Clock Tower controls hack... it's possible?

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
koi-fish
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: casual dev & modder
Motto: Motto:rola68K
PlayStation Model: PSXpi

Clock Tower controls hack... it's possible?

Post by koi-fish » December 10th, 2020, 5:31 am

EDIT 17/12/2020: This topic shall be closed. Further talks with "smarter-than-me people" had concluded there's multiple hitting walls with this, very hard to come by with ASM hacks. I.e. Scissorman search seems to be dependant on player's controls and there's unreachable hotspots making the cursor mandatory. Anyhow, thanks to everyone having a sec to give this a read and a thought ;)

Of course it is, I just wanted to catch your attention. The thing is I love this game but the controls... agghh that painful slowly cursor! It surely was an step backward after the more playable SNES pseudo2D controls.
I'm sure there's many in the forum who also have fond memories from this PSX title.
Wouldn't it be great to alter the controls to something more ala Resident Evil, Vagrant Story or else?
I know it's feasible because long ago found a RE1 GameShark code which allowed to perform different animations via button combo (you changed the animation to display by altering the last two code digits). So I took one of the alphas with second pad input for debug menu and adapted the code (actually an array of codes) to get a second player, ending with a "playable npc?" which couldn't move or rotate in it's axis. Think in a animation viewer controlled by second pad and you pressed up then advance anim played, R1 button played aim anim, etc. Shoot action (R1+X) never happened.
It was all scrapped because in addition enabling npc worked in some rooms and in others it did strange things or even crashed the game. I ended shifting to other matters and forgeting about it until recently.

Concerning "Clock Tower" I would like to get a similar scheme:
if button (up) is pressed then play walk anim and advance
if button (left/right) are pressed then play walk anim and rotate model l/r
The cursor could be easily disabled visually by swapping a full alpha TIM file instead, but it should be also killed in execution. But this could interfere with hotspot/item selection which should be enabled pressing X button instead of
point&clicking it.

To be honest, what I really want is to produce the itching in some Clock Tower fan here. A fan more skilled and smarter than me. Why are you still reading? Go and hexcode/inject EXE!
Pleeeease, I wanna play it but don't wanna do it.
Hyenas are taking over the world!