General homebrew games, programs and PlayStation PS-EXE's
Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 31st, 2022, 10:20 pm

The 'jade green' debugger has VRAM with the old GPU if I'm not mistaken. It was the 'blue' debugger which had SGRAM and new GPU (like all models did after the SCPH-1000).
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by tiagosc » January 1st, 2023, 1:28 am

PTCC wrote: December 31st, 2022, 8:21 pm Hi =)

i tried the demo on different Ps1 Models like Psone, 7502.
It has the same graphic bug =(

Hello, these graphics bugs are very strange, it seems to be some texture configuration error (tpage, clut), I didn't use TextureFlipping and for sprites with flip, I used TexturedQuads.

Screenshot of my PSone (scph103)

Screenshot of my PSX (scph5501)

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » January 1st, 2023, 1:37 am

Shadow wrote: December 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm I noticed the sprite scaling on the rings coming closer on the TV screen. Very nice effect. Managed to find a small bug in the level design too which is that you can get stuck between these spikes. I can give you some code which will detect what GPU model is running so you can enable or disable the sprite flipping as needed for maximum compatibility.

This is easily one of the best Sonic ports I've even seen. Only thing that needs to be fixed up is the sound design and the invincible Sonic colours look a bit strange, but everything else seems to be pretty damn accurate. Would love a copy of the source. Also gave you the "Elite PSX Programmer" role.

Thanks! I sent you a private message.

This bug in the collision of the spikes near the wall also has in the original game, it happens when a collision in the air near a solid object and the scenery wall is checked.

PTCC
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Admin of Ps1 The Collectors Club
Motto: Follow your dreams
PlayStation Model: DTL-H3002
Discord: #0174

Post by PTCC » January 1st, 2023, 3:01 am

Its me again =)
Ive tried it now with a Xstation, PSone, SCPH-5502, SCPH-7502
and a PS2 with modchip, on all consoles i have thid graphic bug =(

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » January 1st, 2023, 8:00 am

PTCC wrote: January 1st, 2023, 3:01 am Its me again =)
Ive tried it now with a Xstation, PSone, SCPH-5502, SCPH-7502
and a PS2 with modchip, on all consoles i have thid graphic bug =(
I found the problem!
As your consoles are PAL, the framebuffer was set to 256 pixels high and ended up overwriting the color palettes, I made a new version with 240 pixels high for PAL, but note that the game runs slower (50 fps), I will need to make a specific version for PAL.

Here the corrected version:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rsd83sdx ... AL.7z/file

Tested on Duckstation with bios SCPH-1002, DTL-H1202, H3002

VRAM

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » January 1st, 2023, 3:22 pm

tiagosc wrote: January 1st, 2023, 1:37 am This bug in the collision of the spikes near the wall also has in the original game, it happens when a collision in the air near a solid object and the scenery wall is checked.
Two ideas, either one might work:
In the game map: Insert an (invisible) floor tile between the object and wall.
In the game engine: Check if player is between object and wall and then act as if the floor would have same height as the object.

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » January 2nd, 2023, 1:14 am

nocash wrote: January 1st, 2023, 3:22 pm
tiagosc wrote: January 1st, 2023, 1:37 am This bug in the collision of the spikes near the wall also has in the original game, it happens when a collision in the air near a solid object and the scenery wall is checked.
Two ideas, either one might work:
In the game map: Insert an (invisible) floor tile between the object and wall.
In the game engine: Check if player is between object and wall and then act as if the floor would have same height as the object.
Thanks for the tips! I will test these ideas.

Note that in the original game they use objects to make the wall collision in this part:

Another very simple way to solve this problem is to move the spikes a little closer to the wall:

PTCC
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by PTCC » January 2nd, 2023, 8:09 am

Thank you very much tiagosc, now it work =)

Iam 39 years old and thank wonderfull people like you, iam feeling like 14 again when i play this Games/Homebrew.
I hope you work further on this awesome Project.
I was so happy that i make a 90´s cover for it :P

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 2nd, 2023, 4:41 pm

tiagosc wrote: Another very simple way to solve this problem is to move the spikes a little closer to the wall:
That's what I would do. It seems to be a mistake by the Sonic Team at SEGA in the level design.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Vika23
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Vika23 » January 13th, 2023, 7:09 am

tiagosc wrote: August 6th, 2022, 9:47 am
MottZilla wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:10 pm This looks really good. Is this a completely new development or is it a port of an existing Sonic game engine?
Thanks! It's a port of my port of the sonic engine for snes, I intend to create my own game based on sonic
Hello Dude! Just want say thanks! I boot ur port on PS4! I know is sound weird, but also fun to play it there! :D

Here u can see Gameplay!
VIDEO

I will keep eye on ur project!

PTCC
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by PTCC » February 9th, 2023, 4:58 am

Any news?

sahlberg
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by sahlberg » March 13th, 2023, 9:15 am

I converted the cue/bin into a EBOOT.PBP for PSP and it works beautifully.

This is the command-line I used to convert it and install it on my PSP:
./pop-fe.py --psp-dir=auto --game_id=HBRW00099 --title=Sonic ps1-sonic/GAME.cue

And it works absolutely beautiful.

The reason I have to specify --game_id and --title is because the game executable is called MAIN.EXE in your system.cnf.
Original PS1 games have the executable named like SLES01234 which pop-fe uses to determine what game it is and which cover images to download and use.
If you make a new release, would it be possible to change MAIN.EXE to something unique like HBRW00099 (homebrew 00099)? If so I can add this entry to my game database and make it so converting the cue/bin into a PSP or a PS3 package would work out of the box.

I created a cover image in case anyone wants to print it and create a proper physical case for this demo : ""

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 14th, 2023, 7:07 am

Suggesting to use 9-letter filenames on a console with 8-letter filenames seems to be a bit misguided.
And I don't understand how (and why) you want to invent a numbering scheme where people might happen to use 00099 for the different titles. A descriptive name like SONICTSC.EXE might be a better way.
But I doubt that you could possibly convice everyone not to use default names like MAIN.EXE. It would be easier to compute a CRC32 on the file to distinguish duplicated names.

danny19901
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by danny19901 » April 1st, 2023, 4:44 am

Pretty Awesome work and nice i may need to try this out looks promising

silvercool
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Discord: carlomartinezmusic

Post by silvercool » October 6th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Hi im interested in learning to port snes games and genesis to ps1.

tiagosc if you are available please let me know,

Thank you