Protecting the PS1 from Power Surges/Spikes

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
Sirrico
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Protecting the PS1 from Power Surges/Spikes

Post by Sirrico » December 1st, 2014, 2:20 am

Hello all, I recently got slightly worried during a thunderstorm that my sensitive electronics might be rendered useless by a nearby lightning strike. From my experiences, power surges and spikes can happen at any time of the day, regardless of weather conditions. For example, my last computer's power supply popped and exploded suddenly one day (I expect from dirty power) for no foreseeable reason.

So, I propose we make this topic about Playstations, and how you protect (or don't protect) them from power problems. Is this even a problem in other countries? Has anyone ever broken a playstation because of a power surge?What kind of protection do you have? Etc...

I have various Playstations plugged in at all times. Two PS1s, and a PS2. I have them on power strips and have not had a power surge since I became interested in Playstations.
-Sirrico

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » December 1st, 2014, 2:45 am

I use an APC e10 SurgeArrest since quite some years to protect my PC from that kind of stuff:
Definitely a life saver :)
Not quite sure if that's still on the market, but googling "powerstrip with surge protector" might help you finding what you need.
Anyway I've never had any surge problems with consoles (despite not using any surge protectors with them), although would be a good idea to protect them as well I guess

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 1st, 2014, 6:18 pm

I have had a lightening storm for the past 4 days, and the only thing that has fried for me is our DSL and phone lines. Today actually, a lightning strike happened across the road from me (poor tree) and we lost power, but nothing fried. I do have two surge protectors inline, but I have heard that most surge protectors do not work well. This is because each manufacturer will design them differently, and so, the protection varies. You really want one with a low response time. The best thing to do is unplug them if you're that skeptical because there will always be slight leakage current. Just my two cents I guess :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.