C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

MemcardRex mobile

Post by Shendo » October 28th, 2016, 5:19 am

I've started working on mobile version of MemcardRex Memory Card manager.
It's not a port of the desktop version but a complete rewrite so I got quite a few ways to go still.

I'm coding in JavaScript using Meteor framework and then exporting it to mobile platforms using Cordova.

I've also made a post on my blog so I'll just quote myself from there:
Features I'm aiming for:
Support for all file types desktop version supports.
Single save import / export feature.
Multiple Memory Cards opened at the same time.
Custom container format so you can have a single Memory Card with more than 15 saves.

It will behave a little differently than a desktop version.
A single save will be shown only once but with the indication of how much slots (space) it uses.
If a limit of 15 slots is surpassed then only a custom container format will be available for saving.

I plan to have a free version with limited features (but still very usable)
and a paid one with full features. No ads in any of those, I hate ads.

If you have any suggestions please post a comment.
I will post status updates here in this thread.

Also when I get to release-ready builds would anyone be interested in beta testing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shendo on January 8th, 2017, 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 28th, 2016, 5:13 pm

I'd be interested in adding it to the PSIO Memory Card Manager feature that's being implemented. I just need to make sure that the file formatting is the same and it should work fine with it, yes?
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » October 29th, 2016, 1:29 am

Are you talking about running it on PS1 or on PC? Because if it's on PS1,
I would need to code it from scratch once again as this is JavaScript application.
Unless you found a way to run JS on PS1, heh :D

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 29th, 2016, 2:17 am

The files would be outputted from the PS1 to the PC.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » October 29th, 2016, 2:39 am

Ah, I see. Well I first need to complete this version but that sounds interesting. We'll talk.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » November 6th, 2016, 8:24 am

Unfortunately Cordova is too damn slow it seems and pretty inconsistent across different Android versions.
Yeah, I know it's running in WebView but I had hoped for this simple application that it would be decent enough,
guess I was wrong.

For starters file system is not working properly on Android 6.0+ while it works fine for older releases.
While it finds and lists files properly byte size is 0 and files can't be opened.
I have no idea why, permissions are set up properly.
Materialize framework works fine on desktops but it's sluggish and sometimes "off" on mobile phones.
Sliding effects leave visual artifacts which stay on screen even if content is scrolled.

Here is a video of the application so you can see where I wanted to go with the UI.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7T26f14UQE[/youtube]

I've started learning React Native which already works much better and faster then
Cordova version of the application. I'll have to write application from scratch (once again, damn)
but it probably will be similar to the one shown in the video...

I'll update this thread with new info once in a while.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » January 8th, 2017, 3:43 am

I'm using React native now. Here's progress so far:

Image Image Image

Image Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 8th, 2017, 5:06 am

Looks great! Nice work as always Shendo :)

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » January 22nd, 2017, 3:56 pm

Thanks.
React is tricky having never worked with it prior to this but I'm chugging along.

This is a second rewrite in React Native actually as my first attempt was not up to par once I learned a few tricks.
I also got a blue screen in one of my coding sessions. After PC rebooted my main HDD was no longer available.
Turned out to be a loose SATA cable but it gave me a scare. Lesson learned, I now backup source periodically to my other drive.

Not that I didn't do it before but I was lazy about it and backed up occasionally.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 22nd, 2017, 5:03 pm

The exact same thing happened to me about 3 months ago. My SATA cable became faulty and my HDD would stop responding. Luckily I didn't lose anything, but I had to do a full CHKDSK with the /F and /R switches on boot up because some sectors were corrupted. I do full backups weekly (actually, full HDD clones) however since I learnt a lesson the hard way before that when a HDD actually failed on me physically (never get Seagate drives. Western Digital all the way :) ). I didn't lose much except music and some other important files (which I can't even recall what they were), but luckily nothing to do with PSIO was lost because I always keep work like that backed-up by manually copying the directories to a network drive.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » May 11th, 2017, 7:00 am

Mobile version supports a custom container format which allows you to have
virtually unlimited number of saves on a single memory card image.

Desktop version is using old ps1 memcard class and only supports 15 save blocks like on a real memory card.

So, I decided to port a new card class to desktop version and unify interfaces.
Here's progress so far:

I'm still not happy with the region tags on desktop version. .net drawing classes are plagued with weird issues.
Old detailed view will also be supported for those who don't like the change.

I figured I need to go this way because it would be silly to have a save format which
couldn't be opened by the "same" application on a PC.

@Shadow: lol, I actually have a completely opposite experience,
WD HDDs dying on me while Seagate ones live on...