Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

PSXDEV Competiton #02 - Codeblast 2013

Post by Shadow » November 29th, 2012, 10:39 pm

PlayStation 1 Programming Competition #02

THE DEADLINE FOR ALL ENTRIES IS JUNE 1ST 2013
* 6-Month Competition beginning December 1st 2012 *

It is time to announce the second PlayStation 1 Programming Competition for PSXDEV.
This competition will run for 6 months, with amazing prizes to be won upon the deadline (seen below).
Make sure that you follow the rules mentioned below, and most importantly...
...make sure that you have a 'blast', enjoy yourself, and have fun! :)

What do I do?
Your task is simple. Make a game for the PlayStation 1.
You have 6 months to do it in, so there is plenty of time.

You may use the Net Yaroze SDK, PSY-Q SDK, or any other libraries you wish.
There are no limitations to what your mind can create!

The scoring system is based on a point calculator, as well as manual votes.
The more points and votes you score, the higher your game will be rated which will place you first.

Rules / Terms and Conditions

Make sure you read these conditions and understand them correctly.
Should you fail to comply, you will be disqualified.

- You can not use an existing game you have been working on.
- Work logs are allowed (IE: start a topic and use it to show the progression throughout your games development).
- You must sign up for the competition by posting a reply below stating that you are participating.
- The program (game) must be able to run on real hardware, or in an emulator without freezing/crashing.
- It must show the text "PSXDEV Codeblast 2013" some point in your game (menu, credits, image, etc).
- Teams are allowed, but it is up to you to figure out how the prizes are distributed.
- Only one entry per user is allowed. Multiple entries are not allowed.
- IP addresses will be checked for vote account spamming.
- The winners must pay the postage fees for the items that they have won.
- All entries must be clean and safe. No immature content will be allowed.
- You must be a registered member to vote.
- You will be asked if you would like to share your source code publicly on PSXDEV.
It is your decision should you want to share the source code or not.

How to Enter
- Post your created game under the Competition #02 thread with the topic name, "Competition #02 - <game title>".
- You must also start a vote (poll) with two voting options which are called 'VOTE' and '-'. Set the option as hidden vote names and only vote once!
- Follow this layout here as an example if you are confused on what to do.

Scoring System
Peripheral support:
- Control Pad (Analog) controller (2 points)
- DUALSHOCK controller with vibration (3 points)
- Memory Card saving and or loading (2.5 points)
- Mouse input support (2 points)
- Light Gun support (3 points)
- Link Cable support (3.5 points)
- Multitap support (2.5 points)

Graphics:
- A screen resolution lower than 320x240 (1.5 points)
- 320x240 screen resolution (2 points)
- A screen resolution greater than 320x240 (2.5 points)
- Clear, sharp, high resolution images (3 points)
- Clear, soft, medium resolution images (2 points)
- Blurry, low resolution images (1 point)
- Sprite display (2 points)
- Screen adjustment control feature (2 points)
- Polygon drawing (3 points)
- 3D scenes (EG: a 3D hexagon spinning on its axis) (3.5 points)
- Real time shading with dynamic lighting (4 points)
- Parallax scrolling (1 point per parallax effect)
- Sprite animation (3 points)
- Full motion video (.STR) (3 points)
- Special effects such as smoke, fire, water, texture mapping (2 points per special effect)

Sound:
- Sound effects with background music playing simultaneously (3 points)
- VAG background music (1.5 points)
- CD-DA background music (2.5 points)
- XA background music (3 points)
- In game live volume control(s) (2 points)

Game play/Miscellaneous:
- Working menu system (2 points)
- Clean and neat code that is well commented (3 points)
- Game is 100% playable with no memory addressing problems and does not crash (1 point)
- Game has a pause feature (1 point)
- Single player support (1 points)
- Multiplayer support (1.5 points)
- Assembly code is used at some point (2 points)
- Multiple .EXE loading (2 points)
- Bootable PlayStation CD-ROM that will work on any PlayStation with a modchip (3 points)
- PAL/NTSC automatic region selection (1 points)
- Save game support (2 points + 2.5 points for Memory Card saving and or loading)
- Artificial intelligence for CPU controlled player(s) or opponent(s) (3 points)
- High sprite count or busy/very active screen(s) with no slow downs in performance (2 points)

