How to retrieve the sample rate of sounds in .VB/.VH files ?

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
aybe
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

How to retrieve the sample rate of sounds in .VB/.VH files ?

Post by aybe » October 17th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Hi !

I am working on a modern engine for Wipeout 1 / Wipeout XL,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPn4LnSJY2o[/youtube]

I am trying to get the sound part working, thanks to the resources on PSXDEV I've been able to get what I want from the docs except for one thing: finding the sample rate of each sound in a .VB/.VH combo (VAB / VAG format but in a weird form).

So far, I haven't been able to find the slightest hint (such as pitch note) in the .VB part, however there's one thing that makes me hope it is possible : VABTOOL from PROGRAMMER_TOOLS_DTL-S2002_22_CD_10-16-98 does play them at the correct speed. (this being a problem only for Wipeout 1 as Wipeout XL uses VAG files whose sample rate is definitely in them)

Question: is it really possible to get the sample rate of individual sounds in a .VB/.VH combo, or not ?

Thank you :clap

EDIT

This doesn't seem to be possible, as in contrast to VAG format where it is, in these there isn't any. It does seems that early titles would use this format, more recent ones using VAG instead. So basically you'll have to listen to them and deduce their sample rate.