General PSX CD Troubleshooting, PSX CD-ROM Mastering and Disc Creation
DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Wobbling disk

Post by DD-Indeed » December 6th, 2016, 9:03 pm

I have 9000-series console and couple years back, I bought a new laser unit for it, since the original had finally worn beyond successful disc reading. The new laser unit worked out fine for the first test I did with it and didn't notice any issues.

However, I took the PS1 back up again couple weeks ago and tested some games and lubricated motors with WD-40 and put some white grease for the moving parts. Then, when doing test spinning with opened system, I saw, that the disc wobbled a lot and that sometimes the game's didn't load properly.

Is the disc attachment part faulty and did I use wrong grease ?

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » December 6th, 2016, 9:29 pm

WD40 is fine but ONLY in very small amounts. It isn't really meant for that, but i've been using it for years without issues in old retro cd/dvd drives. The trick is to use only a tiny pinch across the sled rail. So literally just a small pinch between two fingers, than fully cover the rail with only that pinch, spread it evenly. If you lubricated the motor itself with WD-40 you very well may have damaged it. If I'm not mistaken, WD-40 is conductive so getting that inside the electric motor would surely short something out. Might be time to pick up a new laser assembly is that's the case....

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » December 6th, 2016, 9:42 pm

likeabaus wrote:WD40 is fine but ONLY in very small amounts. It isn't really meant for that, but i've been using it for years without issues in old retro cd/dvd drives. The trick is to use only a tiny pinch across the sled rail. So literally just a small pinch between two fingers, than fully cover the rail with only that pinch, spread it evenly. If you lubricated the motor itself with WD-40 you very well may have damaged it. If I'm not mistaken, WD-40 is conductive so getting that inside the electric motor would surely short something out. Might be time to pick up a new laser assembly is that's the case....
Well I used this thick while paste-like grease (that is designed to be used on heavy electronic stuff) for the sled and gear parts and WD-40 to the motors only. But what I've had experience, WD-40 doesn't cause any shortings to electronics, at least on car stuff, like plugs for sensors, etc, etc.

I could just run the machine for couple hours, to ''wipe off'' any extra, unnecessary grease from the motors. Afterall, even WD-40 dry out after some time, like all of those canned liquid greases.

I've managed to make the machine read the disc again my gently tapping the machine from the sides of it, to kinda like ''nudge'' the sled a bit.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » December 8th, 2016, 3:35 am

Update:

I took the reader apart and cleaned the parts with turpentine, since it's oil based mild cleaning product, that does not harm plastic parts. I discovered, that the reader is bad quality one, the CD spindle plate was not straight and the gears were not either on the laser moving unit. I had put too much of grease into everywhere in the gears and to much WD-40 to the engines. Everything looked allright, put it back, but the disc spin motor had died, it starts to read the disc, but after couple seconds, it stops.

So, lesson learned: do not put WD-40 into the motors or anywhere near of that sort of electronics. I now need to order new reader and no to do anything to it, until it starts to have issues.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » December 8th, 2016, 11:11 am

Ya you should never put wd40 inside the electric motors. I guarantee that's what killed it. In fact, I would leave the motors themsekves alone and just put lube on just the sled rail and maybe the gears, bur nothing else. As for the poor quality assembly ya that can happen when buying knockoffs from china XD. Not like sony makes 'em anymore so its either a knockoff or a refurb, take your pick lol

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 8th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.