Burn and Play: Yes
Executable Included: No
Source Included: No

This is my PSX-Sonic Project.
Thanks to LameGuy64 for the wonderful tutorials on how to use the GPU
and to everyone at PSXDEV.

CUE + BIN: https://www.mediafire.com/file/r1vinqyc ... SX.7z/file

Video: https://youtu.be/li-hwRBmr_M
Last edited by tiagosc on January 20th, 2023, 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

alexfree
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Gamer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

Post by alexfree » August 5th, 2022, 1:09 pm

Amazing. It runs so well. I made it through the end on the SCPH-1000, shows lots of promise.

Bugs:
- Can't die (not even in pits)
- No boss (not yet implemented)
- Ring counter is weird if you loose rings

MottZilla
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by MottZilla » August 5th, 2022, 2:10 pm

This looks really good. Is this a completely new development or is it a port of an existing Sonic game engine?

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by tiagosc » August 6th, 2022, 9:41 am

alexfree wrote: August 5th, 2022, 1:09 pm Amazing. It runs so well. I made it through the end on the SCPH-1000, shows lots of promise.

Bugs:
- Can't die (not even in pits)
- No boss (not yet implemented)
- Ring counter is weird if you loose rings
Cool, I tested it and it ran 100% on my scph5501 and on a PSone, the bugs you saw are because the game is still under development.

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » August 6th, 2022, 9:47 am

MottZilla wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:10 pm This looks really good. Is this a completely new development or is it a port of an existing Sonic game engine?
Thanks! It's a port of my port of the sonic engine for snes, I intend to create my own game based on sonic

alexfree
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Gamer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

Post by alexfree » August 6th, 2022, 11:31 am

tiagosc wrote: August 6th, 2022, 9:47 am
MottZilla wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:10 pm This looks really good. Is this a completely new development or is it a port of an existing Sonic game engine?
Thanks! It's a port of my port of the sonic engine for snes, I intend to create my own game based on sonic
The feel of everything is spot on. I feel like I'm controlling Sonic on a PS1 port done by Sega themselves. The movement and speed is great.

MottZilla
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by MottZilla » August 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm

I've seen that SNES Sonic demo! It was also very impressive. I hope you continue working on them.

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » August 7th, 2022, 1:04 am

MottZilla wrote: August 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm
I've seen that SNES Sonic demo! It was also very impressive. I hope you continue working on them.
on PSX it's easy to convert 100% Sonic from Genesis, on SNES the sprite limits are more complicated and make it difficult to make a 1:1 port, I plan to make a Sonic style game with versions for PSX/Saturn and maybe SNES

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » August 7th, 2022, 1:21 am

alexfree wrote: August 6th, 2022, 11:31 am
The feel of everything is spot on. I feel like I'm controlling Sonic on a PS1 port done by Sega themselves. The movement and speed is great.
I'm glad you liked it, the PSX is a wonderful console for both 3D and 2D, the cpu is good, the GPU is really fast and the audio quality is excellent, too bad it didn't have a RAM expansion, so the 2D ports of Capcom fighting games would be perfect.

MottZilla
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by MottZilla » August 7th, 2022, 12:25 pm

tiagosc wrote: August 7th, 2022, 1:21 am I'm glad you liked it, the PSX is a wonderful console for both 3D and 2D, the cpu is good, the GPU is really fast and the audio quality is excellent, too bad it didn't have a RAM expansion, so the 2D ports of Capcom fighting games would be perfect.
I definitely agree with that. Looking at the No$PSX documentation it certainly seems like Sony could have made a RAM Expansion which definitely could have benefited many 2D ports. The Capcom fighting games Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter and Marvel Vs Capcom always jump out as those ports ended up being quite poor due to all the cuts made since they lacked enough memory. When you look at MSH Vs SF on the Saturn it got an amazing nearly perfect port with the 4 megabyte RAM expansion. If the Playstation had a similar RAM expansion then perhaps it could have been close to that too. And then you have the NeoGeo ports that definitely could have benefited from more memory.

