Quake on PlayStation - Is it possible?

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
Czeky
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Quake on PlayStation - Is it possible?

Post by Czeky » March 23rd, 2021, 9:39 am

I was always interested in making a game for the original PlayStation, and I've always had Quake in my mind. I know they wanted to make a port for the console back then, but it got cancelled for unknown reasons, which is a real shame, because Quake is one of those games that nowadays can be run on anything that has a 3D capable videochip inside.

Now first off: I'm not an expert, I cannot even program in C. I can import and edit files, and convert them in different types, heck, at one point I've even opened the models from Quake in blender after I've exported them from the pak file.

Second, and the main topic: Why did no one port Quake to the system before? I mean sure, I've read that it's hard to develop for PS1, but even the DS got a "playable" homebrew port, and since the source code is available online, I'm not sure why noone bothered to port the game to the PS1, with proper modern style analog controls, and with some optimization and compromises I think it can be done. And also there's the fact that Quake 2 got a release on the system (albeit with some weird controls and load times between segments).

Homebrewing this game would be great, but also very time consuming, I'd do it if I could program in C, and know how the console's hardware works.