Force NTSC output mod?

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
answerawake
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Force NTSC output mod?

Post by answerawake » September 9th, 2016, 9:08 am

I am not if this is the right section to ask but is it possible to modify the PSX hardware to force it to output NTSC at all times?

I have a HD Monitor...but my Composite to HDMI adapter only accepts NTSC :roll:

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » September 16th, 2016, 9:30 am

Yeah, there are modchips that handle that automagically. (Well it's more like a tiny board with a crystal on it for timing).
I have the opposite which splits out a PAL60 signal when it detects NTSC - pretty useful. Failing that I guess the opposite of the NPAL convertors might be useful with them being transferable and all?

Edit:
Just noticed today that an XPlorer FX flashed with the V4 rom will let you toggle PAL/NTSC during gameplay.

Chaichana
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Chaichana » November 28th, 2018, 3:06 pm

I have tried this method to use it. Can be used really.

Arnold101
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Arnold101 » December 25th, 2019, 2:32 pm

sicklebrick wrote: September 16th, 2016, 9:30 am Yeah, there are modchips that handle that automagically. (Well it's more like a tiny board with a crystal on it for timing).
I have the opposite which splits out a PAL60 signal when it detects NTSC - pretty useful. Failing that I guess the opposite of the NPAL convertors might be useful with them being transferable and all?

Edit:
Just noticed today that an XPlorer FX flashed with the V4 rom will let you toggle PAL/NTSC during gameplay.
is possible to do that with a regular action replay 128k? wich bios i need to flash?
i'm looking for that function for ages :oops:

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » December 29th, 2019, 11:59 pm

Arnold101 wrote: December 25th, 2019, 2:32 pm
sicklebrick wrote: September 16th, 2016, 9:30 am Yeah, there are modchips that handle that automagically. (Well it's more like a tiny board with a crystal on it for timing).

Edit:
is possible to do that with a regular action replay 128k? wich bios i need to flash?
i'm looking for that function for ages :oops:
Oh man, went down a whole rabbit hole there.
The XPlorer method (while quite stable) was really not all that usable.

Aside from having to mess with the button all the time during gameplay, games very often switch resolutions between menus/gameplay/video - meaning you'd have to toggle it all the time.
I spent a lot of time trying to get this to work nicely in unirom, and that comes with its own set of issues. E.g. PAL has a higher resolution but lower framerate... so going from NTSC to PAL is fine ( lowest framerate, lowest res), going the other way can be a bit crashy as it's attempting 60hz at the higher framerate. That's if it doesn't make the game all kinds of crashy, and mess with menu layouts.

In short, your best options are:
-patch the game ISO to switch output
-get a tv that handles both ( mine says it does but does a crap job )
-just get an NPAL converter or equivalent
-emulate

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » December 31st, 2019, 1:41 am

Long story short: Don't attempt to force the PSX system into a single mode all the time. It is too complicated to do reliably.

Instead, upgrade your HDMI adapter solution.