PC Mouse on PSX

BIOS, Controllers, Memory Cards, Serial I/O, Parallel I/O, etc.
ackerman
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

PC Mouse on PSX

Post by ackerman » May 25th, 2020, 9:39 pm

I'm doing a project to use the PC mouse and keyboard on a PSX.

https://github.com/rpsubc8/serialpad

I have already 100% finished the use of the mouse. The keyboard is commented in code, but a test screen is still missing.
I don't use an official PSX mouse, but a PS/2 PC mouse or with usb to PS/2 adapter is used, together with a arduino.
For those who want to test it without lack of hardware, I have made a simulator with the auto hot key script.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 26th, 2020, 5:13 am

You don't need to use the serial port if you make your own library for the MIPS side. Just translate the keyboard buttons to analog positions. The amount of bits you have is a 32-bit unsigned char (0x00 to 0xFF) on each axis which is heaps. You could have probably up to 10 keyboards connected to the PSX because each keyboard is typically 101 keys. 1 key per bit.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

ackerman
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ackerman » May 27th, 2020, 7:42 pm

I'm not using the PSX serial port for the keyboard, but the port for the controls, to ensure that it works even on the PsOne.
How would you propose to be able to connect up to 10 keyboards, translating to analogue positions, by attacking the arduino directly to the analogue stick potentiometer?

ackerman
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ackerman » June 2nd, 2020, 10:52 pm

Since testing is time consuming, I have uploaded a visual demonstration in both emulator and real hardware of how the mouse works on the console. This way, you can see the operation in real time without making any modification.

Mouse on PSX emulator

PC mouse on real PSX