How to play PSF files with the Playstation?

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
hally
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

How to play PSF files with the Playstation?

Post by hally » October 24th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here so please excuse me if I say something strange.

Is there any way to play PSF music files with the Playstation itself?
As PSF files might not be intended to do that, SEQ/VH/VB general purpose player for the Playstation is also welcome if such a software is available.

All the best,

isufje
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by isufje » October 25th, 2013, 5:07 am

a PSF file, not that i know of... but u can use PSFLab to revert (uncompress) a PSF back into a PSX EXE that can run on real hardware.

A SEQ/VH/VB general purpose player is totally possible (and quite easy) to make :) -Do u want one?

I extract SEQs and VABs all the time from uncompressed PSF files for use in my project, but i've never had a use for a general use VAB player. I generally only listen to music on my computer only :P

This is what i do... first find a PSF u like, then convert it to a EXEcutable. Then use a program called "search v1.1 reptile"
If the EXE has standard format VAB SEQ data, the program will automatically generate a TXT file with their addresses. At that point, just use a hex-editor to "cut them out" ... now rename them to either .VAB or .SEQ and u got the original uncompressed data for use :D

hally
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by hally » October 26th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Hi isufje,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'd love to use a general purpose player!

I want to listen to some game soundtracks usually not playable without problems on the real hardware. I've already extracted SEQ/VH/VB with the way you explained. Please consider the player if it's quite easy to make :D
Last edited by hally on October 27th, 2013, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hally
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by hally » October 26th, 2013, 9:56 pm

About PSFLab thing, I also tried to play the reverted PSX EXE on emulators. However, don't know how to merge a PSF file with psflib file...

TubeBar
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by TubeBar » November 10th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I would also love a player where we could compile PSF's into a bootable ISO for CD-R and PSX.

hally As far as I know you can't just load a PSX EXE file to the real hardware, you will need to compile the exe using a format tool to the proper (and bootable) ISO and then burn to a CD-R. I haven't played with PSX in years but I recall hacking ISOs and screwing up the format that PSX thought it was an unknown CD. If you have a PSX EXE it can't just be slapped on a CD and expect it to play.

I do know you need to get past the BIOS protection as CD-Rs won't boot on standard PSX/PS2 hardware but guess these days people use a bootcd? Mine was chipped years ago so not a problem. Of course you could also play it on a soft-modded PS3 but it will be emulated just like PC players.

Ar_Edar
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Gamer, Student in C
PlayStation Model: SCPH101

Post by Ar_Edar » February 24th, 2016, 11:55 am

This is exactly what i am searching for! An PSF player for ps1 would be rly nice! It was already made?

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » February 24th, 2016, 9:26 pm

A seq/vh/vb player that could be added as a plugin for Sicklebrick's UniRom would be very welcome.
Something based on Mark Grass' generic psf driver for example.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 24th, 2016, 10:08 pm

hally wrote:A SEQ/VH/VB general purpose player for the Playstation is also welcome if such a software is available.
Why not program one? :shrug

You'd have to do a search off of the CD-ROM in real-time for VH headers so you know what file is what. However, some games wont work because the developers encrypt or shuffle/scramble the data around for security. Some will add them to a single file and buffer though them like a tree list (EG: DATA.BIN (not a disc image, but data)).
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » February 24th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Shadow wrote: Why not program one? :shrug
I would if i could. :mrgreen:

As for getting the data, that part isn't a problem for me as i already made and released some PSF sets almost a decade ago.
Some used standard psyq format, some were Sony's custom format (eg Arc the Lad 3, Popolocrois 2, etc...)
But until now i always used generic drivers or recycled others (Wild Arms 2 driver for those mentioned above.)

My lack of knowledge to code my own stuff is what brings me here so maybe one day i'll be able to learn enough and go on my own. ;)

Ar_Edar
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Gamer, Student in C
PlayStation Model: SCPH101

Post by Ar_Edar » February 26th, 2016, 9:24 am

If we had one example in playing the sequence set (seq/vh/vb) we could certainly do something. I think theres no example of doing this in the example's area...

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 26th, 2016, 2:13 pm

Ar_Edar wrote:If we had one example in playing the sequence set (seq/vh/vb) we could certainly do something. I think theres no example of doing this in the example's area...
I got one on my Windows 98 PSX development machine. I'll have to upload it at some point...
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.