GameShark, Action Replay & Pro Comms Link pictures

BIOS, Controllers, Memory Cards, Serial I/O, Parallel I/O, etc.
Type 79
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

GameShark, Action Replay & Pro Comms Link pictures

Post by Type 79 » September 26th, 2012, 12:46 am

Few pictures of GameSharks.
Image Image
Last edited by Type 79 on August 1st, 2013, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 26th, 2012, 1:48 am

I have a Pro 3.0 thanks to a friend who gave it to me ;)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Type 79
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Type 79 » August 1st, 2013, 12:49 am

Image Image Image Image Image

Action Replay - Datel Ref 1215
Pro Comms Link - Date Ref 1113

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: IT Consultant, Systems Integrator
PlayStation Model: 7501

Post by Gradius » August 2nd, 2013, 8:17 am

Just buy a PCie Parallel port and you're good to go.

Or mod it to be USB-ready.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Motto: /\OX[]
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by t0rxe » August 2nd, 2013, 4:36 pm

Gradius wrote:Just buy a PCie Parallel port and you're good to go.
Won't work. Those PCI-E parallel ports don't work with SPP mode and cause a lot of issues.
"Nostalgia isn't a big enough word to describe the PlayStation from my eyes"

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Gradius » August 4th, 2013, 7:58 am

t0rxe wrote:
Gradius wrote:Just buy a PCie Parallel port and you're good to go.
Won't work. Those PCI-E parallel ports don't work with SPP mode and cause a lot of issues.
Really? Well, I have one here, I still need to test it thought.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » August 5th, 2013, 11:02 pm

My laptop has a PCI-E LPT port in it which is ECP and it works just fine. Dont think it actually matters what mode you have it set to in Windows 2000/XP/7 etc as the IO driver used by the software talks to it directly. There are some PCI-E printer ports which are designed just for printing which are useless for this.

Only problem with the newer gameshark is that it is unsupported by caetla as far as I know.

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » August 6th, 2013, 4:16 am

This kind of action replay are not to use with parallel port (even if it looks like)
it can be used only using a ISA comm link card. ISA port is obsolete in today standards.
you can only use the Xplorer action replay with a parallel port.
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Gradius » August 6th, 2013, 2:50 pm

danhans42 wrote:My laptop has a PCI-E LPT port in it which is ECP and it works just fine. Dont think it actually matters what mode you have it set to in Windows 2000/XP/7 etc as the IO driver used by the software talks to it directly. There are some PCI-E printer ports which are designed just for printing which are useless for this.
I confirmed you need to have a LPT1 or LPT2 in the ports 0x378 or 0x278 respectively, or it will not works!

The software is way too dumb and limited to "talk" to LPT in other way. So in case of PCIe it will not works, however somes PCI cards allows to be mapped on old default ports (see above), but these are rare today.

Btw, the real default port should be 0x3BC, but I always saw 0x378 since when I started to using 80286 (my 1st PC), back in 80's.

If we had the source code for GSPro tool it wouldn't be hard to readapt to today's standard. Or just to create a new totalio.sys (allowing new mapping).

AR/GS protocol:
http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/psx/GS32Comms.htm

Code example:
http://hitmen.c02.at/files/src/psx/GS32Comms.zip

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » August 7th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Orion_ wrote:This kind of action replay are not to use with parallel port (even if it looks like)
it can be used only using a ISA comm link card. ISA port is obsolete in today standards.
you can only use the Xplorer action replay with a parallel port.
Unlike the Older AR/GS version 1 or 2, the Gameshark Pro V3.0 Is for use with a parallel port, not the comms link card.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » December 30th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Here's another PCB (photo taken by Charles MacDonald, some of the below PIC notes and schematics are from Charles, too):

Interestingly, this thing contains an 28pin PIC16C55 microprocessor. The GameShark Pro V3 photo from Type 79 does also seem to have a PIC on it (the small 8pin chip with blue marking, and text 12C50 or so; it's hard to read on the photo) (the other 8pin chips on the various PCBs are probably all 78L05 voltage regulators; though the part number isn't legible on all photos).

