Crash Team Racing - HOWL data extraction/modding

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
Xanvier
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Crash Team Racing - HOWL data extraction/modding

Post by Xanvier » May 7th, 2019, 1:28 am

Hello,

I just want to share what I've been able to do with the HOWL file format used in CTR. I've created a tool that can currently extract the sequence packs (working on getting the other stuff done such as sample pack extraction)

HowlDataExtractor on GitHub

I've also figured out some of the format as well, currently working on properly documenting it (I currently have a messy txt file).
I'll probably need some help converting these HOWL sequences to SMF/MIDI files because I'm unfamiliar with the format myself :D

It extracts using the .seq file extension but this isn't the SEQp format btw.
This should in theory work with any KART.HWL file, I've only tested it with the review build of CTR so far.

EDIT: I've added some notes here if you are curious what the format looks like.

EDIT2: Well I took a look at MIDI's spec and figured out a lot of the track format, still working on actually converting this to MIDI but I'm pleased to say I've figured out the most important bits out - note on and note off (this is Crash Cove's guitar, if you follow along it fits) :D

Xanvier
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Xanvier » May 13th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Mods please excuse me for double posting:

This research is going very well in fact, I've successfully ripped a track out of CTR!

Here's a test link of that same track I've showed above! :D

Time to polish things up and get this WORKING!

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » May 13th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Nice :)
That's the kind of stuff i would suggest you to come and discuss on the Official hcs64 Discord Server.
There are devs there that might be interested by such research and could help you.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 14th, 2019, 5:51 am

That's really nice work. It's a perfect rip. Excellent job! Can't wait to see what else you can extract and convert!!
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Xanvier
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Xanvier » May 14th, 2019, 7:55 am

Download linkus

Here's the tool if ya wanna play with it. Still some kinks to work out, I might have assigned wrong volumes. :D
And here's another rip if ya want. ;)

And yes, I've heard of hcs64, totally forgot about them... Will post there too!