Ridge Racer Type 4 unknown file format help needed

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
Guillermo-Tell
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Ridge Racer Type 4 unknown file format help needed

Post by Guillermo-Tell » October 20th, 2020, 10:05 am

Hi everyone,
I've been having a look inside RR Type 4 files but I'm currently stuck.

First of all, there's no text for filenames or similar. Looks like the filesystem is just all the files attached one after another. I can't find any index table for offsets or similar so I tried the bruteforce way. I'm sure there's no compression.

After some time, I've located what looks like the cars' resource files, but again, everything is really weird inside. There is geometry and textures inside for sure, but it's a mess.

The texture file is at the end, and there's no header for it, not a standard TIM. Not found the CLUT yet, but the texture is in 4 BPP.

The vertexes are in the middle and looks like there are several objects, maybe related to level of detail. After them there're more coordinates that look like normals. I can't find any UVs or faces.

I'm asking you because I ran out of ideas. I've already checked the PsyQ file format documentation without luck.

If it's ok with the forum rules, I can share my binary dumps for those who are interested, publicly or privately.

Thanks for your attention.

Davide_G
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Student
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5552

Post by Davide_G » March 22nd, 2023, 1:18 pm

I see you've made some small progress on another forum.
If you are interested here is a reverse engineering project in progress and it is at an advanced stage: https://wakelet.com/wake/GeXGnrhyIWM-zbHJ4KURI