SIOCONS compatible USB Cable

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
Punch
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Punch » July 14th, 2022, 12:16 pm

Hey, I got one of those ultra common FTDI breakout boards for the FT232RL and of course it came with a fake chip. I found it easier, in my local context, to reuse the breakout board and install a legitimate FTDI FT232RL, and it seems to have worked pretty well as it committed the input inversion config to the chip.

The differences between the real and fake ICs are quite obvious side by side, you can see the embossing on the writing of the package and it's not hard to read at all unlike painted over fake ICs.

EDIT: Yep, it's good! I desoldered the headers and used all pins (except 3.3v) on the smaller side of the breakout board to make it a clean job for most wires. It's working great, now I just need to actually setup a toolchain to make games :lol:

masterg0r0
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Modder and Hobbyist Developer
Motto: Everything is hackable 100%!
PlayStation Model: 1002+7502

Post by masterg0r0 » November 24th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Here's a more up-to-date guide: https://unirom.github.io/serial_psx_cable/

masterg0r0
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Modder and Hobbyist Developer
Motto: Everything is hackable 100%!
PlayStation Model: 1002+7502

Post by masterg0r0 » November 24th, 2022, 2:05 pm

If you want to install your SIO adapter internally without replacing the SIO connector or soldering over the pins, then here's an alternative installation diagram that I have created to solder to the alternative pads instead. This is one for a SCPH-750X because that's the only PS1 I have on me atm, but do keep in mind that the pinouts may differ depending on the motherboard, so do check the proper connections first with a multimeter before proceeding.

gwald
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » December 28th, 2022, 10:53 pm

Punch wrote: July 14th, 2022, 12:16 pm Hey, I got one of those ultra common FTDI breakout boards for the FT232RL and of course it came with a fake chip. I found it easier, in my local context, to reuse the breakout board and install a legitimate FTDI FT232RL, and it seems to have worked pretty well as it committed the input inversion config to the chip.
You replaced the actual chip? wow impressive!

@brill shared the way he made the fake FTDI work with the Net Yaroze handshaking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Punch
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Punch » May 14th, 2023, 7:56 am

gwald wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:53 pm
Punch wrote: July 14th, 2022, 12:16 pm Hey, I got one of those ultra common FTDI breakout boards for the FT232RL and of course it came with a fake chip. I found it easier, in my local context, to reuse the breakout board and install a legitimate FTDI FT232RL, and it seems to have worked pretty well as it committed the input inversion config to the chip.
You replaced the actual chip? wow impressive!

@brill shared the way he made the fake FTDI work with the Net Yaroze handshaking.
It's not hard at all, you just have to buy a "chip quik" low melting point solder. It's a special alloy that stays liquified for a longer period of time, which is perfect for removing these small surface mount ICs. For me it was easier to do it because I could find a legitimate FTDI FT232RL but not a pcb for it. Certainly seems easier than having to wire a 74LS to it :)

Shamefully enough I haven't done anything with the cable aside from loading some demos off the PC. :shrug