CDDA tracks

General PSX CD Troubleshooting, PSX CD-ROM Mastering and Disc Creation
mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

CDDA tracks

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 25th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Hi all. Noticed the 'CDDA' tutorial on the psxdev help page is 'COMING SOON' so I hope I can find some assistance here.

Straight to the point, I want to play the original Tomb Raider with a remastered audio package made by a fan. I do not want to play the PC version with it, I'd much rather reburn a PSX image as it's always way more fun having a challenge.

Methods I've tried

-using UltraISO to delete the tracks I don't want in the image (it's a mixed mode CD image) and then put in the new ones I want. Save the file and boot in ePSXe. Loads fine to the title screen and Lara is talking instead of the title theme! I reopen the image in UltraISO and the tracks I added do not have an 'LBA' value. Also, the alphabetical ordering and title of the tracks have changed and I have no idea why. (I hope that makes sense. For example on the original image, Track02.wav is the main menu theme. On my edited image, Track02.wav has become Lara talking, even though when I added the lara talking track, it would have been Track30.wav or something. Almost like UltraISO shuffled the tracks and then renamed them alphabetically

-PSx CD Gen. Can't seem to add CDDA tracks unless I'm missing something completely.

Really come to a dead end here. I freaking LOVE the Tomb Raider series but damn, the audio system has always gotten me in trouble! (this situation, getting it working on ePSXe years ago etc etc)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 26th, 2014, 11:37 am

You will have to make your own CTI sheet and use BUILDCD.EXE and STRIPISO.EXE.
To remaster the Net Yaroze Boot Disc with the crack took me about an hour (the CTI sheet had 1083 lines).
I will make a tutorial soon, but I'm very busy at the moment. For now, follow the XA tutorial. It's extremely similar.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » January 26th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Try doing this:
1. Rip the disc as a bin/cue image using Imgburn with all tracks stored in separate files.
2. Convert your custom tracks into 16-bit stereo wav files with no track information.
3. Name the wav files as Track 02.wav, Track 03.wav, and so forth.
3. Add 2 seconds of nothing into all of the wav files except the first one.
4. Open the cue sheet file with Notepad and rewrite the contents into this:

Code: Select all

FILE "Tomb Raider.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "Track 02.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE "Track 03.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "Track 04.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
(...and so forth)
5. Open the cue sheet using ImgBurn and burn it into a rewritable CD.
6. Test the tracks using Windows Media Player or any media player that can play CD audio tracks.
7. If the tracks play correctly, rip the disc using ImgBurn again but with all tracks stored in a single bin file.
8. Test the image on an emulator.

If the tracks won't play properly in the game, try writing the cue sheet like this:

Code: Select all

FILE "Tomb Raider.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
FILE "Track 02.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
FILE "Track 03.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "Track 04.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
(...and so forth)
If you can't handle dealing with all this trouble, link me to the remastered audio package you've mentioned and I'll try to reconstruct the disc image myself for you.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 26th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Hmm okay so before I take the next hour editing the .cue file with those extra lines :P, Where do I put the wav files in the image? in the root?

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » January 26th, 2014, 3:06 pm

The same folder where you keep the bin/cue files... Just make sure the bin file only has the first (data) track of the disc.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 26th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Almost there! The new image is perfect, the new tracks are in. Once I then rip the image again (into bin/cue) and use the emulator, the image won't boot onto anything :(

If it helps, these are the step I took

-Opened original bin with UltraISO and deleted all the audio tracks, leaving the data side only.
-Edited the CUE as you stated
-You said to use Imgburn but I have no blank CDs so I used Virtual CD 10 to use a 'Virtual Burner' and make a fake disk and mount
-mounted the 'fake disk' and opened with WMP and the tracks play awesomely and in the right order
-Used imgburn to rip the new bin/cue from the virtual drive.
-forever a black screen in emulator when loading

OK UPDATE:
So i thought maybe it was the initial UltraISO edit that may have corrupted the PSX data making it unable to boot so I tried this instead

-Used PSX CD Gen to create a new fresh image without the wav files (copied all the Data from the TR disk into the root and changed the label to TOMBRAIDER and saved as a new BIN file.
-Copied the new cue data I made earlier into this new cue file.
-Proceeded as steps previously but this time, the game boots fine but the opening FMV has no music and once the title screen loads, ePSXe freezes and crashes to desktop. I loaded my previous gamestate which worked and you can hear ingame SFX but once I open the inventory or step on any audio triggers, the game crashes.

