Is it possible to remove sounds from an .str file?

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
protozero
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Is it possible to remove sounds from an .str file?

Post by protozero » November 23rd, 2015, 2:28 pm

Hi. I don't know much about this stuff so this may be a stupid question. I love the music used in video games especially the ones used in Rockman (mega man) games. Anyway, there are games like Super Adventure Rockman where the music plays during the streamed cutscenes. I was wondering if it would be possible assuming one has the knowledge to remove only certain sounds from these cutscenes without messing with other sounds (the music)? I am unfamiliar with XA audio and don't really know if it is already mixed. Any help would be appreciated. I would love to learn more about this stuff. :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 23rd, 2015, 2:38 pm

protozero wrote:Hi. I don't know much about this stuff so this may be a stupid question. I love the music used in video games especially the ones used in Rockman (mega man) games. Anyway, there are games like Super Adventure Rockman where the music plays during the streamed cutscenes. I was wondering if it would be possible assuming one has the knowledge to remove only certain sounds from these cutscenes without messing with other sounds (the music)? I am unfamiliar with XA audio and don't really know if it is already mixed. Any help would be appreciated. I would love to learn more about this stuff. :)
It's already interleaved. You can remove separate tracks however from SPU RAM based audio using ePSXe.
Play around with it and give it a try.

As an example, here is a sound I ripped from Crash 2's start-up sequence.
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/download/fi ... iew&id=726
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.