Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

no$psx emulator for psxdev - feature request

Post by gwald » January 21st, 2016, 12:30 am

@nocash
I recently found your emulator and was very impressed with it's TTY out and VRAM display.
I know it's geared to your Xboo port and assembly programming, but just wondering if you would be interested in adding a few features?
I've already donated, because your software is useful to me as is, but I don't mind chipping in more for extra functionality which would really help PSXDEV'ing, and I'm sure others will contribute also.

I don't want to ask for anything complicated, like emulating a port... but basically a feature that loads a script of files to be loaded into your emulator's memory... just like a psxexe/ez/siocons/ect script.

Also, having the ability to insert a cdrom (via an iso, etc) before running the script, would also give us the ability to dev with media, which would also be fantastic.

And lastly, a command line interface to launch the emu with a script, an iso inserted and to show the TTY and the VRAM would just make it excellent.

@nocash, I would be interested to know if you would be interested in adding these features and how money would be needed to make it worth your while? and also the opinions of other devs here.

Shadow, please move if in the wrong forum?
Thanks.
:ugeek:

PS: Example of scripts:
Yaroze:
local dload dinonew.tim 8010a710
local dload castle.tim 8016b3e0
local dload md0.tmd 801b6410
local dload dino.vdf 801d25d0
local load main
Ez:
ez load giuli_bd.tim 80010000
ez load giuli_fr.tim 80020000
ez load giuli_pl.tim 80030000
ez load giuli_tl.tim 80040000
ez load giuli_tr.tim 80050000
ez load giuli_wn.tim 80060000
ez load wheel256.tim 80070000
ez load giulieta.tmd 80080000
ez run main.exe

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 22nd, 2016, 6:25 am

Uh, adding a script function wouldn't be my favorite project. Aside from extra work on my side, I don't see what it would be good for. I think you could as well make some script that stores the desired files in a CDROM image. Since you can't load much more than 2Mbytes into PSX memory, you would only need to manipulate a small 2Mbyte sector of the CDROM image, which shouldn't be any problem (unless you use some very-very old computer for creating the cdrom image).

For loading the data from CDROM into PSX memory: That would in fact suffer from the usual loading speed. But there's some "Turbo" option in no$psx, see http://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm#exp ... nexpansion for details. Not 100% sure if that option is really working, but the idea has been that your game could notify the emulator that it should load cdrom sectors as fast as possible so your game could boot up ways faster as on real hardware. Of course, you should keep real loading speed in mind when developing games, but the faster-than-real option may be useful for testing.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » May 1st, 2016, 7:57 pm

Hey thanks for the reply!
No problem, your right many ways around it anyway.. cdrom image, binary2code and the tool I hacked up for the yaroze.
Cheers