Dev Tools:
- A video showing the game made/or running on official Sony development hardware (EG: DTL-H2500) (4 points)

What do I win?
The winner that comes in first place will receive:
- An Xplorer FX (image),
- A 4 MB PlayStation Memory Card (image),
- All entries on a compilation CD-ROM for you to play,
- Your game on a CD-ROM (should it work off of a CD-ROM) with label on the disc and artwork made for the case,
- An original PAL version of V-RALLY (image),
- A mousepad with a PlayStation 1 as the shape and image (image),
- A special one of a kind PSXDEV Codeblast '13 T-Shirt in your size of your choice (image), and,
- A discount of 25% off of PSIO.

The winner that comes in second place will receive:
- A 1 MB Memory Card (image),
- A mousepad with a PlayStation 1 as the shape and image (image),
- Your game on a CD-ROM (should it work off of a CD-ROM) with a label on the disc and artwork made for the case, and,
- A discount of 20% off of PSIO.

The winner that comes in third place will receive:
- Your game on a CD-ROM (should it work off of a CD-ROM) with a label on the disc and artwork made for the case, and
- A discount of 15% off of PSIO.

All other entries that did not place 1st, 2nd or 3rd, will receive a participation prize of:
- All entries on a compilation CD-ROM for you to play.

I need help programming for the PlayStation 1, or I am just simply stuck
If you get stuck or need some help, join our IRC channel on EFnet (irc.eversible.net) #psxdev
You will be able to chat with other members, as well as make new friends who also love the PlayStation 1.
(See here for help on joining or if you don't know what IRC is)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Student

Post by CodeAsm » December 6th, 2012, 8:12 pm

This sounds like fun :D

Also we are on Hack A Day :P
http://hackaday.com/2012/12/05/hackaday ... er-5-2012/
Development Console: SCPH-102, unkown clone Modchip, PAL , FTDI board build into the case (microUSB) for Serial I/O.
Development Computer: GNU/Linux, Arch x86_64 Linux 4.20.3, i7-3632QM [8x3.2GHz], 11,8GiB, 1366x768 GeForce GT 630M (Optimus tech), lots of gig of storage

slobu
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by slobu » December 7th, 2012, 1:11 am

Is it that this announcement is so new or the PSX scene is small?

Also, what's the best resource for PSX Chipmunk BASIC? That seems to be my best chance for entering this contest.

Er, one more question: The prize that entails an actual PSX CD with label. Will this be mastered to run on non-modded consoles?

JohnoUK
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by JohnoUK » December 7th, 2012, 2:12 am

PSX scene seems quite small these days. I might create my own website and do my part for the PSX scene.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 7th, 2012, 12:31 pm

slobu wrote:Is it that this announcement is so new or the PSX scene is small?

Also, what's the best resource for PSX Chipmunk BASIC? That seems to be my best chance for entering this contest.

Er, one more question: The prize that entails an actual PSX CD with label. Will this be mastered to run on non-modded consoles?
The PSX scene is very small. Thats why I made this website. I was sick and tired of all the other websites that were poorly maintained, had dead links everywhere, and had information missing.

The main goal here was to try and get old members from the old scene, as well as new members back making things for the PlayStation 1 and be the home of PlayStation 1 development resources and information that will be up 24/7.

Don't use Chipmunk BASIC. Use PSY-Q :P
It's the full Sony SDK that the professionals used. It was leaked many years ago.
Another option is to use the Net Yaroze SDK. However, this is just a cut-down version of PSY-Q with annoying limitations in use. Sony does not care about PSY-Q. The PlayStation 1 is 'obsolete' to them and they simply just ignore the console all together. It is making them no money. It's a good thing for us, as we now may learn from it.