It's really too bad they didn't do it. I think someone could do it today, but software support for it would be the tough part and you'd need that to justify its existence. I think MSH Vs SF and MVSC might support more animation if you do a mirror match, so maybe if someone was crazy enough they could hack those to use the extra animation all the time.

karehaani
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH3000

Post by karehaani » August 10th, 2022, 6:19 am

How wonderful...... :shock:
I was impressed to be able to play Sonic on ps1. :D
Thank you for creating :praise
I had a very nostalgic and enjoyable time. ;)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 5th, 2022, 5:30 pm

Very impressive. A few bugs of course as mentioned by another user, but it looks like it's basically flawless.

Original Yamaha YM2612 music from the game would be nice to have playing the audio tracks. If you wanted the newer remixes, you could have an option for it for users to select from :)
:null:
tiagosc wrote: the PSX is a wonderful console, too bad it didn't have a RAM expansion
You can make and add your own RAM expansion to the parallel port. It will be slower than the main system RAM but much faster than the CD-ROM. It could be used solely as a data pool/cache I guess but then people would need to somehow make their own or buy your RAM expansion kit :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » September 6th, 2022, 10:08 am

Shadow wrote: September 5th, 2022, 5:30 pm Very impressive. A few bugs of course as mentioned by another user, but it looks like it's basically flawless.

Original Yamaha YM2612 music from the game would be nice to have playing the audio tracks. If you wanted the newer remixes, you could have an option for it for users to select from :)
:null:
tiagosc wrote: the PSX is a wonderful console, too bad it didn't have a RAM expansion
You can make and add your own RAM expansion to the parallel port. It will be slower than the main system RAM but much faster than the CD-ROM. It could be used solely as a data pool/cache I guess but then people would need to somehow make their own or buy your RAM expansion kit :)
"Original Yamaha YM2612 music from the game"

Yes, that would be great extra content!

"You can make and add your own RAM expansion to the parallel port"

Very good! It's already an interesting possibility; If the reading speed is enough to transfer sprites frame, it would be possible to animate 2D fighting games without cutting animation frames.

Koop the Koopa
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer
Discord: 781826155379949608

Post by Koop the Koopa » September 13th, 2022, 2:15 am

This is outstanding!
I've never seen an actual sonic game or tech demo before in the PS1.
I'm really impressed that you've made this :D

TheShadowRunner
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Enthusiast
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1000

Post by TheShadowRunner » September 19th, 2022, 11:43 pm

Tested and blown away by the music's quality, awesome!

PTCC
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Admin of Ps1 The Collectors Club
Motto: Follow your dreams
PlayStation Model: DTL-H3002
Discord: #0174

Post by PTCC » December 29th, 2022, 4:59 am

Wow, this is INSANE.
I dont know why, but when you burn the disc and play it on a ps1 there are huge graphic problems, on Duckstation it work perfect.
Did anyone try this on real hardware?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 29th, 2022, 8:21 am

PTCC wrote: December 29th, 2022, 4:59 am Wow, this is INSANE.
I dont know why, but when you burn the disc and play it on a ps1 there are huge graphic problems, on Duckstation it work perfect.
When I tested it I think I used DuckStation as well (can't remember). I can try it on real hardware sometime though if the dev is still working on it ;)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

tiagosc
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer

Post by tiagosc » December 30th, 2022, 1:16 pm

PTCC wrote: December 29th, 2022, 4:59 am Wow, this is INSANE.
Hi! It was tested and works on SCPH5501, PSONE and SCPH1001, remembering that it is NTSC version, I burn the ISO with ImgBurn.

Another issues could be the gpu "208 pin vs 160 pin" compatibility, for example: i can't use texture flip
on the 160 pin gpu.

I posted a small update with some bugs fixed and added Sprite Scaling/Rotation effects

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm

I noticed the sprite scaling on the rings coming closer on the TV screen. Very nice effect. Managed to find a small bug in the level design too which is that you can get stuck between these spikes. I can give you some code which will detect what GPU model is running so you can enable or disable the sprite flipping as needed for maximum compatibility.

This is easily one of the best Sonic ports I've even seen. Only thing that needs to be fixed up is the sound design and the invincible Sonic colours look a bit strange, but everything else seems to be pretty damn accurate. Would love a copy of the source. Also gave you the "Elite PSX Programmer" role.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PTCC
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Admin of Ps1 The Collectors Club
Motto: Follow your dreams
PlayStation Model: DTL-H3002
Discord: #0174

Post by PTCC » December 31st, 2022, 8:21 pm

Hi =)

i tried the demo on different Ps1 Models like Psone, 7502.
It has the same graphic bug =(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.