Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

PSX Blaster (USB Comms Link)

Post by Shadow » January 6th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Designed for serious PlayStation developers, programmers and game enthusiasts.
* Only available from PSXDEV.NET *

100% Open Source Hardware and Software^

Last updated: 03/JULY/2013
Here is the USB Comms Link that the scene has been needing and wanting for such a long, long time...
The old work log for the PSX Blaster SIO Comms Link has been put away for safe keeping.

What is it?
This is basically just an Xplorer cartridge, but instead of using the LPT (parallel) port to connect to the PC, you can use USB (1.1) at a speed of 1 Megabyte per second. This will let your PC communicate with your PSX. So, you can upload your program (PS-EXE) into the PSX's RAM, and allow it execute. This is exactly how the original Psy-Q blue dongle worked seen here. The hardware and software is open source and can be edited and improved by anyone. Overall, the PSX Blaster is a development tool to make PSX games, and without it, you will not be able to run your games, code or programs on a real PSX.

Planned Features:
- Extremely fast USB link from the PC to the PSX at 1 Megabyte (1024 KB) per second,
- Supports VRAM dumping and RAM dumping,
- Supports RAM editing / memory snooping,
- Supports virtual hard disk imaging (IE: you can stream files from your PC HDD over USB instead of the PSX CD-ROM)
(Notice: Features may change at any given time as the PSX Blaster is an open source project in development)

No soldering required. Just plug the PSX Blaster into your PSX's PIO port, plug it into your PC over the included USB cable, setup the drivers, development environment (IE: Psy-Q) and you're ready to start uploading your games and programs to the PlayStation 1!

PSX Blaster Version 1.0 (FT245RL)
This design has been scratched.
You may download the EAGLE PCB design files below and do what you like with it. Note that it has never been built nor tested. No software exists for it either, so it is useless. Do not attempt to build it. It is for learning purposes only.

Version 1.0 PCB Dimensions: 70mm x 55mm.
We originally planned for Version 1.1 to be 50mm in height by moving some IC's to the back, changing the regulator and changing the 128 KB DIP Flash to SMD or PLCC. We will leave that up to you to do...

PCB Image 1: http://i.imgur.com/HBW3K.png
PCB Image 2: http://i.imgur.com/cdSwJ.png

EAGLE Schematic and Board file:
psx_blaster_FT245RL.zip

PSX Blaster Version 2.0
New designs are planned to be released soon...

^subject may change at any given time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: IT Consultant, Systems Integrator
PlayStation Model: 7501

Post by Gradius » January 8th, 2013, 3:36 am

How about the tools/apps to operate this one?

Looking for an evolution as cheating engine is possible to turn off the cheating? On regular xplorer/gspro you had a switcher, so if you needed to turn off the cheating (like dec a register/status at the end of a stage) you could do it.

Also with virtual drive from PC, is possible to replace the CD-ROM drive on PSX? E.g. loading entire games?

DIP (or PDIP) is still preferable since Flashes won't last forever and as DIP is easy to replace. Now if it were Serial Flash it would last 100x more.

Yuri^Cybdyn
Verified
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Embedded Developer (MCU & FPGA)
PlayStation Model: 5502

Post by Yuri^Cybdyn » January 8th, 2013, 6:56 am

of course, we plan made apps/tools for win-32 for working with this device.

i had idea also add sd card slot for expanding space for apps, saves, and maybe virtual drive, but actually it cant be emu for games, only for developing program.
my point is using simple flash-rom for boot up, and more bigger sd card for whatever other things. sd card work like serial flash, and easy to get in every market today. we need only add sd-slot to board)))

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » January 9th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Looks good. But why not just use the FT245 and interface to an existing AR cartridge? Saves on trying to source the parallel IO connectors?

Also your board overlays look like they follow the xplorer schematic very closely? If you worked with an original AR type board you would get faster data transfer as it allows the sending of 8 data bits at a time, the xplorer only allows 4bits at a time which is going to hit your speeds.

Just a thought but looking good.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 18th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Updates

- Dropped the price to $59.95 from the old $79.95.
- Waiting for parts in the mail for this still. More will be shown once it has been assembled.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

chenke
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by chenke » March 3rd, 2013, 11:05 pm

Amazing stuff :clap
I hope there will be some software( administrative client...etc) support on Windows too.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » March 7th, 2013, 7:45 am

This all sounds very good. but make it happen that we can use our PSYQ DEV KIT from the past. Also today running only on windows 98. needed ISA COMM CARD to connect the PS1.
the other Problem: ASMPSX.EXE the Compiler for the final EXE does not work with an 32 Bit System.