Something tells me this is because of the need to remove the original audio tracks before I burn the new cue? If I use UltraISO to delete the audio, the image won't boot. If I recompile the image from scratch, it boots but the game crashes on audio triggering. hmm

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » January 27th, 2014, 10:06 am

I think its better off that I try to do the track swap myself to save yourself from a lot of trouble... Just give me the link to the fan-made remastered tracks and I'll do the rest.

mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 27th, 2014, 11:32 am

Mmm alright. But could you jot down if you do anything different? I'd really like to learn to do it myself as I'd eventually like to do it for the JP version, and then both the EN and JP versions of TR2. I've uploaded a zip of the renamed tracks (in MP3 to save space, if you don't mind batch converting to wav yourself) and the cue sheet I edited to save you some time :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57ru1bdto6516 ... STERED.zip

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » January 28th, 2014, 10:04 pm

I now have managed to reconstruct the disc image to have the remastered tracks and have yet to test it. But, can you please link me to the source where you got those remastered tracks? The ones you've given to me will do but for optimal audio quality, I'm going to need the unaltered mp3s of the tracks.

mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 28th, 2014, 10:14 pm

well if youre wiling to rename and add the 2secs to match the original tr1 tracks...

http://www.tombraiderhub.com/trst/tr1/tr1_glid_man.zip

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » January 30th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Done! :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b3559 ... BRDR-RM.7z

Once downloaded, you're going to need the ECM Tools to unecm the bin file which is done by dragging the ecm file over the unecm program... I did this to reduce the archive size as much as possible. Once the bin file has been unecm'ed, burn the cue file onto CD using ImgBurn at the lowest write speed possible or play it on an emulator and have fun!

The process however, is pretty complicated and requires some good experience with cue sheets. I first have to 'trim' the audio tracks out of the bin file using jpsxdec to locate the last file's end sector and made a tiny program to trim the audio tracks out leaving only the data track. After that, I rewrote the cue sheet to use the wav files of the remade tracks and then burnt the whole thing onto a rewritable for testing on a mod-chipped PS2. When the game kept crashing, I rewrote the cue sheet again to have an Index 0 entry on tracks 3 and up. Once the game is working properly, I re-ripped the rewritable to 'bake' the custom tracks into a single bin file for compatibility with emulators and convenience.

mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 30th, 2014, 10:11 pm

You're fantastic! Downloading now.

Want to do it for TR2 aswell? :P Wonder if I could do it for TR3 but mind you, that runs via XA audio

mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 30th, 2014, 10:58 pm

hmm okay.

I loaded your image to get a .cue error at like 169. Opened in notepad++ and that line is Track 57.

I then just off a whim, opened the image in CDmage and resaved as a new titled file. The game boots to the title screen, plays the title audio BUT once I load any level with audio triggers, the game crashes when it's triggered (as per attached image)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » January 31st, 2014, 12:19 am

That looks like it has something to do with the emulator... Have you tried using ePSXe or pSX?

mizuno_suisei
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mizuno_suisei » January 31st, 2014, 1:33 am

works in psxfin hmm must be an epsxe issue. maybe ill burn to a cd and see if it works. tried mounting on a virtual drive but get the same error

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » January 31st, 2014, 12:55 pm

I got another serious problem with this. When playing the game on a real PSX, it crashes on the first loading screen for some reason... I'll try to find a way to fix it later once I restock some CD-Rs (which are becoming rare in my place these days).