Hi. I thought I would start a worklog on my game that I'm working on and the problems I encounter.
My previous topic can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=308
Do not bother trying to play the releases after R1 in an emulator. They wont work. Use REAL hardware.
Release 1 Download (01/JUNE/2013): download/file.php?id=138
Here is a YouTube video showing proof of concept of the game running (Release 1).
In this old version, I used VAG audio for the title theme. Now however, I'm using a mix of XA, VAG and VB/VH.
There is a bug on the title screen in the video that shows a blue underline under the 'Press any button' image. This was because I accidentally used a background with the image still on it and not blanked out
I have recently coded in the use of 'malloc3'. This means that all files are pulled off of the CD-ROM and stored with a pointer in RAM. This way, once an image is copied to VRAM and initalised, I can free it from RAM, thus freeing a lot of memory for other things.
One problem I found was that I was using math based rotation for the ship sprite. A single 22x26 pixel sprite was loaded into the framebuffer and rotated every ten degrees. The problem with this was that the ship would become 'distorted' at odd angles due to the nature of software based rotation. It was decent as you can see in the video, but far from perfect. The new approach to this I thought was to use 36 sprites hand drawn from scratch and rendered in 3D software. I would like to use a 3D engine to animate and move my ships, but I think 2D will do fine for now, though I may look into it anyhow
Another difficult problem that I had to face was programming the use of a MULTITAP for support of up to 4-players. While I got it all working, you can only have two DUALSHOCK controllers vibrating at once time due to the limits of the PlayStation hardware. If you make a DUALSHOCK controller vibrate, the two motors inside draw a certain amount of current (the larger motor on the right drawing more of course). The limitation is that the PlayStation hardware can only put out a certain amount of current until a fuse blows. How much it is, I'm not sure, but a multimeter on the controller voltage line in series would find out.
I will keep this topic updated with images, problems and information as I progress