Noah and the Poohludies

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
Misscelan
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Noah and the Poohludies

Post by Misscelan » February 3rd, 2018, 2:00 am

Hey there,

From time to time I've been working on this project and I tought it would be a good a idea to create a short of worklog here and update it as the project goes.

I love 3d platformers and love the playstation/n64 era so in my spare time I started working on one of them.
I'm not going to go much into the gameplay details for the moment since at this stage is merely a prototype, these are the biggest features implemented:

New video update:

OLD Video: Video

-Custom Level format (Export from blender) with LOD
-Custom Model format (Export from blender) with animation
-LOD for the level (low poly + color vertex back, highy poly + textures front)
-Fully 360 Cam
-Collision (even though still glitches from time to time)

There is still plenty of things to do, I worked on this like 3/4h per month, so it will probably take a couple of months for the nex update, but well it's not that I'm in a rush :).

Hope you like it!
Last edited by Misscelan on February 21st, 2018, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Game Designer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by NITROYUASH » February 3rd, 2018, 2:18 am

I like it.
Good luck :>

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 3rd, 2018, 2:29 am

Wow, another fantastic 3D demo! It looks really promising. Keep up the good work!! If you would like to purchase a DTL-H2000, just let me know since you would probably find it extremely useful.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Misscelan
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Misscelan » February 3rd, 2018, 8:14 pm

Thanks guys!
Shadow wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 2:29 am Wow, another fantastic 3D demo! It looks really promising. Keep up the good work!! If you would like to purchase a DTL-H2000, just let me know since you would probably find it extremely useful.
I would love to get a DTL! but I have two problems... I don't have space in my current setup for another PC and I'm broke XD. If those things change in the future and you still have them in stock I will definitely get one! Btw they don't come with the serial Ps1 gamepads right? Are those easy to get?

In any case I have ordered a PSIO last year, hopefully that will help me out with the development of this.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 4th, 2018, 5:25 pm

No, you'll need to make your own which is really easy. Literally, you just cut an existing PSX controller port with a knife and solder the joints to a male DB-9 cable. Information on how to do it can be found here.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » February 5th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Oooh, I'm honestly surprised someone else was working on their own 3D platformer for the PSX.

So far, it looks quite impressive! You even have a LOD and model animation system implemented which is not yet present in my engine and your collision detection looks a lot smoother than mine at the moment. Very promising indeed!

Looking forward to your next update of it!
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

Misscelan
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Misscelan » February 6th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Shadow wrote: February 4th, 2018, 5:25 pm No, you'll need to make your own which is really easy. Literally, you just cut an existing PSX controller port with a knife and solder the joints to a male DB-9 cable. Information on how to do it can be found here.
Cool, thanks! I never soldered anything, but if the time comes it seems pretty straightforward (also the rest of the tutorial seems to cover everything).
LameGuy64 wrote: February 5th, 2018, 12:09 pm Oooh, I'm honestly surprised someone else was working on their own 3D platformer for the PSX.

So far, it looks quite impressive! You even have a LOD and model animation system implemented which is not yet present in my engine and your collision detection looks a lot smoother than mine at the moment. Very promising indeed!

Looking forward to your next update of it!
Thanks so much for the comments! Yours has cel-shading, object placement and seems to run at a pretty decent framerate even for a prototype stage which are things missing from mine. I will be watching your project and looking forward to your updates too!

Aura
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Aura » February 13th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Hi, looks great! Very impressive.

Cool character, it looks like he has a TV for a head :p Do you have any details about the theme of the game?

As a 3d artist I am quite interested in working on something for the PlayStation, so if you ever need help with this project (i.e. level design, 3d modelling, texturing, etc) I'd be happy to help out.

I can't wait to see more!

Misscelan
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Misscelan » February 21st, 2018, 3:45 am

Hi everybody,

Here's another quick update.

New video update:

I have added some lighting to the model, updated the animations and some other things I don't remember now :?

Next time, I will change the vertex colors of the LOD model to match the main one so the geometry doesnt look so confusing. I have to implement the camera collision and enemies collision. Well there are many other things to do, but those will be my priority.

Cheers!

Aura wrote: February 13th, 2018, 9:02 pm Hi, looks great! Very impressive.

Cool character, it looks like he has a TV for a head :p Do you have any details about the theme of the game?

As a 3d artist I am quite interested in working on something for the PlayStation, so if you ever need help with this project (i.e. level design, 3d modelling, texturing, etc) I'd be happy to help out.

I can't wait to see more!
Thanks! I have no doubts you are going to be better at moddelling or animating, but it is also something I enjoy doing, for the moment I will keep doing, although I might change my mind in the future. Thanks in any case!

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 21st, 2018, 4:53 am

Oh my gosh that is impressive. It reminds me of "Fortnite". Would be cool to make something like that for the PSX and then we can develop a network device for it so we can have like, 8 player multiplayer over TCP/IP :)

Misscelan
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Misscelan » February 22nd, 2018, 3:49 am

Shadow wrote: February 21st, 2018, 4:53 am Oh my gosh that is impressive. It reminds me of "Fortnite". Would be cool to make something like that for the PSX and then we can develop a network device for it so we can have like, 8 player multiplayer over TCP/IP :)
Thanks!
hehe, well, my main goal is to finish the single player game I had in mind. Once that is done I would be open to develop something else with the resulting engine and that sounds very cool :) Although I have no clue of network programming, let alone developping a network device... :P