Maybe you can find a way to make it work on newer systems (32 bit).

so long
inc of lightforce// pdx// uca
Last edited by inc^lightforce on March 8th, 2013, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » March 7th, 2013, 7:50 am

WHICH ONE ??? Get on running the full PSYQ DEV KIT on a 32 BIT SYSTEM :) and i can drop my win 98 Dev PC.
cybdyn wrote:... only for developing program.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » March 7th, 2013, 8:19 am

i just downloaded your PSYQ SDK and checked the ASMPSX.EXE. the SDK includes a newer version than mine and voila. runs on win7 64 bit. Amazing.
i need to test compiling a whole palselector. when it's working i will write a lil programm for easy creating Demos/ intros - GAME-PPF-patches.

now testing

okay. i just made a TEST:
replacing your newer Version with my older was a fist step in the right direction. but other compilers don't run on win7 64 bit. i'll make a Test tomorrow on my XP System.

Incompatible:
RNC.exe ---> does not exist in your PSYQ SDK ! (internal Group tool)
CPE2X.exe
CPE2X.com ---> does not exist in your PSYQ SDK !
EXEFIXUP.exe ---> does not exist in your PSYQ SDK ! (fixing ps1.exe Header)
PSEXE.com ---> does not exist in your PSYQ SDK !

looking forward to windows XP. years i had problems with ASMPSX.EXE. Now solved.
Last edited by inc^lightforce on March 8th, 2013, 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 7th, 2013, 10:32 am

Nice. It's good to know Paradox is still alive :)

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » March 7th, 2013, 10:49 am

not really. but i am one of the last living hard leader :geek: . i hope i get all the stuff running. i'll give reply later.

mousefx
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mousefx » March 8th, 2013, 3:58 am

hey this looks awesome, when will psx blaster will be aviable ?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 8th, 2013, 10:05 am

Just waiting for the parts still to check the PCB footprints. All we do is wait for parts...

patrickvogt
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by patrickvogt » May 3rd, 2013, 5:53 pm

@inc^lightforce:

The source code for the EXEFIXUP is hosted here: http://napalm-x.thegypsy.com/adk/psx/. Although I had to change a few lines of the code to be compatible with the latest gcc. I've uploaded the modified code at my pastebin.

Greetings

PS: Will there be a special offer if you would purchase both a PSX Blaster and a PSIO?
Last edited by patrickvogt on May 3rd, 2013, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 3rd, 2013, 5:55 pm

patrickvogt wrote:Will there be a special offer if you would purchase both a PSX Blaster and a PSIO?
Well, you wouldn't want to buy a Blaster if you already own a PSIO because PSIO does the exact same thing but the PSX Blaster is just a cheaper option. Yes though, if you want both or buy one of the other (vice versa) we will offer a discount :)

patrickvogt
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by patrickvogt » May 3rd, 2013, 6:04 pm

Ok, due to this sentence ...,
Shadow wrote:If you have donated and supported PSIO, you will receive a discount on the PSX Blaster should you purchase one.
..., I thought the PSIO would be weaker in its debugging capabilities. Thanks for clarify that. Then I am only interessted in a PSIO.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » May 4th, 2013, 6:41 am

no need for that. i have my Psy-Q up and running.
see here:
Code Intro or Demo without PS1 Hardware

and my workshop here:
WORKSHOP CODING INTROS & DEMOS

cheers

patrickvogt wrote:@inc^lightforce:
The source code for the EXEFIXUP is hosted here: http://napalm-x.thegypsy.com/adk/psx/. Although I had to change a few lines of the code to be compatible with the latest gcc. I've uploaded the modified code at my pastebin.
Greetings

Matej
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Matej » November 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Hello. I am interesting in 2x USB Blaster. How much they will cost?
I want to try make some homebrew in PSXbasic (I am chipmusician and pixelart).

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » November 10th, 2013, 2:00 am

For now you can use PSXSERIAL to upload your EXEs to PS1.

You will have to build serial cable yourself though as the hardware is not on sale yet.
But you could ask Shadow if he is willing to sell you a cable he built.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by CosmoGuy » May 26th, 2014, 10:10 pm

May i ask if this plug:

VHDCI 68-pin female
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/SCS ... 1048820759

would be correct?
I actually can buy it. It's pretty expensive but i have some money to spent on things like that :P