Calling all PSX Hardware Documentation.....

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
LosTZealoT
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Calling all PSX Hardware Documentation.....

Post by LosTZealoT » September 9th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Hello,

I am a student at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. I found this website when doing research for my final digital design project course (see http://www.ece545.com/). This course asks student teams to build some large digital system over the course of a semester and our team decided to attempt to recreate the original Playstation (PSX) on a Xilinx Virtex-7 FPGA. As seen by the other projects from past semesters on the website, this challenge is like others done of this course (though a bit more ambitious).

Your website has a good number of resources and documentation on the technical details behind how the PSX works, but we are looking for more (any timing diagrams, bus protocol information or whatever) to help us better recreate the hardware of the PSX in Verilog. "Everything You Have Always Wanted to Know about the Playstation But Were Afraid to Ask" has been a great resource but we still need to fill in some gaps.

Any and all info would help

Thanks!

AmiDog
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by AmiDog » September 9th, 2013, 11:40 pm

I would recommend having a look at martin korth's programming specs document. Find latest version here. It's much more accurate and contain more details than the "Everything ..." document.

Over at my PSX experiments site you can find some software to verify the accuracy of certain aspects of the emulation once you get that far.

LostTemplar
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by LostTemplar » September 17th, 2013, 8:38 pm

LosTZealoT, can I contact you somewhere (E-Mail or something)? Somehow private messages seem to be turned off for new members. Anyway, I might have a few things to share.

LosTZealoT
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by LosTZealoT » September 18th, 2013, 7:56 am

@LostTemplar

Nice name, and sure. You can email me: Join.xbS (at) gmail.com