Petscop : Is this game possible on PS1 hardware?

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
selfrun
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Petscop : Is this game possible on PS1 hardware?

Post by selfrun » April 24th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Over the last few weeks footage of a game titled Petscop purporting to be a cancelled and lost PS1 game has appeared on youtube. Discussion has taken place online and it seems that nobody can conclude if it is possible on actual PS1 hardware and I was hoping to get some input from the knowledgeable members here.

Here is a link to the first video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6RK8o ... e=youtu.be

and here are some screenshots

Many reddit users who seem to have limited technical knowledge are concluding that this bucket in the center is not possible on the PS1 hardware due to it's polygon count.

Other people are saying the lighting in this following video timestamp is not possible on PS1 hardware

https://youtu.be/teJDdkWHAdw?t=78

Any input is appreciated.

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » April 24th, 2017, 5:02 pm

yeah, I doubt crash bandicoot runs on a real playstation too, way too much polygons and details

oh wait ...

this Petscop game is totally doable on a PS1, there are many games made in the late Playstation days that have advanced smooth lighting source, so I think the light effect is feasible, and for the bucket, it just seems to be some gouraud shaded polygon like in Tobal 2 (which by the way, runs at 640x480 @ 60fps !)
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

selfrun
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by selfrun » April 24th, 2017, 6:09 pm

Orion_ wrote:yeah, I doubt crash bandicoot runs on a real playstation too, way too much polygons and details

oh wait ...

this Petscop game is totally doable on a PS1, there are many games made in the late Playstation days that have advanced smooth lighting source, so I think the light effect is feasible, and for the bucket, it just seems to be some gouraud shaded polygon like in Tobal 2 (which by the way, runs at 640x480 @ 60fps !)
Thanks for the response. I believe the game seems to be using fixed-point precision which is more evidence towards it running on actual PS1 hardware. (or made to fit within the limitations of the PS1 hardware)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 24th, 2017, 11:57 pm

What? The PlayStation 1 can handle that without any problems. I'm not seeing anything special being done in that unreleased game whatsoever. I don't think that's lighting, but rather an alpha mask of RGB 255,255,255 being rendered in the ordertable.

The level "Lights Out" or "Fumbling in the Dark" in Crash Bandicoot did it too, though I think they did it with polygons instead to take advantage of the GTE's speed. Naughty Dog were also very clever in writing a highly optimised engine in assembler for the PlayStation 1 from scratch. The same was done with Spyro to achieve a ridiculously far draw distance whilst maintaining a high frame per second count.

Actually during the developers preview event of Crash Bandicoot, Sony was being abused by users saying "No way the PlayStation can do that. They've got more powerful machines in the back running the game hidden from us".

With the right programming and clever techniques using the hardware to the maximum extent, anything is possible on the PlayStation 1. It's one hell of a machine, and even for beginners it's a perfect console to develop for. Sony Computer Entertainment Japan did an amazing job with it, whilst since the European division of the company took a strong liking to the system afterwards, it helped develop more first party custom tools, support for developers and further expand library functionality, driving the quality and outcome that the PlayStation delivered to a jaw-dropping experience.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA

Post by gwald » April 25th, 2017, 10:45 am

Orion_ wrote:this Petscop game is totally doable on a PS1, there are many games made in the late Playstation days that have advanced smooth lighting source, so I think the light effect is feasible, and for the bucket, it just seems to be some gouraud shaded polygon like in Tobal 2
Nobody is saying it can't be done on PS1, of cause it can be done, it's simple enough.

The question is, is it actually running on PS1 hardware?

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer

Post by Orion_ » April 26th, 2017, 6:26 pm

gwald wrote:The question is, is it actually running on PS1 hardware?
you will never know, unless the guy make a video showing the CD spinning on a real hardware.
but really, I doubt a Unity game could reproduce the 320x240 pixel look of it + composite video output glitches.
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA

Post by gwald » April 26th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Orion_ wrote:
gwald wrote:The question is, is it actually running on PS1 hardware?
you will never know, unless the guy make a video showing the CD spinning on a real hardware.
but really, I doubt a Unity game could reproduce the 320x240 pixel look of it + composite video output glitches.
I believe you man, if you think it's legit, I'm with you :ugeek:

Johanomyi
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Johanomyi » April 27th, 2017, 6:49 am

I don't get it. This guy was a developer of this game and he lost it, and now he found it? Or somebody just found game that was never released? :shrug
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

selfrun
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by selfrun » May 31st, 2017, 12:08 pm

I was just alerted that someone on the discord server detailed the lighting used by the PS1 and why petscop would be impossible on actual hardware. Can anyone confirm this?

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Game Designer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by NITROYUASH » July 29th, 2019, 6:38 pm

So this is how it looks on a real PS1... (Light code from n00bdemo)