CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Real PSX and plugging into network?

Post by CosmoGuy » June 14th, 2012, 6:55 am

Hi

Another idea. If all psio is based on FPGA controller, why not make a simple network microcontroller too (something on ATMega?) and write a simple clinet to seti it up and run? It would emulate second pad for example and games such 2 players and multitap ones could be awesome to play. Of course there is no any thinking about chat-in-game or something like that.
But it could be fun i think ;).

It could work just like that:
-after start of the program that handles small networking hardware the 2 port of joypad input will be blocked
-client is starting. All internet things are going into setup routing IP etc... (i dont know much about this)
-Program wants to insert the disc and we can go into "room".
-Create, wait, play
-here is the point that if any player will unconnect/power off the console that mean offline game ofc and unblock the 2 port

Simple like kaillera but in normal console and self-sufficient. I know that there is no special need for it but imagine psx with network support! :D
It would be just PSX v1.5 haha :D a modded version.

Would it be possible or is this just stupid dream ? We all know that there's only 33 MHz and 2MBs of RAM :/.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 14th, 2012, 2:04 pm

It is possible. It becomes more complex than that, but that is the basic idea behind it.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Dark-Show
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Dark-Show » January 18th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I looked into this, but its way more complicated, specially with games that aren't statically based. So ram would need to be synced between consoles and way more things that make it mostly impossible, on the majority of titles.