to power something on the Parallel I/O port... or Sony was using the same power-supply board also for hardware other than playstation?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 11th, 2013, 2:35 pm

It could have been left in their design as an extra voltage rail should they have needed in the future a device being powered on standby. They could have also intended to have a 3-way RGB LED. Red/yellow for off and or standby, and green for power on, much like the PS3 and PS3 power light.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Shandaash
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Shandaash » August 17th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I have a playstation but I dont have the idea what is PSX standby voltage