PSX boot sound, and screens

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
quille
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

PSX boot sound, and screens

Post by quille » October 13th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Hi,

I hope this is right topic to ask question...
I would like to use original boot sound/music from psx (sony white screen) and sound/music when CD loading starts (playstation logo licence black screen) in some kind of intro/demo on Amiga. This is main reason for my registration here... Site is really great :D

So far I have managed to extract VAB from bios rom containing sounds from white sony boot screen and possibly cd licence boot screen how ever I'm still missing notes played or SEQ (if it even exists).

Any information about notes or SEQ played during boot woul be great. Also newer version of bios rom don't have VAB so this leads me to believe that there is different format for samples (VAB) and notes (SEQ) inside rom bios.

I'v been trying to find code or someting similar using debuger in http://problemkaputt.de/psx.htm no$psx emulator without any success (I'dont really know mips assembler).

Thank you for any information and have great day!

Quille

isufje
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by isufje » October 16th, 2015, 3:21 pm

I doubt there is a SEQ. I think it's just a vab containing the sound you here... But Can you upload the vab. I would like to use it as well.

Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 16th, 2015, 4:39 pm

These are the ones I pulled out ages ago. There is probably not an SEQ, but some sort of custom timing routine they came up with that breaks up the sounds and loops them perfectly with special effects in place to give it that 'smooth' transition and smooth looped effect when it re-trails on itself.

Oh, you need to put these into VAB tool and find the right notes.
I did find them myself, but I didn't write them down.
If you need me to, I can do it as I do remember where the correct notes are in VAB tool.
I've heard that BIOS sound too many times :P
BIOS.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

quille
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by quille » October 16th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Hi!

Thanks for replays, so first things first :) I have attached bios VAB.
Shadow if you know notes that would be great, or if you know address of timing routine that plays notes this is also great.

I have read more docs from no$psx (great emulator and nice docs) and author says that boot routine is copied/decompressed to ram and than executed, I have made ram snapshot hoping that I can try find seq that is possibly compressed in bios but there is none as Shadow suggested it is something custom because BIOS doesn't probably have SEQ player at least I haven't found any mention of it in no$psx documented bio calls.

Boot sound it self is pretty complex it uses 21 voice with 4 voices starting and others adding to it ...

I'm currently working on javascript webaudio WEB/SEQ simple player and possibly converter to mod format.

General idea for demo (on Amiga) is to recreate original PSX boot sequence and T-Rex demo, so far I'm just making javascript prototypes before I start asm coding on Amiga.

So far I have managed to make javascript/threejs/webgl TMD viewer and TIM texture loader.
Here is source with examples.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/738 ... Viewer.zip

To run it you need to put TMDViewer folder on some web server to be able to load models. There are two html pages:
TMDViewer.html - You can see TMD models including textures provided in TIM format.
I didn't have enough models to be able to implement all features e.g. TIM loader only loads 8 bit textures because I don't have other formats. TMD loads only primitive types I had examples to test.

TRex.html - T-Rex from sony demo disk animated using morph targets that I managed to extract from exe.
I still need to fix walk animation but you can play with it.

Probably if there is enough interest I could make this open source on github for others to contribute to ti.

Quille
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.