VCD Player for PSX (software based)

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
Medis
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Medis » May 20th, 2018, 8:35 am

Can anyone reupload please?

thedukeofnukem
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by thedukeofnukem » December 22nd, 2018, 9:21 am

Shadow wrote: August 13th, 2017, 11:56 pm Why did Sony even make a VCD system. Isn't the STR format decent enough? I mean, sure, maybe they were trying to market a whole format (in this case, Video CD's), but I'm sure Sony could have come out with their own movie format for the PlayStation which used the STR format and regular MDEC in the R3000A. Only thing would be you would have to swap discs or if they used a double-sided CD-ROM, turn it over like a Laser Disc.

What's cool though is with PSIO, you can easily swap between multiple ISO's instantly, so it means after 40 odd minutes of playtime from one ISO, the program code would tell PSIO to switch to the next ISO and continue playback of the next 40 odd minutes minutes seamlessly. A whole movie could be played on the PSX without any delays or pauses from the SD Card ;)

I made a "FRIENDS" short which I used as a test about 4 years ago. The quality is really good. Perfectly watchable. Doesn't look good under emulation, but on a real PSX with a CRT it looks fine. Just demonstrates my point :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_GAa ... m54SkxnY1E
Yes, I know, I'm digging up an old thread.
Yes, I know, I'm a new user who's not to be trusted.

But I can't send you a direct message on here without having participated in some threads.

I have to ask, how the hell did you do this? I've managed to get some MPEGs converted into STR format, but how did you go about converting yours into ISO format? Did you write the STR files to a disc and then make an ISO of the disc or is there a conversion process you did to make the files appear as an ISO? I looked in the ISO and there's only the video file, so you didn't compile a player or anything in there, which makes me think it's an auto loader, so...

So I just burn my STR files to a disc using something like Alcohol 120 that has PlayStation formatting built in, or do I have to do something more?

Thanks if you do reply, and sorry for digging up an old thread, you're just the only place on the internet I could find that actually has this working.

HatMusic
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by HatMusic » December 22nd, 2018, 11:20 am

thedukeofnukem wrote: December 22nd, 2018, 9:21 am I have to ask, how the hell did you do this?
I'd like to know too - asked this question a few years ago and would love to see something like this (especially with some kind of "insert next disc" type of thing after the end of the video so multiple discs could work without psio).

tylershai
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by tylershai » March 30th, 2021, 3:30 pm

I'd reccommend this thread on STR videos: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507

kakarotte2020
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: scph 7502

Post by kakarotte2020 » August 9th, 2021, 4:51 am

Shadow wrote: August 13th, 2017, 11:56 pm Why did Sony even make a VCD system. Isn't the STR format decent enough? I mean, sure, maybe they were trying to market a whole format (in this case, Video CD's), but I'm sure Sony could have come out with their own movie format for the PlayStation which used the STR format and regular MDEC in the R3000A. Only thing would be you would have to swap discs or if they used a double-sided CD-ROM, turn it over like a Laser Disc.

What's cool though is with PSIO, you can easily swap between multiple ISO's instantly, so it means after 40 odd minutes of playtime from one ISO, the program code would tell PSIO to switch to the next ISO and continue playback of the next 40 odd minutes minutes seamlessly. A whole movie could be played on the PSX without any delays or pauses from the SD Card ;)

I made a "FRIENDS" short which I used as a test about 4 years ago. The quality is really good. Perfectly watchable. Doesn't look good under emulation, but on a real PSX with a CRT it looks fine. Just demonstrates my point :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_GAa ... m54SkxnY1E

how can i make an srt movie to watch it in my ps1 please

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » September 4th, 2021, 11:00 pm

i just released this in 1998 :D

shouts

trinolmf
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by trinolmf » January 15th, 2022, 5:58 am

Anyone made progress on this? Its hell of smooth playing, but the monochrome gets anoying. Color mode would be nice