getting MIDIs to play on psx

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

getting MIDIs to play on psx

Post by Yagotzirck » December 1st, 2013, 12:31 am

I'm experimenting a little with SEQ format, trying to play a few midis... converting them is a piece of cake(SMF2SEQ), the troublesome part is creating a proper .VAB sound bank for the seq to be played properly. Does anyone have a clue about this?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 1st, 2013, 1:31 am

Try using VABTOOL.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » December 1st, 2013, 5:13 am

I've tried it already but didn't find any option to import VAG samples. I'm messing with Awave Studio(kudos to ughman for suggesting that) and made a .vab out of FMOD's soundfont, although I just can't get it to work properly in any way(wrong/desynch'd instruments being played and whatnot when using the whole vab, while importing only the instruments played by the testing midi i'm using results in tick noises). The fact there seems to be no documentation available about this doesn't help either