Ninja game status (1)

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
Wituz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer, mainly

Ninja game status (1)

Post by Wituz » July 22nd, 2016, 4:19 am

Hello again. Working on a Ninja/fighting game for PS1.

Just finished the design! The only thing that needs to be finished design-wise are the levels, but I would rather do the levels along the way. Everything else (movement, menus, characters) are done.

So now when the design is done, it is time to draw. Decided that the style of the game should be pixel art with a lot of dithering, to give it a retro-feel. The game is in 2D, and there are 8 characters, 4 of them unlockable. You play as material art movie stars such as Jackie Chan or Donnie Yen.

In each level, you can collect three different gems. The first gem is a fighting gem, where the player(s) has to fight enemies in order to win. The second gem is a cooperation gem, where you have to be two or more players to start the level. You would have to have four controllers in order to beat the game 100%. The third gem will remain secret so far.
The game features two different modes, "Battle" and "Adventure".

Currently practicing pixel art skills, looking a lot foward to begin programming. I've done a few C tutorials to get up to date with C. Haven't really used the programming language before, but I know most of the common languages, so I guess a bit of research should get me going. I'm afraid of the memory, but I'll challenge that part later on.

Everything is awesome. How are your games doing?
- Wituz
Creativity is the only true source to innovation. Praise yourself.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » July 22nd, 2016, 2:58 pm

Hi Hi :)
sounds good!
yes, don't over estimate the hardware RAM/GPU/CPU!
Start coding ASAP if you don't know C or the hardware, before designing or art, IMO anyway.
And just keep iterating :mrgreen: little steps forwards.. maybe a few back and forward again :roll:
But always getting better.

Mine's slowing coming along... it's hard for me too, had to re-learn 3D, C, GCC, make, bits and bytes, and PSXDEV from 16years ago, but still fun to do :dance and cool as :naughty 8-)

I got back into PSXDEV, start of 2016, and i'm better now then what I was back in 1999-2001, I guess it comes with age :crying

Wituz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer, mainly

Post by Wituz » July 22nd, 2016, 7:53 pm

gwald wrote:Hi Hi :)
sounds good!
yes, don't over estimate the hardware RAM/GPU/CPU!
Start coding ASAP if you don't know C or the hardware, before designing or art, IMO anyway.
And just keep iterating :mrgreen: little steps forwards.. maybe a few back and forward again :roll:
But always getting better.

Mine's slowing coming along... it's hard for me too, had to re-learn 3D, C, GCC, make, bits and bytes, and PSXDEV from 16years ago, but still fun to do :dance and cool as :naughty 8-)

I got back into PSXDEV, start of 2016, and i'm better now then what I was back in 1999-2001, I guess it comes with age :crying
3D! - Luckily sticking with 2D, at least for a while. What kind of a game are you making?
Creativity is the only true source to innovation. Praise yourself.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » July 22nd, 2016, 9:12 pm