Schematics
http://dreamjam.co.uk/emuviews/old2012.php - GameShark and GoldFinger specs/schematics (at bottom of page)
http://dreamjam.co.uk/emuviews/old2011.php - Comms Link specs/schematics (at top of page)
Two cautions:
For the PIC: the schematic showing the connection to the Flash OE# is a mistake; the pin is not connected to anything.
For the Comms Link: There are DIP and SMD versions, official "Datel" versions, and supposedly unlicensed "Kent" versions. As far as I understood, Charles originally used a Datel card with DIP chips, and, after it broke, switched to using a Kent card with SMD chips (mentioning that here because the Comms Link schematic may contain info from the two PCB versions mixed together; though they should be working the same, so that mixing might be no problem at all).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nocash on August 25th, 2016, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » January 6th, 2016, 6:00 pm

I got two carts, one blue (action replay label) on the left, grey no label... both have caetal v .35

Not sure if any of these are v3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gwald on January 7th, 2016, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Post by Greg » January 7th, 2016, 6:45 am

I think you have two action replay, both are 3 chip config.
1 x SCPH-7501, 2 x SCPH-7001, 2 x SCPH-5501
1 x Pro Action Replay with "Dual Rom Mod", ROM 1: Caetla, ROM 2: UNIROM
1 x Xplorer V2 with Caetla
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

rimsky82
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: IT Consultant, Developer

Post by rimsky82 » May 17th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Why are we taking pictures? I have 8 or 10 cartridges I could share pictures of they would prove useful.

Also, CommsLinkUSB is a thing? I want one.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy

Post by DD-Indeed » January 27th, 2017, 1:26 am

Hey, I gotta ask couple questions. I just bought this for 10 bucks:

I already figured out, that it's a japanese made Action Replay-clone, made by Karat. If I did understand correctly, it uses this E.M.S V1.5 ROM in it. And the code list inside it is on txt-format, so it could be edited in PC. What's more, it includes build in modchip (if the information is correct).

Hopefully there would be someone, who knows about these to answer certain question that I have:

1. Since it's japanese device and I live in PAL-region with PAL console, does PAL codes work with that alongside genuine game discs I have ?

2. Is there any way to connect it to PC and tweak it with PC ?

3. Can I install different, better ROM to it ?

This is one page, where I found some good info about these devices:

http://xianaix.net/

Hopefully someone could help me with this, would be much appreciated. :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 27th, 2017, 1:01 pm

1) Should do.
2) Yes but you need a FreeWing or a CommsLink ISA Card.
3) You should be able to put CAETLA, but it'll be useless for PC comms.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » January 27th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Matt wrote:1) Should do.
2) Yes but you need a FreeWing or a CommsLink ISA Card.
3) You should be able to put CAETLA, but it'll be useless for PC comms.

Thanks Shadow, much appreciated. So basically, it's useless thing nowadays, I can't just buy CommsLink USB cable or anything like that to be used with that ? Or will this kind of cable work with it ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Male- ... 1736470990

I dicussed about this on other forum and one guy over there told me about, that these cheat cartridges can harm your system, they apparrently burn something from the video chipset. I assume, that it could be about, that if you play import games with PAL system, it can harm the video chipset, if you haven't done some modifications to it, right ? He stated specifically about 5500-series consoles.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 27th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Yeah it's useless except for using it as a cheat cartridge really.
No that cable won't work.
Err, that information is false.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » January 27th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Matt wrote:Yeah it's useless except for using it as a cheat cartridge really.
No that cable won't work.
Err, that information is false.
Allright, thanks again, gotta just manually apply the codes to it then and hope that it works. Tried some codes with Medievil, but couldn't get it working. Gotta test out more, but finding PAL codes is difficult task nevertheless.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » January 27th, 2017, 10:21 pm

DD-Indeed wrote:Gotta test out more, but finding PAL codes is difficult task nevertheless.
Try BSFree or GameHacking.