Advancing the PSone

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
Dark-Show
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Advancing the PSone

Post by Dark-Show » May 3rd, 2012, 2:51 am

What is the cause of the PSones short comings? I'm thinking Ram and Clockspeed.
Would it not be possible to develope a peice of hardware that adds extra ram and does a software controllable overclock to the system though say a port probe. So devs can activate the new hardware in the software they write and have access to higher system speeds so process information quicker providing better use for the new hardware. Then we could possibly have MP3 players DIVX players, better and more stable emulators.

Or is this just an uneducated dream?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 3rd, 2012, 4:59 am

It is possible to add more RAM, but there is no point. What game uses more than the default 2 MB?
Sure, you could make a custom game that use more than 2 MB, but it would only work on systems with the added RAM.
The development kit has 8 MB, so it is possible. However, this was only used for debugging purposes.

If you were to overclock the CPU, it would probably cause instability as well as more heat. Something that the chip was never intended for.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Dark-Show
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Dark-Show » May 3rd, 2012, 7:06 am

I know what you mean about all current games but im reading about people making addons just to emulate other systems why not just add to the current system than adding more cpus. And their have been stable overclocks achived even if you need a heatsync the added capabilities would be worth it heh. And i know this would be a qliche market but it sounds fun to me heh. Mp3 playing ps1 would be amazing and with project psio it could open the grounds up more emulators so much more.