Controller: Digital
Players: 1
Memory Card: N/A
Languages: Eng
Region: NTSC
Burn and Play: Yes
Executable Included: No (bin+cue)
Source Included: Yes

This is a homebrew PSX Snake game that you can run on your PlayStation classic, PS1 emulator, or your real PS1 console. It took around a month to make and supports 3D graphics, 2D sprites, custom fonts, sound effects, and CD music.

The V2 update adds the ability to speed up and slow down with L1 and R1 (6 levels of speed). This version also includes a new screen showing the controls before starting the game.

Download Snake V2 BIN + CUE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJtxum ... sp=sharing
Download full source code and project assets V2 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZfZee2 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by rubixcube6 on July 4th, 2022, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 28th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Looks really good! I'll have to give it a try :)

EDIT: Gave it a try. Works fine, but the gameplay is slow. Would be nice if it ran super smooth or you had an option for that, but I guess you tried to replicate the same feeling as the original Snake game on the old Nokia mobile/cell phones ;)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by Xavi92 » November 2nd, 2021, 5:11 am

It looks amazing! I agree with Shadow's suggestions: just make it run faster and smoother and the game is good to go. :D

rubixcube6
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by rubixcube6 » July 4th, 2022, 7:26 am

Shadow wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:46 pm Looks really good! I'll have to give it a try :)

EDIT: Gave it a try. Works fine, but the gameplay is slow. Would be nice if it ran super smooth or you had an option for that, but I guess you tried to replicate the same feeling as the original Snake game on the old Nokia mobile/cell phones ;)
Thank you! Sorry for the big delay but here is an update! The Nokia version of snake was my inspiration so instead of moving smoothly it moves in timed increments. This update adds the ability to speed up and slow down with L1 and R1. Speed level 6 is the fastest and is super difficult around the edges while speed 1 is super easy and useful for planning your next move. Thanks for the suggestion! it definitely made it a lot more fun to play.

All the information below has been updated.

Snake

Username: rubixcube6 aka MBDesigns
Project Title: Snake
Time to Complete: 1 Month
SDK: Psy-Q
Genre: Game
Latest Release: Alpha Version 2.0
In Development: Yes
Initial Release Date: 12-JUNE-2021
Last Date Updated: 3-JULY-2022
Controller: Digital
Players: 1
Memory Card: N/A
Languages: Eng
Region: NTSC
Burn and Play: Yes
Executable Included: No (bin+cue)
Source Included: Yes

This is a homebrew PSX Snake game that you can run on your PlayStation classic, PS1 emulator, or your real PS1 console. It took around a month to make and supports 3D graphics, 2D sprites, custom fonts, sound effects, and CD music.

The V2 update adds the ability to speed up and slow down with L1 and R1 (6 levels of speed). This version also includes a new screen showing the controls before starting the game.

Download Snake V2 BIN + CUE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJtxum ... sp=sharing
Download full source code and project assets V2 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZfZee2 ... sp=sharing

rubixcube6
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by rubixcube6 » July 4th, 2022, 7:30 am

Xavi92 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 5:11 am It looks amazing! I agree with Shadow's suggestions: just make it run faster and smoother and the game is good to go. :D
This was a good suggestion, I just submitted an update (see above) and it is a lot more fun to play now. You can adjust your speed to how you like it now with L1 and R1 and I added a screen that shows controls before the game starts.