problem converting .rom to .exe

BIOS, Controllers, Memory Cards, Serial I/O, Parallel I/O, etc.
lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

problem converting .rom to .exe

Post by lyokopsx » November 1st, 2017, 10:36 pm

Hello everyone

here is a solution to convert .rom to .exe

And thank you in advance

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » November 2nd, 2017, 3:38 am

thank you in advance
thanks for the advance

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 2nd, 2017, 2:29 pm

lyokopsx wrote:Hello everyone

here is a solution to convert .rom to .exe

And thank you in advance
What is the point of this post. You want a tool to convert a ROM file to a PS-EXE?
I don't think such a tool exists. The ROM file contains the header information for the BIOS to look for to boot from on the parallel port. If you rip out the header and maybe it's possible, but I've never tried it.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 2nd, 2017, 11:02 pm

Shadow wrote: What is the point of this post. You want a tool to convert a ROM file to a PS-EXE?
I want to make sure that I want to launch these little rom that does not exceed the size of the memory card for me to launch with Mclaunch

here is

And thank you in advance

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Student

Post by CodeAsm » November 3rd, 2017, 1:21 am

EXEs up to 112 KB are supporte
So you have a ROM? what kind, what does it do? did you write pure assembler? or is it caetla or ActionReplay rom of some kind?
Development Console: SCPH-102, unkown clone Modchip, PAL , FTDI board build into the case (microUSB) for Serial I/O.
Development Computer: GNU/Linux, Arch x86_64 Linux 4.20.3, i7-3632QM [8x3.2GHz], 11,8GiB, 1366x768 GeForce GT 630M (Optimus tech), lots of gig of storage

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 4th, 2017, 12:38 am

thanks for the advance

for now I have some x-flash compilation .rom which are caetla
the question is does it exalt this convert?
here is

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 4th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Shadow wrote: What is the point of this post. You want a tool to convert a ROM file to a PS-EXE?
yes

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CodeAsm » November 5th, 2017, 3:33 am

lyokopsx wrote:
yes
if I understand you correctly, you have a "cheatdevice" and want to put a rom file on it, and you believe you need to make it into a PS-EXE to do so?

This Romfile is "firmware' for the cheatdevice. What is the name of the device? or what does it run at this moment? maybe (probably not me) someone can help you find the best/easiest way to get the correct firmware on the device.

After googling for "x-flash + Playstation" I came up with: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=135 by our very Shadow :D maybe this is what you need?
Development Console: SCPH-102, unkown clone Modchip, PAL , FTDI board build into the case (microUSB) for Serial I/O.
Development Computer: GNU/Linux, Arch x86_64 Linux 4.20.3, i7-3632QM [8x3.2GHz], 11,8GiB, 1366x768 GeForce GT 630M (Optimus tech), lots of gig of storage

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 5th, 2017, 11:45 pm

thank you in advance

what is a cheatdevice?

I only have a gamehunter cd cartridge version that is dumper with uniroms stanlome plugin and I want to run these caetla from this mclaunch because the uniroms that conient caetla do not dump on this cartridge

and i also want to know if there is any other converter of other format than the .bin etc ...

And thank you in advance

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CodeAsm » November 6th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Aw, I see you have asked multiple times on this forum about these kind of questions.

I dont know why, but ive searched arround a bit. http://darius-saturn.com/forum/viewtopi ... 81#p166448
So your gamehunter seems to have 1Mbit of rom space by default, that is why you only flashed Unirom and could not fit Caetla or any other rom/plugin on it?

So your question basicly is: I want to start Caetla, but have Unirom burned on my gamehunter. So can I boot Caetla from CD or Memorycard (using MClaunch)?.

I have no idea if thats posible, but maybe it helps someone answering your question. if all fails, you could ask on that french forum, it looks like they know what they are talking about. even with enlarging the total of ROM space of a gamehunter.

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 7th, 2017, 12:07 am

Thanks for your honesty
CodeAsm wrote: So your question basicly is: I want to start Caetla, but have Unirom burned on my gamehunter. So can I boot Caetla from CD or Memorycard (using MClaunch)?.
yes

it is the gamehunter cd verion gray I have with unirom v6 stand-in plugin and this plugin has it mclaunch that I want to run these caetla in .exe if it is possible?

CodeAsm wrote: Aw, I see you have asked multiple times on this forum about these kind of questions.

I dont know why, but ive searched arround a bit. http://darius-saturn.com/forum/viewtopi ... 81#p166448
So your gamehunter seems to have 1Mbit of rom space by default, that is why you only flashed Unirom and could not fit Caetla or any other rom/plugin on it?
Aw, I see you have asked multiple times on this forum about these kind of questions.

ask on that french forum, it looks like they know what they are talking about. even with enlarging the total of ROM space of a gamehunter.
for the french forum I am already incrit a single member who knows how to do this and I wait these repence to this day has it but it remains absent every time

and thank you for your support

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CodeAsm » November 7th, 2017, 7:02 am

I see, again why you asked for a rom to exe program. but now we know wich (and what type) rom. You want to start Caetla or alike just like a normal PS-EXE.

