Time to Complete: Five hours, spread over around a month
SDK: PSY-Q
Genre: Pointless demo
Latest Release: 0.1
In Development: Yes
Initial Release Date: 19th of May 2014
Last Date Updated: 21st of May 2014
Controller: Digital
Players: One (or, arguably, none — it's not a game)
Memory Card: No
Languages: English
Burn and Play: yes; see later reply
Executable Included: Yes
Source Included: No

This is my entry into the PSXDEV Codeblast '14 competition.

I turned up here less than a month ago; I've yet to finish sorting myself out with real hardware for testing and therefore have no idea whether this works outside of an emulator. I am therefore aware that I may be disqualified. It's the simple, most preparatory stuff towards writing a game — there's a few 3d objects and, separately, a player-navigated camera. The next steps would be to add intelligent objects and collision detection. However the deadline for this competition approaches, my time is very occasional and no other entries seem yet to have materialised so I thought I'd post something rather than nothing. If I can find time to improve it then I will.

It's supposed to run in PAL interlaced mode, 640x480, at 50fps. All appropriate work is performed by the GTE. You'll notice that the model is not original.

I don't really know what I'm doing with the tools yet so here's a plain, unsigned ISO and a .EXE.

Please try my little program by running it under the emulator of your choice. It was tested under No$PSX (under WINE) and PCSXR.

Thank you :)

PS-EXE, ISO

Updated version:

early3dDemo2.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tommy on May 26th, 2014, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Tommy » May 25th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Should I reply to myself? I've no idea of the etiquette.

Anyway, I managed to produce a video on real hardware; I'm tortuously burning discs right now* so the fact that I'd left some debug info on screen wasn't enough to dissuade me from uploading.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNgUEvLaSpY[/youtube]

* a serial cable is en route.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 25th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Pretty cool! Your forgot to license the image though ;)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Tommy
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Tommy » May 26th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Right. Here's a bootable ISO and the latest EXE. This project has now been tested on real hardware and a screenshot from there, in glorious composite, is attached.

I also threw in a few more ships, as I continue barely to tax the hardware despite hugely inefficient code. That second bit is why I haven't included it yet and probably won't get it up in time for the competition. I'm certain it'll be a lot better in the near future.

Shadow wrote:Pretty cool! Your forgot to license the image though ;)
Suffice to say, with that particular property being well defended and with a new release due this year, this is very much placeholder art. Even if I ended up writing more or less exactly that game...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

isufje
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by isufje » May 26th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Good Stuff :praise You have my vote
Tommy wrote:...inefficient code. That second bit is why I haven't included it yet...
Who cares :)
I would actually like to see your code. As long as notepad can open it up and i can compile it (or at least try to...) that's all that matters, right :)

Tommy
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Tommy » May 27th, 2014, 9:46 am

isufje wrote:Who cares :)
In that case I've gone one step further and started a repository on GitHub. That solves the problem of showing code now and ensuring any improvements I find time to make are always published.

Also it's a very convenient backup...

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 2nd, 2014, 5:46 pm

Competition ended. This program had a total of 2 votes and came in third place.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.