Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

My attempt of mastering PS1 discs without a mastering drive

Post by LameGuy64 » April 16th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Last year, I tried many attempts of getting Spyro 3 to work on a real console as it hates mod-chips, hacks, and disc-swapping to prevent people from pirating the game. What I needed to do is to try to burn a copy of the game that boots on a PlayStation without a mod-chip. However, I was never able to get a single disc to boot on a unmodded system but my attempts would probably expand the concept of being able to master discs that boot on a regular, unmodified PlayStation without the need of a super-rare mastering drive.

The only thing you need to do to get a disc to boot on a unmodded PlayStation is to make sectors 12 to 15 have an invalid, zeroised, EDC/ECC checksum. I've made a simple program that does this and Alcohol 120% is capable of reading and burning the invalid checksums to and from the disc. Despite this, the disc is unbootable. I think this only works on SCPH-5000 and earlier units as Sony attuned the CD drive to boot only from black or dark-blue tinted discs in SCPH-5001 and later units. I cannot confirm this because there are no black or dark-blue tinted CDs available anymore in my country which is stupid and the earliest PlayStation model I have is a SCPH-7000.

Can anyone confirm this? I still have the Alcohol 120% image of Spyro 3 with the invalid EDC/ECC checksums or I could write a simple tool that primes the sectors if anyone wants to try.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Motto: /\OX[]
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by t0rxe » April 16th, 2013, 9:56 pm

You don't need a Sony mastering burner to master a PSX CD-ROM. I know how to master a PSX disc correctly, and if you need help, let me know because I have been meaning to make a detailed tutorial.

By sectors 12 to 15, I assume you mean the license screen data, in which is actually in the first 16 sectors. For the copy protection, that's a different story.

The blue tinted discs that licensed PlayStation 1 games use are no different from normal CD-ROM's. There is nothing special about them at all. Sony used this technique as a visual aid to detect pirated discs.

The correct way to enable Spyro to boot is to use a stealth modchip, or reverse the PS-EXE code and remove and or loop the code that detects the injection.
"Nostalgia isn't a big enough word to describe the PlayStation from my eyes"

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » April 16th, 2013, 11:17 pm

I know how to master discs myself actually but what I'm trying to say is that is it possible to burn a PSX ISO that actually boots on a unmodded system.

From what I've read in Wikipedia and some other websites, the invalid EDC/ECC checksums in sectors 12 to 15 is what makes the Playstation detect if the inserted disc is a legal or pirated as most CD drives cannot write the invalid checksums properly. I was able to write the invalid checksums properly but the disc still won't boot whatsoever. Maybe there's something to do with putting garbage to the data parts of the sector so it'll be a true invalid checksum.

Also, I have no idea what a stealth mod-chip is. The mod-chips that came with my PlayStations is just a PIC chip soldered to specific parts of the board. And by the way, hacking Spyro 3's PS-EXE code will cause the game to go limbo intentionally as you play. No one has successfully cracked it properly though.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by t0rxe » April 17th, 2013, 12:40 am

I sincerely doubt you have managed to master a PlayStation 1 CD-ROM with the license string after or before the pre-groove. Don't rely on Wikipedia for learning this stuff.

A stealth chip turns itself off once it has injected the license data, thus making it invisible to find. Add one of those in, and Spyro 3 will boot. It is possible to hack the PS-EXE, but it is a seriously hard method, especially if they are using a CRC on the PS-EXE. Nothing is impossible though.

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: IT Consultant, Systems Integrator
PlayStation Model: 7501

Post by Gradius » April 17th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Blue CDs? To me they always were BLACK CDs.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by t0rxe » April 17th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Hold one under a strong light, and you will see that they are blue/purple. They appear to be black because no night gets through and it is a deep coloured blue/purple. They are known in the scene as 'black labeled' though.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » April 17th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Original PS1 Sectors are out of Range for End Users HOME-Burner and can't be copied.

did you ever heard about Libcrypt PROTECTION? You will never get your Copy up and running. There are many CRC Checks stored somewhere in the games EXE File and the Game would freeze sooner or later. Swapping a original Disc with a Copy worked in the very Beginning of PS1 Games Disc Copying.

That' s why we always deprotected Games from LibFuck in the Past.
~ Medievil
~ Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain
~ V Rally 2
~ Spyro
and many many more.