Short answer for what I know sofar, no, not posible. Unless:
1, a PS-EXE equivelent cheat entering program already excists
2. someone could make a BIOS, or Caetla to PS-EXE converter. (probably some kind of memorycopier that puts caetla in the right spot and points the PC to it. Not my cup of thea tho)

Unless someone sees some fun into this and does it, or someone knows a PS-EXE that could already do game hacks like the Caetla and gameshark, I dont think anyone would write such patch, or program because either you get Caetla on your cheatdevice (gamehunter) or you find another way to boot your programs and cheat using a plain old cheatdevice.

btw, ive read you have a second carddrige adapter thing for your PS1 ? what firmware does that one run ? maybe I misinterpreted that forum post. But else, you could use 1 adapter for cheating (load Caetla on it) and the other for developing games/apps?

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 8th, 2017, 12:10 am

thank you very much for your franchise

it's too bad that he does not have a solution for that

on the other hand it exsiste one that I find in this link it is called exe2rom which does the opposite here is the link http://badtaste.free.fr/psx/outils/outils.htm

kHn
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kHn » November 9th, 2017, 12:35 am

There's no generic PIO ROM to PS-X executable converter for an obvious reason : most PIO ROM programs use the PIO memory area as true working RAM/ROM.
Caetla 0.3x, for example, has 60+ APIs in the PIO expansion memory (part of its ROM), which are functions that are used for many purposes (including the actual cheat engine and the drawing of things). That's why it crashes as soon as the cartridge is removed.
Cheat devices can also copy their user interface to the main RAM, like the Xploder and the AR/GS Pro series do, and call the PIO memory mapped functions later (and in game from kernel hooks as well).

Caetla has packed modules (executable segments), one per sub-menu. As said above, they all invoke APIs from the PIO mem. When I went to copy the APIs to the main RAM and craft a subroutine to fix the pointers of the unpacked modules, in order to produce an exe from the rom, I had that terrible feeling, like "meeeeh, not worth the hassles, gonna buy a CD based bootleg". An opcode scanner tool to fix the pointer, like the one I've made when I've patched the 256KB UniROM rom for the odd Datel-style EEPROM mapping, is completely useless on Caetla; as it requires a lot more of tedious hax sadly.
A patch/tool would have to be specifically designed for specific cheat cartridge ROMs.
DVS pirates have compiled the EXE from a reworked caetla 0.33 src.

EXE to ROM conversion is a whole different thing, since it relies only on two things. A valid header and a stub to copy from PIO expansion RAM to user RAM and jump to its entrypoint.
BTW, there's ROMProd.

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 9th, 2017, 11:59 pm

thank you very much for your repence he has enlisted my vocabulary in hack psx

and what ROMprod how to use it?
is it a good idea to waste a CDR? or epsxe ca will suffice?

and why does Exe2rom exonise that does the opposite easily? was there to be programmed with the sdk?

and thank you in advance I am happy to know you so I count on you to help me about me?

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CodeAsm » November 10th, 2017, 2:43 am

lyokopsx wrote: and what ROMprod how to use it?
is it a good idea to waste a CDR? or epsxe ca will suffice?
Short answer, no good idea to waste a CDR. ROMprod is if I understand it correctly, made to convert a PS-EXE to a rom file for your Gamehunter. So you can run a EXE from the card instead from CD or serial cable.
lyokopsx wrote: and why does Exe2rom exonise(exists?) that does the opposite easily? was there to be programmed with the sdk?
kHn kinda explained it already.
kHn wrote:EXE to ROM conversion is a whole different thing, since it relies only on two things. A valid header and a stub to copy from PIO expansion RAM to user RAM and jump to its entrypoint.
The other way, ROM to exe requires knowledge of how the rom works and write a PS-EXE that can load this rom into memory and patch it, or patch it before writing the PS-EXE to let all functions know where they can find their friends and parents functions. (reread kHn reply, I understand a bit more about the trouble of ROM 2 EXE now aswell).

"DVS pirates have compiled the EXE from a reworked caetla 0.33 src." is that working and released? can diz do cheating ? hehe.

easiest I think is, to have another card with caetla or flash your maincard to do cheating like you want to do. If you purely want to play homebrew, why bother with caetla?

lyokopsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by lyokopsx » November 11th, 2017, 3:15 am

I thank you very much for this information

what I want to know and the diferance between exe2rom and ROMprod ?

And thank you in advance

kHn
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kHn » November 11th, 2017, 8:53 am

CodeAsm wrote:"DVS pirates have compiled the EXE from a reworked caetla 0.33 src." is that working and released? can diz do cheating ? hehe.
This actually.
Yup, the cheat engine works. At least for the few codes I tried. Technically, this thing eats more main-RAM than Caetla.
Is it OK to post a disc image download link, or it'd break the forum rules ? I've uploaded the original disc dump and some exe hax somewhere...
BTW, it requires a special dongle to save the code list and the frontend settings.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 11th, 2017, 9:48 am

Nope, it's okay to share the link. That's what this site is for :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

kHn
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kHn » November 11th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Thank you. So, here's the stuff : GameGenius.zip
The hacked images just bypass the dongle checks and wont let you save to normal memcards :shrug .