PSXSDK question?

Programming examples for other SDK's
NaughtyCow
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Student

PSXSDK question?

Post by NaughtyCow » June 8th, 2016, 2:16 am

Does it support XA audio. I didn't find anything in the Doxygen Documentation. If yes, is there any example or can you say which functions I have to use.
Also unrelated question: is there any way to convert MIDIs to .mod?

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » June 8th, 2016, 2:36 am

I doubt there is XA/streaming support in PSXSDK at all. You're better off using the PsyQ SDK if you want to take full advantage of the PSX.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

NaughtyCow
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Student

Post by NaughtyCow » June 8th, 2016, 3:01 am

LameGuy64 wrote:I doubt there is XA/streaming support in PSXSDK at all. You're better off using the PsyQ SDK if you want to take full advantage of the PSX.
I know, but I find the PSYQ documentation very difficult, since it doesn't seem to be very informative (it assumes you know everything about PS hardware). Anyway, I found some function called CdPlayTrack(..), which seems to be the one I was looking for.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 8th, 2016, 3:04 am

NaughtyCow wrote:
LameGuy64 wrote:I doubt there is XA/streaming support in PSXSDK at all. You're better off using the PsyQ SDK if you want to take full advantage of the PSX.
I know, but I find the PSYQ documentation very difficult, since it doesn't seem to be very informative (it assumes you know everything about PS hardware). Anyway, I found some function called CdPlayTrack(..), which seems to be the one I was looking for.
Psy-Q has the utmost best documentation of any SDK. CdPlayTrack sounds like CDDA based audio which is fine and all, but there is no 4:1 compression scheme and there are some other drawbacks too when using it over XA.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by Xavi92 » June 9th, 2016, 4:09 am

Hi NaughtyCow,
Choose whatever SDK you like the most. I am fond of open-source software, so I'm like PSXSDK all the way. In fact,I was looking exactly for the same thing on PSXSDK a few weeks ago. Only CDDA is supported AFAIK by calling CdPlayTrack(), but did not get any good results. IIRC, some CD control registers were not initialised properly here and there, but I couldn't get it working anyway. The only thing I got playing was an unknown, synth-like sound which didn't come from any of the music I pretended to use.
It'd be great if we could share source code and see what we can achieve.

reachC
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by reachC » February 18th, 2018, 11:14 pm

NaughtyCow wrote: June 8th, 2016, 2:16 am Also unrelated question: is there any way to convert MIDIs to .mod?
You can convert your MIDI files to MOD with OpenMPT.