controller input for psyq

BIOS, Controllers, Memory Cards, Serial I/O, Parallel I/O, etc.
Tylerpsx
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
Motto: You can do it if you know how
PlayStation Model: 5501

controller input for psyq

Post by Tylerpsx » October 28th, 2022, 11:46 pm

Hi I thought I would post a new thread because I did not see my question in any of the threads

can anyone help explain to me how to program the anolog controller inputs on psyq
I am trying to program the DualShock/analog stick controllers for a FPS game I understand the controller keys padlup padldown padlleft padlright padl1 padl2 and padRup padrdown padrleft padrright padr1 padr2 finally padstart and padselect. I don't know anything about the analog or vibration functions.

Sorry If I sound really stupid I am new to playstation development the only low level experience was on hardware for x86,and x64.

Re thread

Where should I look at getting information about controller interrupts and learning about programming timings
Last edited by Tylerpsx on October 30th, 2022, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » October 29th, 2022, 3:36 am

Low Level
Use the controller I/O ports. There you can do whatever you want. But you'll have to transfer data byte-by-byte and deal with timings and use polling or interrupts.

Kernel
Use InitPad and StartPad. That can read controller data, including analog inputs. It can't send data to the pads (=no vibration control, and no way to automatically switch to analog mode; the user must manually press the "analog" button).

PsyQ
I've never used that. Looking at their Run-Time Library Reference, PadSetAct seems to allow to control vibration.

Tylerpsx
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
Motto: You can do it if you know how
PlayStation Model: 5501

Post by Tylerpsx » October 30th, 2022, 9:09 am

Where can I find how to configure the io iterrupt table and timings and data transfer for the controllers

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » October 31st, 2022, 2:02 pm

My own document: http://problemkaputt.de/psxspx-contents.htm contains info about low level hardware I/O, and also higher level kernel functions (the latter is about same as the psyq docs - check out which one is easier to read - note: I've documented only the built-in kernel functions, not the psyq extensions for things like vibration).
Or try to find some homebrew psx games with source code and analog support.