JohnoUK wrote:PSX scene seems quite small these days. I might create my own website and do my part for the PSX scene.
Feel free to make another website. In all honesty though, It wont help a single bit.
I added the homebrew section here with a member area for FTP uploading so we host your game for you.
We are already high on the Google search index list too.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

JohnoUK
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by JohnoUK » December 8th, 2012, 12:56 am

PSXDEV wrote:
JohnoUK wrote:PSX scene seems quite small these days. I might create my own website and do my part for the PSX scene.
Feel free to make another website. In all honesty though, It wont help a single bit.
I added the homebrew section here with a member area for FTP uploading so we host your game for you.
We are already high on the Google search index list too.
You mistake my intent, I wouldn't be trying to compete with this site. I'd more than likely be talking about the games, and what I liked about them - a place that promotes people to talk about their PSX gaming experiences. There are very few dedicated PSX sites about these days.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 8th, 2012, 1:09 am

Ah, my mistake. It seems as if a little communication mix up took place :?
Anyway, I don't know if it would pick up as the PSX gaming days are over :(

JohnoUK
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by JohnoUK » December 8th, 2012, 1:33 am

Shadow wrote:Ah, my mistake. It seems as if a little communication mix up took place :?
Anyway, I don't know if it would pick up as the PSX gaming days are over :(
You never know. There must be other people out there like us, but they just haven't found websites like this.

aladds
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by aladds » December 8th, 2012, 2:16 am

JohnoUK wrote:You never know. There must be other people out there like us, but they just haven't found websites like this.
Thanks to Hackaday I have now :) I'm sure others will follow.

Downloaded PSY-Q already and getting to grips with it. This looks like fun!

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 8th, 2012, 3:12 am

Awesome. Just, awesome :)

Oh, and the CD-ROM prize is just your game burned to a normal CD-R.
You will still need a modchip to play it.

I will update the prize list soon so that EVERY entry gets a compilation disc (all entries burned and selectable via a menu). Therefor, everyone is a winner :)
If this becomes really popular, I will make the prizes development kit items for the next competition, such as a DTL-H2500 card, or PSX Debugger.

shockdesign
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by shockdesign » December 12th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks to HackADay too, I'm gonna enter the comp. It's been a while, the last console I wrote any code for was the N64.. so gonna whip up a game. Looks good *looks at his trusty PS1 with modchip*..

I'll let you know how my progress is, and yes, just downloaded Psy-Q.. :)

CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by CosmoGuy » December 16th, 2012, 4:23 am

Awesome :)

Can i be in that? ^^ Would be soooo cool :D

xdaniel
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by xdaniel » December 18th, 2012, 12:35 am

Hm, I might enter, but I have two short questions:

1) Regarding the rule "You can not use an existing game you have been working on.": Can I reuse code I've already written, like helper functions for graphics, text display and such?

2) Is the game required to have sound, or does no sound simply mean no points for any of the sound-related goals? Because I cannot compose at all and I'm not sure about using PD music or something.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 18th, 2012, 12:51 pm

1) You can re-use code already written. You just can't enter a game you have been working on before the competition was started (not that we would know anyway).

2) Music/sound is not required but you will not get any points. See here if you want to play a simple loop of music.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » April 26th, 2013, 7:59 am

i could only offer my in development progress PC game. No time to port it for ps1 :(
maybe i'm within the next Compo.

bizarro2011
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by bizarro2011 » April 26th, 2013, 11:52 pm

(rewrite)arkanoid for ps1 under construction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TngcYtuWwzA
Last edited by bizarro2011 on April 29th, 2013, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » April 27th, 2013, 4:55 am

nice work in progress. we made something familiar in the past: a playable Ping Pong Cracktro : looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDrRnJOCKZc

bizarro2011
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by bizarro2011 » May 17th, 2013, 11:06 pm

characters and objects come here to make a sonic game (sprite already done)
I'll try to do.

http://dioxaz.free.fr/objets.htm

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 30th, 2013, 4:28 pm

[blink]2 days left until competition #02 ends![/blink]
:no!

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm

[blink]Competition #02 ended[/blink]
Click here to see the winner