Modifying a PSX.EXE File

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
DRRDRR
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Modifying a PSX.EXE File

Post by DRRDRR » May 12th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Hi, everyone.

I'm trying to modify a couple of values in a PS1 game's PSX.EXE demo (taken from OPM Summer 99) basically trying to change which two selectable characters there are, since I re-did the entire game's audio and wanted to make it work for an altered demo version of the game.

I've attached the EXE if you guys wanna take a look. I've spent hours trying to disassemble the thing, and I found basically everything I need except for this one specific thing. It's 4 AM and I figure it's time I take a break and ask the people who know waaay more about this stuff than me =P

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 12th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Best method to do this would be by using NO$PSX, Ghidra and IDA. Then, you can use PSFlab to inject or patch the instructions.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

DRRDRR
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by DRRDRR » May 13th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Shadow wrote: May 12th, 2020, 10:38 pm Best method to do this would be by using NO$PSX, Ghidra and IDA. Then, you can use PSFlab to inject or patch the instructions.
The sound is entirely done and playable in the game, I'm just trying to change the value in the .EXE that changes the two playable characters to two different ones. I've tried to pinpoint exactly where that might be, but no luck still... thank you for the reply, though!