Read LibFAQ ! i can provide :D

cheers
Last edited by inc^lightforce on April 17th, 2013, 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » April 17th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Not really :D we managed this ages ago.
torxe wrote: but it is a seriously hard method, especially if they are using a CRC on the PS-EXE.
Me / we - made some Patches in 1999 - 2001 and also deprotected LC2 Games
Last edited by inc^lightforce on April 17th, 2013, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by t0rxe » April 17th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Paradox did a few (you), and so did the B.A.D team.
Legends never die...

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » April 17th, 2013, 1:35 pm

i can't agree. we managed PAL and US version of SPYRO THE DRAGON 3.
If you need the LC Patch i can store it somewhere for ya. But it only work with a MOD Chipe'd PSX.
LameGuy64 wrote:... hacking Spyro 3's PS-EXE code will cause the game to go limbo intentionally as you play. No one has successfully cracked it properly though.
Last edited by inc^lightforce on April 18th, 2013, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » April 17th, 2013, 9:58 pm

inc^lightforce wrote:i can't agree more. we managed PAL and US version of SPYRO THE DRAGON 3.
If you need the LC Patch i can store it somewhere for ya. But it only work with a MOD Chipe'd PSX.
Did you actually managed to hack Spyro 3's PS-EXE without making the game go limbo? It goes limbo when you gathered enough friends to be able to ride a balloon but you can't ride it as the game tells you that you don't have enough friends gathered up but you've actually gathered enough. However, this never happens when the game is legit.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » April 18th, 2013, 1:37 am

i never played the whole game "SPYRO 1/2 or 3". No time for it. But it's so indifferent which Game.
We removed the LC Protection and made some "Gameplay tests" of its stabile running. When there was caused an Error, we fixed it. The Gaming Community gave the feedback very quick.

For instance: Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain. We deprotected the Game. Removed the LC Fuck but we not tested the game long enough. After 15 Minutes of playing the Game, the player reached a Door that never opens. LC flapped back again. This is what i meant in my other Post. LC checks over the whole Game that you have the Original Gamedisc inserted.

can you tell me which PPF you have tested? Maybe it was a false region Patch. Remember: Without Modchip you can't play Copies !

Patch it with the correct "SPYRO 3 LC-Remove PPF" and try it.

When you encounter the limbo again, then give me the ORIGINAL SPYRO 3 GAME EXE, the path to your Region-ISO a Save Gamepoint of your mishmash and i remove the LC Shit for ya. :dance

cheers

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » April 18th, 2013, 10:28 am

The one that had the limbo issue is this cracked version from Paradox (don't mind much about this):

http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstat ... he_Dragon_[NTSC-U]/37595

Where can I find the proper PPF patch to get rid of the stupid LC crap for the NTSC-U version? I know you can't play burned copies without a modchip. I have 5 PlayStations with modchips (one Japan unit only boots Japan region discs).

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » April 18th, 2013, 11:14 am

unfortunately the link is down ? can you tell me please the filesize of your used LC patch. i don't want give you the same crap you already have. i made 2 more Patches in the past.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by t0rxe » April 18th, 2013, 2:27 pm

He cut the URL accidentally... A simple Google search brings up this:

http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstat ... 5-download

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » April 20th, 2013, 3:56 am

thank you. now leeching. i'll check this version. feedback later.

so long...

Here comes a short "PC INTRO" which I have programmed during my help & teaching with a guy from the forum in programming demos and intros on the PS1. :dance

have Fun. Please ignore False Antivir Report.
The EXE is UPX Packed

Download here:
PS1 Qubes // inc 2013

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by t0rxe » April 20th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Amazing demo. Smooth, clean and neat. Not like any demo I've seen before.
I didn't get any virus warnings so I assume it is clean.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » April 21st, 2013, 3:26 am

thats nice. so i think, UPX is no longer blacklisted.

btw: the Demo includes 216 CUBES :o

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » April 21st, 2013, 4:32 pm

inc^lightforce wrote:thats nice. so i think, UPX is no longer blacklisted.

btw: the Demo includes 216 CUBES :o
The demo crashes in my PC... :(

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by inc^lightforce » April 22nd, 2013, 1:33 am

which OS you have installed?
It runs on:
WIN XP / VISTA/ 7/ 32 & 64 BIT.
Not tested with Windows 8
Does not work on Linux.