Newer X-Flash Builds

General homebrew games, programs and PlayStation PS-EXE's
danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » March 11th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Yes works fine at 1,036,800bps with a 1.5metre link cable. USB cable length makes no difference whatsoever in my tests.

Most USB UART ve found will work absolutely fine up to 2,000,000bps. Using RS232 voltage levels you are kind of stuck at 345,000bps.

I made the decision to keep nxflash at 115,200bps as there is seriously no need for it to be faster and it ensures that the software will work with everything, even if somebody wanted to use an old Yaroze serial cable or a Sharklink cable.

As I always say, genuine FTDI is the best to go for.. especially if its a full breakout board as you can use it for everything, and if fully wired you can also use for Yaroze/SIOCONS.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » March 12th, 2020, 12:14 am

Great info there, thanks :)

Just wanted to mention that, if you think about it, that FTDI original stuff is really outdated.
These modules perform an operation that every popular microcontroller has had a dedicated hardware unit for since maybe 15 years.
An STM32 blue pill for $3 would probably run circles around it, and that is like 10 years old now?

And if you get to the newer Espressif micros, well.. :D

But yeah, nxflash is something that needs to be rock solid stable. I agree with the 115,200 there.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » March 12th, 2020, 11:02 am

I still stand by FTDI, especially for Yaroze purposes, there isnt anything else available currently that offers the same handshaking flexibility, For non handshaking i find siliconlabs or the ch340 work perfectly fine. The CH340 is like around $2.

Espressif dont make anything USB currently, but yes I have tested the ESP32 with the loboris uPython port and its UARTS work well at the high speed. There is a firmware out there for the bluepill that offers a few usb serial ports, not tried it personally.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » March 13th, 2020, 6:56 am

Yeah, they have a mature solution that everyone likes using. I'll give them that.
It's just that manufactured hype, and the notorious device bricking, all over a pretty basic function, that irks me :p

On topic, I've successfully flashed a cart using nxflash the other day.
It was good to see the loading bar not hanging, as so often happened with xflash ;p

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » March 13th, 2020, 9:14 pm

The notorious device bricking is down to counterfeit devices.. buy genuine its never ever an issue.

Glad to hear you have sucess with it, I don wonder how many people use it.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » March 13th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Well, the psxdev world (however big it truly is :p) needs a good source of serial cables.
It has to be cheap, be available to buy, but also have all the features + decent speed.

I was using a CD to flash the cart, but it sure was a hassle (again. It's always a hassle to re-learn how to work all these tools :p).

Something like your offer from ages ago would be perfect. A cable that plugs into the port and has the USB conversion built in.
This would then have to be stocked (in little quantity) at some of the popular retro stores we have today.
It wouldn't make much money, but it would bring in all those developers that fail at the required hardware step.

Edit:
Or your WiFi Serial project.. Both of those would be good options.
I think the only real issue here is the PSX connector :p

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » March 20th, 2020, 1:51 pm

rama3 wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:08 pm Edit:
Or your WiFi Serial project.. Both of those would be good options.
I think the only real issue here is the PSX connector :p
Yeah, I did buy a few cables, but it was easier just to solder some wires in and screw an arduino to the lid. Some actual cables would be great!

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » March 21st, 2020, 5:35 am

It would be a project that wouldn't generate any money, due to extremely low demand.
But once or twice a year, I expect that someone needs such a cable, or else they won't develop for the PSX.
It's a pity, too, since other than the interface, the hardware is greatly accessible!

Mdv
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Mdv » October 22nd, 2020, 8:22 am

Squaresoft74 wrote: April 11th, 2019, 1:33 pm Game Hunter Lite : UNKNOWN D0 01

Password Card PS-121B : UNKNOWN D0 01

PS Hacker : UNKNOWN 01 20

Power Replay III : UNKNOWN 01 20
Squaresoft would you have a rom dump of the password card ps-121b?

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » October 22nd, 2020, 11:37 am

Sure, get attached file. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mdv
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Mdv » October 22nd, 2020, 9:39 pm

thanks. do i flash the cart with x-flash on a pc the same way as the xplorer?

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 22nd, 2020, 10:53 pm

If you are flashing anything other than an xplorer I would flash from CD, as you can't use the port on those for PC connection.

Alternatively, you might be able to send the ROM using an xplorer and then hot swap and flash it.

Mdv
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Mdv » October 22nd, 2020, 11:17 pm

danhans42 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 10:53 pm If you are flashing anything other than an xplorer I would flash from CD, as you can't use the port on those for PC connection.

Alternatively, you might be able to send the ROM using an xplorer and then hot swap and flash it.
how do i flash from cd, do i put x-flash on it with the rom file?

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 23rd, 2020, 3:01 am

If I am honest, I would just look at using UniROM to flash your cart. Its more recently updated and handles everything a lot better.

Its not just a matter of burning a ROM to a CD, it needs to be packaged into a romfile for xflash to read it, same with IniROM.. However, the unirom downloads have the archive of pretty much most roms included thanks to Squaresoft74.. so I would recommend that.

Get the latest version, go to flash and off you go. The link to it is on the forum.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » October 23rd, 2020, 4:38 am

Clone cartridges dumps aren't included yet with Unirom disc, i still need to compile an archive for those and submit it to Sickle.
Sorry it's taking some time, it's just that sorting/renaming those is a bit of a mess compared to the Datel/Xplorer dumps.
Just note you may still not be able to flash your cart using NxFlash/Unirom if yours also have that CSI CAT28F010N eeprom as it's not supported, at least mine isn't.
It might be down to a higher voltage (12v) being required for programming it.
Dan or Sickle might be able to answer this better. :)
I'll upgrade mine with a compatible SST29EE010 eeprom when i get them to bypass this problem.

Side question, Dan any plan to update NxFlash at all at some point ?
(At least on the supported eeproms field).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 23rd, 2020, 6:06 am

Hi,

Yeah the CAT EEPROM has a separate Vpp pin so can't be flashed.

On xtlash.. erm I really don't know. I no longer use PsyQ and given how good unirom is now it's almost redundant

If I can move it all over easily to GCC/Nicolas toolchain I may.. however that would then exclude CD support

Mdv
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Mdv » October 23rd, 2020, 6:47 am

my cart has the SST29EE010 chip. it has unirom on it but i want to put it back as it was so i can sell it with a console.
Last edited by Mdv on October 24th, 2020, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » October 23rd, 2020, 4:27 pm

@Dan
Thanks for confirming about the eeprom.
True that Unirom became really good lately, Sickle did an amazing job with it.
Perfectly understandable if you prefer to focus on some other projects not using PsyQ anymore.
Just letting you know NxFlash is still appreciated in its current state anyway. :)

@Mdv
Here's the rom embedded into nocash's flasher for now.
Burn the attached image to a disc, boot it, plug your cart and follow on screen instructions to restore it. :)

Mdv
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Mdv » October 23rd, 2020, 11:03 pm

Squaresoft74 wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 4:27 pm @Mdv
Here's the rom embedded into nocash's flasher for now.
Burn the attached image to a disc, boot it, plug your cart and follow on screen instructions to restore it. :)

thanks, the cart is now restored. i also have a goldfinger and smart cartridge, can these be restored aswell?
i have the rom files if you need them.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » October 24th, 2020, 5:38 am

It depends if the eeproms are supported/writable, can you post pictures ?
Are they cartridges you've dumped ?
Roms are welcome if you can share them. :)