PlayStation Model: SCPH-103
Discord: TEddy#7355

DIY PSone (PS1 Slim) Power Adaptor

Post by TEddy69 » December 26th, 2022, 6:59 pm

(Warning : Broken English :crying)

Hello There forum
I like to show you what i experimenting on these past 3 weeks
I made myself a PSone (SCPH-10x) power adaptor using Buck Converter

This project came into my mind when my PSone power brick from Aliexpress decide to give my PSone constant reset

So i decide to buy 3 Buck Converters and here my results
-> XL6009 Buck Boost Converter = Ps1 constantly reset itself when reading cd
-> XL4015 Buck Converter = Works but not long, IC start to get hot when playing game demo, Rare on constant resetting (Heatsink might help a little)
-> XL4016 Buck Converter = Perfectly Working, Thank to integrated heatsink it always running decently cool

My Setup
- Toshiba Laptop Charger (19 Volt 2.37 Amps)
- XL4016 Buck Converter (I set the voltage on 7.87 Volt, After i plugged on to PSone it changes to 7.52 Volt)
- PSOne Slim SCPH-103 NTSC-J (PM-41 Motherboard)
- Picomemcard
- PS2 Controller
- Game for Testing : Nascar Rumble NTSC-U (Ripped on to Verbatim CD)

Pictures :

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » December 27th, 2022, 7:44 am

The converter board, is that something like this: http://www.high-voltage-lab.com/61/6v-to-12v-converter ?
That schematic is very useful if you want to raise the voltage (like from 5V to 7.5V) (no promises if that specific schematic provides enough amperes for the PSone).

Anyways, if you do merely need to lower the voltage from 9.5V..30V to 7.5V then it might be easier to use a simple voltage regulator like "µA 78S075" (plus heatsink, otherwise it gets really hot when powering a PSone with that). The downside is that the heat is wasting energy, I don't know if your setup is more efficient, the "buck converters" should be more efficient.

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Usual Internet Surfer
Motto: Night Always Tells The Truth

Post by TEddy69 » December 27th, 2022, 4:17 pm

nocash wrote: December 27th, 2022, 7:44 am Anyways, if you do merely need to lower the voltage from 9.5V..30V to 7.5V then it might be easier to use a simple voltage regulator like "µA 78S075" (plus heatsink, otherwise it gets really hot when powering a PSone with that). The downside is that the heat is wasting energy, I don't know if your setup is more efficient, the "buck converters" should be more efficient.
That should do the work but yea, just like you said that IC can get hot if you use it long play
Imo, XL4016 Buck converter is pretty much overkill (idk the right word for over-feature) IC spec wise for just stepping down the voltage and using it for PSone Slim since it (PSone Slim) only needs little watt and ampere to make it run and playable

Maybe there more compact buck converters that im not aware of

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » December 27th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Yes, overkill would be the right word in english... but after looking into the wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter I have changed mind and I would now say that it looks optimal, not like overkill.

I had some trouble to understand why they are using a inductor coil in a step-down converter. But this picture is neatly illustrating the purpose: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Buck_operating.svg
It would be more compact without the coil and diode, but those components help to keep the current flowing even when the transistor is switched off. I don't know enough about analog electronics to understand the exact advantages, but it looks very elegant.

Anyways, I've learned something about modern voltage converters. Thanks!
Last edited by nocash on December 27th, 2022, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Usual Internet Surfer
Motto: Night Always Tells The Truth

Post by TEddy69 » December 27th, 2022, 10:27 pm

You're welcome
And thank you for the approval Lord NoCash